Crystal for a staff? (Answered)

Discussion and questions about the magical properties and uses of crystals and stones.
Silversong
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow (if the rainbow is in Oregon)

Crystal for a staff? (Answered)

Post by Silversong »

So, I'm going to start making myself a staff to use in ritual, and I want to put a crystal in the top. I have a gorgeous amethyst crystal I really want to use, which really does attract me (out of, you know, the seven or eight amethysts I have... courtesy of a best friend who has a cave where they form in his property), but I'm not sure how appropriate it would be for a staff used for likely all kinds of magick. Could I get some second opinions on amethyst's properties and what crystals might be good to use in a staff? (I'd use clear quartz but I don't have any that's not in bedrock still >.<)
EloquentElephant

Re: Crystal for a staff?

Post by EloquentElephant »

The properties are not all that makes things magickal, but what they mean to you as well. If you feel you can direct energy through this amethyst well, then it would be great! As far as its already discovered common uses, it is a stone of calming, protection, and I have always found it receptive. I get strong vibes from amethyst. My wand is topped with amethyst and I use it in all sorts of things. As for other stones, you already named the most popular choice. I used to have an obsidian tipped staff that worked great up until it chipped.

Best of luck,
-Elly
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

I think amethyst would be a fine choice. The vibrations of purple are highest on the spectrum and are associated wih spirituality.
Purple has a long association with mastery and royalty.
Amethyst is also well know for it's ability to keep one from becoming intoxicated and the name is derived from a Greek word meaning "not drunken", and in that association it is my belief that adds clarity of mind. It also brings peace, psychic awareness, prophetic dreams.
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Silversong

Post by Silversong »

Protection qualities? That may explain why I'm so attracted to amethysts... I tend to gravitate towards stones with that sort of energy.
I did not know most of that; thank you to both of you!
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Amethyst is protective, which would make it a good choice for a staff. It's one of those things that's useful as well as decorative. I am quite jealous that you can just go get them right from the source.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Silversong

Post by Silversong »

Okay see now my problem is trying to figure out how to attach it >.< Here's the crystal:

There's a point on the bottom that my thumb is covering. (In case you're wondering about the orange speck, there was a light on in the room behind me. I was attempting to show the transparency of the tip. Not sure if I succeeded.) I was originally going to drill a hole in the top of the staff (I'm using a dowel), which would leave a rim of about 1/8 inch all the way around to make the crystal fit, but now that I'm out of school I don't have the school wood shop to do that in. I'd have to use a friend's grandfather's shop, which would be kind of difficult. So I'm trying to figure out an easier way to do it. Any ideas? I seriously don't think wire-wrapping will work, because of the point on the bottom and the flat top of the dowel. I could cut off the top of the dowel at an angle, maybe, but that would be almost as difficult as drilling a hole in it.
dualhands

Post by dualhands »

I am under the impression you are capable of getting your hands on a knife. If so that would be much better as you can carve out from your staff EXACTLY what you need, look at the stone, carve some, look at the stone, carve some, and repeat until it fits snuggly. Once that is done go get some copper wire from A craft store like Michaels as its quite affordable in my opinion. Proceed to wrap 3/4 of an inch below the stone till the wire is wrapping over the stone, and wrap till desired length while still holding the stone in place.

Also, there is electrical conductive adhesives out there. however they typically are expensive and usually you have to order them online. But if the stone is being finicky and doesn't want to sit in the staff, it would be a good decision if your going to be using this staff in the long run. You would also only need a small amount of this adhesive, leaving you with a sizeable amount to produce staffs,wands,amulets for future use!

I hope I was of some help; and I wish you the best on creating your staff.

Please post a picture when your done!!
diligentibus te dilectio qua dilexisti me , sic fiat
Silversong

Post by Silversong »

The problem is I've never worked with woodcarving with a knife before, and I'm afraid the wood will be too hard anyway. I think I found a solution, though, so yay ^_^ I'll post pics of the staff once I've got the crystal set into it and then once it's completely finished. Thank you all for your input!
Silversong

Re: Crystal for a staff? (Answered)

Post by Silversong »

Yay! I got it attached now it just has to set for 24 hours and then I can decorate! I drilled a hole and used gorilla glue to keep the crystal in. I intend to wire wrap it as well for extra strength and support. My apologies for slight blurriness of the first three images.

From afar

A little closer

Right on top of it

The other side

Thank you all for your input and help!
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

That must be a substantial stone if that us your hand on the dowel. Nice job!
You may want to consider ribbon or leather to wrap right around the base of the stone covering the end of the dowell too some,
to make the transition less noticable, possibly covering any visible signs of glue.
bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Silversong

Post by Silversong »

The amethyst is I believe 7/8 in. in diameter at its widest point, probably around 1 1/4 to 1 3/8 in. long. (Yes, that is my hand on the dowel. The dowel's 1 inch in diameter.) It's probably the biggest of my amethysts, although one other one comes close. It's a bit longer but a lot skinnier (and paler).
The staff isn't finished yet, but yeah, I'm going to wire wrap the base of the crystal.. I've painted it black (all the way to the crystal and Lord and Lady was that a job to paint right up to the crystal and not get any black paint on the amethyst O_o), and glued the first of four hemp cords down the length of it - green, yellow, red, and blue, in that order, for the four elements. Once that's done, I intend to wrap the base of the crystal with silver wire (as I said), then decorate the staff with silver paint - runes, symbols, my magickal name in probably multiple languages, etc. I also intend to leave quite a bit of blank space so I can continue to add things as my magick and I grow and change.

Thank you for the "nice job" :D
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

That's gorgeous. I discovered some mineral specimens that my friend Bob had given me a few years ago. I still have a wand to finish, that I got at my cousin's wedding. I think I will use a couple of the smaller stones from Bob, and see what else presents itself. I like using things that have a personal meaning for me.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
dualhands

Post by dualhands »

Looking good!!

Make sure to wrap that wire as tight as possible. The best way to start it off is wrap it fully around so the "end" of the wire still has some slack, then twist the two together to get a nice grab on the staff, then start wrapping!
diligentibus te dilectio qua dilexisti me , sic fiat
Silversong

Post by Silversong »

Thanks for the tip, dualhands :3

Return to “Crystals and Gemstones”