Are there any forms of Shamanic divination?

For discussion and questions about divination techniques including runes, crystal ball gazing, psychic readings, dowsing, etc. Questions, answers, and talk about Divination.
Naudia Threng
Banned Member

Are there any forms of Shamanic divination?

Post by Naudia Threng »

I was recently looking into more methods of divination, and since I'm a student of shamanism, I was wondering if anyone knew of a shaman specific method of divination? I like my magick to match.
O Goddes, all praise to you. Ta em hotep, anekh hrak. Lady Isis, I adore you. Nebet aset, tu a atu.
Heartsong

Re: Are there any forms of Shamanic divination?

Post by Heartsong »

I think divination responds best when you're using a method that you are both comfortable with and that speaks to you. I've been studying various paths in the Northern Tradition for over a year, and that includes shamanism. I'm no shaman, but I felt a need to look into the Elder Futhark Runes and incorporate their use into aspects of my practice, including divination. I still use Tarot as well. I would suggest that you perhaps take some time to meditate or reflect on what types of divination speak to you and your specific path. I've often compared divination to a conversation, and just like a conversation, divination tends to be far more accurate and compelling if you "speak" with something that you have a connection with.
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Draconus

Post by Draconus »

What medium works for you? That's the one you should explore first and in depth. I, also, am not a shaman but if there is a specific way that they do it... there is a possibility that you might not connect with it. Then again, maybe it's right up your alley. As with street magic that I have practiced for a looong time, once you have a trick, you don't need to go looking for a new one until you have explored all aspects of the one that works for you already.
Fjäll1291

Post by Fjäll1291 »

The Norse "völva" was a shaman. She travelled the country to meet people and see into their future.
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

In my experience, a shaman doesn't read runes or sticks or cards or anything of that sort. The shaman reads the person. If you've ever met a shaman, you'll know what I mean. Just being around them causes things to stir inside.
Ruth

Post by Ruth »

Yes they do! They have no needs for those
Positive Thoughts and Good Vibes
sillyoldman

Post by sillyoldman »

Azure Lily-Do not try to overcomplicate things. So many times we tend to do this becoming bogged down and like birds flying in small circles, never getting anywhere.You have your whole life before you, relax and enjoy the many wonderous things Mother Earth has placed before you. It is my belief that through simplicity, truth may be found. Mother is a far greater teacher than any of us here.
just a silly old man who knows nothing and has everything to learn.
HopefulChild

Post by HopefulChild »

Just my quick opinion.

I know this topic is a little old.

All divination is Shamanic.

The oldest forms are Augury, and the casting of lots. Runes are a more modern and organized form of casting lots.

Augury is watching patterns in nature, most notably watching the paths of large groups of birds. How they fly, how they land, how they take flight as a group. The meanings for different activity would have been handed down orally from one shaman to the next for generations so you should be able to find some books related to the collected consensus of multiple traditions and form your own.
One thing to consider for Augury is that you would routinely have to travel to find the flocks. So a shaman wanting to glimpse the future would set out to speak to the gods and pack up some stuff and take off wandering and making camp and night and meditating and looking for signs for the questions on his mind.

Casting lots can be any system where in you have a collection of things, and you assign meanings to those things, and you either remember the meaning for each thing, or you mark each thing to indicate it's general application of meaning and then you toss them on the ground, or a table, or mix them up and pull them blindly from a bag or box and contemplate the significance of each one as you do so.

The most significant debate in casting of lots is related to the newness of the lots to be cast.
One school says that you need to make new lots each time you attempt to get answers. So if you want to cast runes, you go out and find a tree, cut a live branch and make runes from that branch and use them in the same day. Once the sun goes down on that day you bury them in the ground and never touch them again.

The opposing school says that you can re-use runes and the more time you spend working on creating them, or working with them, the stronger the connection becomes and the more accurate the information you can get over time.

There is also some debate on whether or not a person can get any useful information from lots/runes that they have purchased, instead of created.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Kind of like this ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjYGB4uYgWw
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Yex

Post by Yex »

In Andean shamanism, coca leaves are used for divination here's a link to an interview with an Andean curandera that is ostensibly about coca divination, although it actually is more about the philosophy of andean shamanism. It doesn't give any details on how it's actually done, and I wouldn't recommend it anyway, as coca is illegal in most of the world.

There is of course also scrying, which is a form of divination, and is utilized in some form or another by many shamans - with and without the aid of hallucinogens (eg datura, mushrooms, ayahuasca).
love is the whole and more than all

Return to “General Divination”