Help re Cleansing

Discussion and questions about the magical properties and uses of crystals and stones.
Feather_Rainbow

Help re Cleansing

Post by Feather_Rainbow »

Hi,
I have a necklace with quite a large Garnet stone in it which I wear every day.
I was given it by my mother for my birthday, as it is my birthstone.

I was wondering if someone could tell me what the properties of Garnet are and how to cleanse it, as there is sterling silver surrounding it.

Thanks,
Feather_Rainbow
black-cat

Re: Help re Cleansing

Post by black-cat »

Hi dear friend,

General Gemstone
Garnets have been widely known for thousands of years, and it has long been known as the warriors stone, as soldiers from the world over wore or carried this gem as a talisman against death and injury. But it was also said to bring victory, peace and tranquility, as well as healing injuries by stopping the flow of blood.
When given as a gift, the garnet is said to grant loyalty and affection. If wearing a garnet though, beware if the stone loses its luster, this is a sign of approaching danger or disaster. A stolen garnet is said to bring bad luck to the thief until it is returned to the rightful owner.

Noah’s Ark and the light of Garnet
Even Noah, it is reported, used a lantern from Garnet in order to safely steer his Ark through the darkness of the night. Garnets are found in jewelry from ancient Egyptian, Greek and Roman eras. Many courageous discoverers and travelers wore Garnets for protection, as they were considered popular talismans and protective stones, because it was believed in those days that Garnets illuminate the night and prevent their wearer from any sort of evil. Today science explained to us that the proverbial luminosity of Garnet is caused by its high refraction of light, but the magic of the original lore is much more interesting!

Mystical Properties:
Garnet is a stone of romantic love and passion. Metaphysically it is used to enhance sensuality, sexuality and intimacy. It is said that garnet will bring positive thoughts and boost energy.
It is an excellent stone for manifestation, and can assist mystically with building one's self-confidence as well as success in one's chosen profession. The Garnet is commonly known as the stone for a successful business. If your business is not as good as it should be, just put three or more garnets on your desk, and improvement should be forthcoming.

A garnet gemstone under a pillow is said to prevent bad dreams, as well, wearing the gemstone in jewelry is told to help generate popularity amongst peers, and help alleviate depression; it will also bring constancy to friendships.

Garnet is also a protective energy stone which is especially effective for protection from evil. It is also often used for gentle spiritual healing. Lore tells that garnet can heal the blood, heart and lungs.

Healing Properties:
Garnet is found in a myriad of color...but just now we will speak only of red garnet in healing.
The Garnet is associated with the thyroid and spleen. Both organs may benefit with cleansing and purify with the garnet, when the gemstone is held over the organ.

A garnet held in the hand or placed atop the head whilst searching or meditating on past lives can be quite useful in bringing about what is being searched for, or meditated upon. Beneficial information for the searcher may be released. Although the information may be painful, it will be what the searcher needs, the garnet is a stone of truth and purity as well as a symbol of love an compassion, simply trust that the information will be released as it is needed for awareness and healing of spirituality.

Magical Properties:
Energy: Projective
Element: Fire
Powers: Healing, protection, strength
It is told that garnet holds not only the power to protect it's wearer from negative energies, but to send those negative energies back to where they originated from. If you are suffering from malicious gossip and lies, wearing a garnet will send the negative vibrations directly back to those perpetrating them. Whenever you hear or feel negative remarks, place the garnet between the trouble makers and yourself; the rebound will most assuredly go unnoticed until they suffer from the results.

Zodiac:
Associations: Mars
Traditional Birthstone for the Month of January.

Stone of Scorpio, Capricorn and Aries, garnet symbolizes constructiveness. Mystics believe it brightens dark souls and brings hope to people. This is to be said of all types of garnet gemstones.

Chakra Classification:
Garnet is associated primarily with the1st, Root or Base Chakra, but also with other chakras depending on its color, as garnet develops into many different colors, details may be found here.
Garnet is a stone that can connect with the kundalini energy of transformation. The garnet can regenerate and transmute; at the same time it can lift depression and help keep thoughts on a higher level.

Cleansing:

Sea salt is the most traditional purifying agent in psychic work and healing. It dispels any sort of dis-ease and negativity, and is a physical and psychic disinfectant. I feel it is the most accepted and probably the most powerful method of clearing crystals and stones. I highly recommend it for the initial cleansing of a new healing stone and for any time a stone is overloaded with negative energy. Salt can be mixed with water or used dry. To use salt water, mix a tablespoon of sea salt in a glass or ceramic cup of cold water. Do not use plastic or metal containers. Place the stones in the solution and allow to soak overnight. To use dry salt, place the sea salt in a glass or non-plastic container and bury the crystals with the points facing downward into the salt. Again, leave overnight. Sometimes a stone may take longer to clear, especially if it has been used in a deep, intense healing. If this is the case, leave another day or two in the sea salt. When clearing gemstone necklaces it is best to use the dry sea salt method. Be sure to use sea salt only, table salt contains aluminum and other chemicals. For those who live by the ocean, salt water can be brought from the beach in a jar, or gently wash them directly in the ocean.
Moonlight
Moonlight is another way of clearing your gemstones. Simply place outside from the Full to the New Moon. Waning Moons are good times to clear crystals, to dispel old energies, but any time works. The amount of time used varies with the sensitivity of the healer and the amount of material from which the stone needs cleansing. Try hanging your gemstone necklaces in a tree where the moonlight can cleanse them. (I personally do not recommend ever placing your crystals and gemstones in the sunlight, many stones tend to fade their colors in the sun. Also internal fractures may cause your stone to crack or break if placed in the sun.)
Other Methods That Work Well
Burying your crystal in a cupful of dried herbs will also clear it. Suggested herbs for this are rose petals, sage, frankincense, myrrh, and sandalwood. You can usually find these at low cost at many co-ops or herb stores. This is a gentle way to clear crystals, and a pleasant way, but it does take longer than sea salt.

Crystals may also be buried into the Earth. This is especially helpful when you feel deep cleansing is needed. Outdoors, simply dig a hole the size of your crystal into the Earth, place your crystal again point down, and cover with soil. The amount of time needed is personal choice. Be sure to place a Popsicle stick or some other marker to insure you fine your stone again!!! For apartment dwellers, use a flower pot to bury your stone in.

A quick way to cleanse your healing stones is to smudge them with burning cedar or sage. Smudging is an excellent way to make sure your stones are purified. Simply hold the burning sage or cedar stick while passing your stone through the smoke. I usually do this a couple times to ensure cleansing. I also like to cleanse my stones by smudging after every healing.

Finally, if you are in a hurry and feel that your crystal needs to be cleared, you can easily run them under cool tap water. Make sure the points are facing down the drain to run the negative energy right down the sink!!! NEVER USE WARM OR HOT WATER, THIS WILL FRACTURE OR BREAK YOUR CRYSTALS. Visualize the crystal as sparkly, tingly, cold, and belonging to the healer.

Brightest Blessings
Black-Cat

Return to “Crystals and Gemstones”