Which stone is this?

Discussion and questions about the magical properties and uses of crystals and stones.
Nerys

Which stone is this?

Post by Nerys »

Many years ago, when I still was able to travel, whilst on holidays/vacations in other countries,I used to buy supplies in shops and out in nature look around, if I see some item to take home. Like pebbles from the beach.
One day after a short walk in the woods area Taunus - Germany about 7 mtr from car look down and see a stone, it was kidney shape so I picked it up took it home. Over the years I look into my gemstones/rocks books but not sure what it is. Anyone who knows the identity of this stone? Any known correspondences for it?
Attachments
stone Germany.jpg
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Which stone is this?

Post by SpiritTalker »

I’ll make a wild guess and suggest a type of lava stone often used for fire places.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

It looks metamorphic to me, but a positive I'd is iffy. Geology of the area may help narrow it down and you have that. Start there. It also has be tumbled by wave or river, what's upstream? Or the surrounding shores?
I really like the patterns, nice to scry upon the images in the darker veins there. 👀😊
Cool.
Wonder if Evil Ed has an idea, Ed...you out there?
Bb, FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Nerys

Post by Nerys »

I looked up Taunus area but it has 3 distinct geology areas and no neither I nor my partner remember which side/area of Taunus woods we visit.
Parking area was near woods so was cleared forest/woods floor little leaf.......woods had more leaf was late summer. When I pick it up I think is a kidney shape so useful kidney something perhaps in future. It was similar in color to soil/ground so it quite the look down right second to see it, lucky.
I ask on Reddit/r/whatsthisrock someone mention sandstone or quartzite. Sandstone not sure and the inclusions/veins seem different.
It is wooded mountain area but what I read just few minutes ago online old ancient sea bed Devonian period. Going to read now about Devonian......
evil ed

Post by evil ed »

firebirdflys wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:42 pm
Wonder if Evil Ed has an idea, Ed...you out there?
Bb, FF
Greetings All!
Can't say for sure with only the picture, but I'm 85 to 90% sure it is sedimentary. A very fine grained sandstone, or quartzite conglomerate would be my best shot at the ID.
Still a dang pretty stone! It doesn't have to come from a rock shop to adsorb, hold, amplify, and release "positive waves" ( just like Oddball talked about in 'Kelly's Heroes'!) :)

E.E. :twisted:
By the prickling of my thumbs,
something Wiccan this way comes!
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

LoL, so we have igneous, metamorphic and sedimentary! Sounds like you have one magical and mysterious rock there! I would be inclined to go with Ed's diagnosis though.
Bb, FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:

Return to “Crystals and Gemstones”