Do you have trouble doing readings for yourself?

For discussion and questions about divination techniques including runes, crystal ball gazing, psychic readings, dowsing, etc. Questions, answers, and talk about Divination.
Obsidian

Do you have trouble doing readings for yourself?

Post by Obsidian »

As the title says, do you have trouble understanding readings you do for yourself?

When I do readings for others, I get reasonably good feedback which makes me think that I am an okay tarot reader. However, when I do readings for myself it's a totally different story. Sometimes I can't even work out what spread would be best and quite often I have no idea how to interpret a certain card in regards to my question even though I know the meaning of that card. I don't have these problems when doing readings for others. Does this happen to anyone else?
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Do you have trouble doing readings for yourself?

Post by Xiao Rong »

I think this is very common; I certainly have this issue myself. I think we are sometimes simply too close to the situation in order to "see" objectively. Rather than giving the message they intend, we see in them what we desire (or don't desire). That's why so often we receive advice to consult another reader -- to get a "second opinion", so to speak, that isn't quite so hampered by what WE want to hear.

For what it's worth, even the great Merlin, who could foretell the future of others so clearly, could see into his own future!
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
FlyingPeregrine

Post by FlyingPeregrine »

It often takes a while for me to decipher what my spread means. I write it down and then write down meanings and work out what it could mean for me. I typically use the traditional spread with 10 cards
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

Xiao Rong wrote:I think this is very common; I certainly have this issue myself. I think we are sometimes simply too close to the situation in order to "see" objectively. Rather than giving the message they intend, we see in them what we desire (or don't desire). That's why so often we receive advice to consult another reader -- to get a "second opinion", so to speak, that isn't quite so hampered by what WE want to hear.
I totally agree with this...I tend to see what I want in it
instead of what's actually there.
Gentle Light
MsMollimizz
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings
blue_moon

Post by blue_moon »

Here! Me too...

I'm a pretty good reader but i can't do spreads for myself. Just simpel 1-3 card ones.

The problem is - like Xiou says - it gets hard to tell what the cards mean. It might just be my desire.
BB

Blue Moon

Return to “General Divination”