I'm so confused! My pendulum gave me wrong answers?

For discussion and questions about divination techniques including runes, crystal ball gazing, psychic readings, dowsing, etc. Questions, answers, and talk about Divination.
Throughalloftime

I'm so confused! My pendulum gave me wrong answers?

Post by Throughalloftime »

Hello everyone, I am new to Wicca; I am also new to divination. A few weeks ago I got a new pendulum and the shop I bought it from gave me herbs to cleanse it in. I left in there for a few hours. I only used it right after I took it out and the few days after that. It seemed heavy and moved very slowly. It seemed to move so slow I didn't know exactly what it was answering. Sometimes it would be moving and then when I asked it something the direction changed very slightly so it confused me. I also have very shaky hands in general.

They were questions I shouldn't have been asking it, such as things I already knew the answer to but my anxiety pushed me to ask it. I asked it things like "am I a lesbian?" even though I am very much into men (I am gender fluid, however.) And asked it "do I love my husband?" even though I know I love my husband. So, basically it either gave me complete wrong answers or it was too slow or subtle for me to distinguish the answer. I also have high anxiety,. However, I have 2 cats in my household. I know they can get rid of negative energy, but do their abilities pertain to ALL negative energy? Or just negative energy coming from spirits? I am really confused and would like to know more about why this would be happening and how I can fix it. Happy New Year and Merry Blessings!
a.e.d.
Siona

Re: Im so confused! My pendulum gave me wrong answers?

Post by Siona »

Divination is like any skill, and requires practice. Also, not all forms of divination are suitable for everyone. If you are very shaky (I am, as well!) using a pendulum might not be the best thing for you, or you might try using one with a stand.

That said, asking questions you already know the answer to is one way to get to know a pendulum. If you are not using it with a board, ask it questions you know the clear answer to, and see if there is a certain pattern for yes and one for no. But if you are asking the same questions out of anxiety, that will not give good results. Divination also works a lot with your subconscious, if you're anxious while doing divination that is going to affect things, and you may get unclear messages if you are using something like a pendulum.

I don't necessarily believe all cats get rid of all negativity. Cats can live in homes with negative energy, or with negative spirits, etc. Animals might warn you or act differently when these things are present, but I don't think any one type of animal inherently keep such things away. If you are worried about negative energy in your home, you are best off learning to cleanse and bless your home yourself.
Throughalloftime

Re: Im so confused! My pendulum gave me wrong answers?becaus

If it's really confused, can it swing in the wrong direction just because it's not sure how to answer?
a.e.d.
Throughalloftime

Anxious about the answers my pendulum gave me

Hello all, happy new year and merry blessings! I am new to wicca and divination. And I am having an issue that has to do with BOTH divination and my anxiety.. so, I figured I should post it in the suggestions forum. A few weeks ago I bought a new pendulum. It is a heavy tiger stone and it moves very slow. I am having a ton of anxiety about its answers, (or non-answers?) that it gave me. Basically, when I bought the pendulum from the shop they gave me a bag of herbs to cleanse it in. I left it in for a few hours before I used it the first night. I left it under my pillow for a couple nights and used it a lot within those 2 days I had bought it.

Unfortunately my anxiety/ocd causes me to ask questions that I already know the answer to but due to the anxiety and ocd, I'm always doubting things, so I asked it more for reassurance. For instance, I am primarily attracted to men but am also gender fluid. In the past, my anxiety made me question my identity, even though I already knew for my whole life I have been into men mostly. The openness of my sexuality is something that has taken me awhile to process. So, driven by my anxiety, I asked my pendulum things like "am I a lesbian?" and "am I attracted to men?" and also other questions I already knew the answer to, like "do I love my husband?" I already knew I love my husband, that I'm not a lesbian, etc. Completely irrational questions, really. Most of these answers I don't remember exactly, because I recall sometimes the pendulum moving so hesitantly I didn't know what it was answering, and sometimes it would give me a flat-out wrong answer.

So now I'm worried. Like it's possible for a pendulum to be inaccurate right? And also, I have cats in my household. Would they have been able to block any bad energies coming through if need be while I was using the pendulum? Please help! I am brand new to wicca and divination, have no family or friends that are witches, and this anxiety is so bad!
Merry Blessings and Happy New Year everyone!
Thank you for reading :)
a.e.d.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Anxious about the answers my pendulum gave me

Post by SpiritTalker »

Let me start with the cats...I have four wonderful cats at present. Their next meal occupies their attention between naps. They hide under the furniture when startled by the mailman or a passing fire truck. I've never encountered the belief that cats block negative energies. Are you by any chance thinking a cat is supposed to be a "witch's familiar"? B'cuz most times a cat's just a cat. Like any animal they are sensitive to things we mere two-leggeds lack the perception to notice ... And then hide under the furniture, which I think is a reasonable attitude. All the catnip toys are under the furniture for safe keeping.

And why would there be any negativity around your pendulum? You'd just cleansed it. Were you doing something to summon, stir up or call forth something undesirable?

I've replied to one of your other pendulum posts, so I won't repeat my ramblings here. From what you've written here, it looks like you've begun attuning yourself to the tiger eye pendulum, and by sleeping with it have imprinted your vibes on it. That's a good way to establish a relationship with any tool. So I think you might be just a bit too expectant. Give it some time and let yourself relax with the inquiries.

