Do cards mean different things according to different decks?

For discussion and questions about divination techniques including runes, crystal ball gazing, psychic readings, dowsing, etc. Questions, answers, and talk about Divination.
hermitage

Do cards mean different things according to different decks?

Post by hermitage »

Hey guys,
Wondering if some of you could sheld light on this question.

I noticed that the 4 of cups from the Witches Tarot Deck (see here: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/23 ... 8ace4d.jpg)

looks different to the 4 of cups you normally see (here: https://40.media.tumblr.com/f761b51d6c9 ... o1_400.jpg)

So I am wondering, given the difference in art, could these cards both carry different meanings then?
Because it seems like that.

The 4 of cups in the second option seems to represent discontent, realizing things weren't all what they seemed etc.
But the first example seems to show acceptance and welcoming etc.

Thoughts anyone?
Becks

Re: Do cards mean different things according to different de

Post by Becks »

Sometimes authors/artists include an explanation for any changes they make in a booklet included with the deck. Do you have anything written?

I think of the typical meaning of the card as being grateful for all of the blessings we have, and not looking past what's actually there while we are wanting something that we don't have.

In the deck you show-it looks like they have linked it clearly to the three of cups card, built it from there, and added one more cup and person. The deck seems to be emphasizing the point of view for the gratitude for what's there; versus showing the same concept (or its opposite) through the image of the guy who is being a twit and ignoring what's there for him, and looking for something that isn't. (That was my last boyfriend to a tee hahaha). :) I think essentially stating the same concept in a positive way instead of negatively. I'd have to see the rest of the deck to determine if that's the general theme.

Just my thoughts.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

My view is that every deck is different and yes, many decks do have the artist's 'baggage' that has affected the interpretation and dragged it away from the truer, clearer meaning of the RW and Golden Dawn.
Those two cards do have different meanings, the RWS card shows the person looking down avoiding and ignoring the fourth cup, the other deck has the fourth cup being the centre of the card and the focus.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Yes, the artist's interpretation of the cards affect the meaning of the cards in that deck. That's why some decks resonate with you and others don't. I don't consider that to be "baggage", though -- if you find a deck that really "clicks" with you, then that artist's unique interpretation can actually help improve your insights and tap into your intuition even more (I also don't really consider the RW and Golden Dawn to be the "true" meaning of the Tarot -- those were also artist interpretations! They just happen to be older).
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
hermitage

Post by hermitage »

These are all fabulous points, thank you guys.

No, I don't have the actual deck to be able to read the comments.
I had a tarot reading done around a relationship.
Long story short, in love with a girl who loved me, we both wanted to marry each other, but her family disapproved of the union. A new suitor was found to replace me and the girl, feeling like there was no place to go with me decided to give that relationship a go.

The situation made no sense so I got a reading done.

It was like a 7 card or so spread.

From what I remember:
She was represented by 3 of swords for present.
In the past I was inverted fool.
Relationship itself was Queen of pentacles
How we feel about each other was Ace of Cups
I in present was represented by Knight of swords.
Future was 4 of cups.
The world card was drawn in the beginning too.

The deck was the witches tarot which shows those 4 women.

So I'd been pondering this meaning. Because in the witches tarot deck 4 of cups seems to mean acceptance to me.
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Post by RosieMoonflower »

It really depends on what the card means to the reader. A deck may come with a description for each card, but that doesn't trump the readers intuition. If the description says one thing, but the drawing of card gives the reader a different feeling, then that feeling applies to the card too. It's all in how the reader interprets the cards and how they play off of each other. If you're the reader of this spread and the card means acceptance to you, then it may mean that in the future you will accept that she chose the other suitor over you, and you will move on.

It's interesting because I once did a tarot card reading for myself to examine and past life relationship with someone I know currently. The cards revealed that we were once in a very similar situation to you. Only at the time, he was the young woman who's father didn't approve and I was the man. She chose the other suitor over me. The cards showed me that I moved on eventually and had a family of my own, and that I was happy. You will be happy one day too I believe.

Rosie
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Xiao Rong wrote:Yes, the artist's interpretation of the cards affect the meaning of the cards in that deck. That's why some decks resonate with you and others don't. I don't consider that to be "baggage", though -- if you find a deck that really "clicks" with you, then that artist's unique interpretation can actually help improve your insights and tap into your intuition even more (I also don't really consider the RW and Golden Dawn to be the "true" meaning of the Tarot -- those were also artist interpretations! They just happen to be older).
It depends if you work with the archetypes,

Noting that I said 'truer and clear' I would be interested to hear about what you do consider the true meaning please?
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

I had trouble with a Tarot deck, always felt like something's missing.
Finally, I looked thru a site with 1,500+ decks to find one that tickled
me. It really tickled my head when I took a look at the Soul Cards I had
finally chosen for myself.
I went back to the site to grab a couple images of the cards for something
and found out there are more decks called Soul Cards ! How confusing !
What I liked about my deck is that there's no set meaning for each card.
I have found doing readings that one card can mean different things for
different readings. I like that and I have no more problems with feeling
like something's missing.
Gentle Light
MsMollimizz
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings

Return to “General Divination”