It may be helpful to save asking things you already know the answer to for the warm up, as a means to varify which direction is Yes or No before beginning real questions. Otherwise you are consciously telling yourself by your actions that you don't accept the possibility of subconscious knowledge. You skuttle your own boat. Every so often let yourself laugh at how keyed up your OCD anxiety cycle gets. Laughter is a good way to break the cycle.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Usually there are 3 possible moves...yes, no & not sure. For example yes might be forward and back, no is then left to right, and not sure would be going around in a circle.

Since you are just beginning with learning the pendulum, don't take it's replies as the Word of The Oracle. Wait and see. After you've had time to observe and varify a response or two that the pendulum had given, then you will be able to start trusting the responses. To keep asking what you know is setting it up to fail by displaying your lack of openess to the possibilities of subconscious knowledge.
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

(Some personal thoughts) I will try not to be too "heavy" and I apologise if I "ramble away", however I free associate; its habitual. When Awen flows its not always wise to stem it.

Intuition is developed from two wellsprings; the decision to pay attention and trust. Its like a successful relationship - communication. The tools such as pendulums are techniques for intuition and the sub-consciousness (perhaps even mass-unconscious) to communicate. They hold no more magic of themselves, anymore then tea leaves do. You hold the key to that particular "magic" - its in you, your third eye of imagination.

When one method is inconclusive or you "intuitively" feel it is wrong (hmmm), don't get bogged down in it, set it aside, reground and find your center (away from the new niggling doubts you have picked up) and use a different method ... or simply set the enquiry aside, perhaps task the enquiry (in the form of a spiritual petition) and expect it will be revealed to you with observation and time.

Anxiety is always going to present you with problems I'm afraid. Centering, grounding and shielding should perhaps be priorities - when grounded life just tends to flow better regardless of spell work and all other elements. Anxiety is perhaps not best suited to divination work, there is a tendancy to jump to conclusions, chase lapwings, when information is best set to the side and studied later in the cold light of day. The difference between peeking over the hedge and falling into the faerie ring. Any element can be productive (usually in balance) or harmful (usually misused or in extremes).

When the universe knows you're patiently waiting and watching it tends to gently push things into your field of view. Its a contract. However the universe doesn't create symbols - they are there, like a stream of genetic code running through the grain, waiting to be recognised as messages, observed , perhaps even acted on.

Expectation is the wrong attitude to have, its a magical damp squib. There is no rush usually beyond our desire
- or need - for definition and conclusion. It doesn't work like that because its a journey. People spend half their lives seeking definition, the comfort and security of it, only to spend the second half, should they develop their spirituality, relinquishing both the anchors and the chains, in the developing recognition that they are temporary or illusions; you are the only center - YOU in the center - your awareness, not the archetype you have built around yourself of who you wish or believe or have decided yourself to be.

Perhaps endeavour never to make a judgement, make an observation based on ongoing revelation and avoid the fall into the trap of creating predermination and being blinkered by creating "conclusions" and writing your own script.

... of course witchcraft is very much about writing your own script ... there's no easy or conclusive answers ... only what is harnessed profitably and unprofitably. Its usually finding the right balance.

----

And you who seek to know me,
know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not,
unless you know the Mystery:
For if that which you seek,
you find not within yourself,
you will never find it without.

- Doreen Valiente
planewalker
Banned Member
Location: In my head with all the other inmates. We think one of us is schizophrenic.

Post by planewalker »

It would help you to make sure at the start of the day to ground and center yourself. You might want to look into some anti-anxiety exercises or meditation. If you want help I can walk you through a full cleanse of your living space and yourselves. It's my "thing" since I approach it from the AmerInd and Craft roles. I've always left people satisfied with the outcome.
planewalker
Banned Member
Location: In my head with all the other inmates. We think one of us is schizophrenic.

Post by planewalker »

Spirit is one my go to's when I want to hash things out. I've been in the Arts more then 50 years. You can trust her judgement. Their are others on the site that are go to's. Firebird, Snow, Lady Lilith other's that I'm not trying to snub, I'm just off the top of my head and the first who made me welcome as a guy in a classically feminine endeavour.
Throughalloftime

I guess I'm just worried the pendulum was trying to tell me I'm gay? Which isn't true and is irrational but it's the ocd.. if it's a question you already know the answer to, or since my sexuality is not black and white, is it difficult for the pendulum to give an accurate answer?
a.e.d.
Throughalloftime

Re: I'm so confused! My pendulum gave me wrong answers?

Hi Corbin. So if you're not grounded or centered this can make a pendulum inaccurate? And what about cats?
a.e.d.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Just my 2 cents, but I think you've processed what folks are saying OK when you condense it as more or less if the pendulum is wrong then your subconscious is wrong because you aren't grounded.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

The pendulum is a dumb tool with no consciousness. It is an extension of your arm. Your own mind is the respondent. Maybe you are telling yourself something relevant. You thought you knew the answers to your questions but aren't really sure of yourself. Life isn't just black and white, either this or that. And a pendulum is limited to yes or no, this or that expression. Most times life is this AND that. It comes down to if you can just be OK with yourself as you are, with or without definitions.
Throughalloftime

No but that's the thing I am ok with myself. I'm happily married and my husband is the center of my world. It's just that I have anxiety and constantly doubt myself. And I have shaky hands and the pendulum is very heavy. I wasn't even concentrated to access my subconscious. Do you think that's just unintentional movements on my part?
a.e.d.
Throughalloftime

So you're saying my subconscious can be wrong if I'm not grounded?
a.e.d.

Return to “General Divination”