Few questions on methods of cleansing/charging

Discussion and questions about the magical properties and uses of crystals and stones.
James

Few questions on methods of cleansing/charging

Post by James »

Just some stuff I'd like to clear up.

Physical cleansing: I mean, 'physically' cleanse it, to get rid of dirt or dust, how do you? By using soapy water, toothbrush, etc

On using Moonlight: I've heard that the rays can pass through clouds but I'm not sure. In my area I rarely get to see the moon--or maybe it's just because I've only started paying attention lol--so would it be at all effective to place a crystal on the roof on a cloudy night?

Lightning: Eurhg, I've never really been interested in ions and whatnot and hardly paid attention at class, but after asking a teacher, so yeah ions--for now I'll call 'em 'stuff'--stuff that's everywhere at the time of lighting striking. Instead of leaving them outside, can I just leave it on a windowsill? If so, ought it be on ground floor or upper floor? And is it ok for the window to be shut?

Brown Rice: After burying the crystal in the rice for a few hours, is it required to throw it out? (The rice I mean) Can you also leave more than one crystal in the rice together?

Flower Soaking: Read it somewhere. Has anyone tried? Whadya say?

Sound: Does it have to be music only; what about chanting? I've read 'beautiful music' must be used, but 'beautiful music' like what? Classical or natural like whales singing or...? Do you chant positive affirmations 'to' your crystal, like "I am positive" or whatever, or is that more like 'dedicating'?

Running tap water: Er, even if it's got chlorine and everything?

Burying in the Earth Is it ok if I wrap the crystal inside a polythene bag or at the least in a cloth? or a box? And would more than one crystal in the same bag/box/cloth be ok?

Sunlight: I've heard of only a few crystals that fade in sunlight. Would some(one) please list all you know?

I think that's it. Thanks a lot for answering. :)
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Re: Few questions on methods of cleansing/charging

Post by Starwitch »

Here's an article I found on which stones will fade:

http://www.gemsmiths.com/Color_Notes.htm

The article says that ALL gemstones can fade if left in the sun for extended periods. Brown topaz and kunzite fade rapidly. The author also says not to use any household chemicals on stones, as that can fade them too. She writes:
It is common for followers of crystal lore to place some types of crystals in the sun to recharge their mystical properties. First, extensive exposure to bright light -- especially sunlight -- will eventually cause any colored gemstone to fade. Second, a crystal should be intact, or nearly so, to have these mystical properties. By definition, a cut gemstone is no longer a mystical crystal, so there is no reason to "soak" one in the sun. We had a customer do this with a very nice ruby heart -- it is now a fair quality light pink sapphire after being "soaked" in the summer Southern California sun for several weeks. If you still feel that you would like to expose a gemstone to sunlight to recharge any mystical properties, a few minutes total exposure over a lifetime is more than enough

If it's a store-bought crystal, it should already be physically clean. If you need to clean it, you can soak it in water to loosen any dirt then use a toothbrush to scrub any other dirt off of it. Soapy water really shouldn't hurt it either, as long as it's not some really harsh chemical cleaner.

I'm thinking you won't find a definitive answer on the question of what to do if the clouds are covering the moon, but my opinion is that the energy of the moon reaches all the areas that are beneath it, regardless of cloud cover. But still, I would personally prefer to see the moon if I were going to soak my crystals in moon rays. If all of this works through mind power instead of actual moon power, then being able to see the moon would seem to have a stronger affect and make you feel like your crystals are really being fully charged.

By the way, there are thousands of websites about crystals. If you search for a phrase like "charging crystals" or "cleansing crystals" (not "cleaning") or "magical properties of crystals", you'll find tons of useful information. It's a good idea to ask about it here too, of course, but in case you don't get all the answers you are seeking, you have the Google option.

Bright Blessings,
Starwitch
James

Post by James »

Thanks for answering, Starwitch.

Since the moonlight itself is just reflected sunlight, do you suppose that if I use a mirror to reflect sunlight on the crystals it wouldn't be as harsh? :?
One Walker

Post by One Walker »

The direct sunlight on the stone won't be harsh. Stones fading in color over time is perfectly natural and has nothing to do with strength of the stone. People fade away over time too you know! :lol: Bottom line is, how pretty your stones are should not be of primary concern. Here's a few tips:

Physical cleaning: Yep. Use soapy water. If the stone is heavy with grime go ahead and use a degrease-type dish soap like Palmolive on it. Clean your stones just like you'd clean yourself after a hard, grimy, sweaty day of work.
Rinse thoroughly.
Boil them in a pan with clean water that is distilled or tap-filtered for about 20 minutes (you can run tap water through a filtered coffee maker as an alternative.). Use real Rainwater/snowmelt if you can.
Rinse thoroughly. Tap water is fine.
Boil them again in clean in a pan with Sea Salt or Epsom Salt in it for about 20 minutes. This is like feeding them.

Set them out in unfiltered sunlight for 1-7 days. Sunlight is the energizing agent, NOT Moonlight. Remember that sunlight represents the physical and moonlight the spiritual. You don't want your stones susceptible to random spiritual influences during this recuperative stage so bring them in every night at sundown and put them in a brown paper bag or wooden container such as a drawer. Put them back outside at sunrise. Never leave them behind a window. Always let them have direct sunlight. How do you know when they're charged? When you hold them you should feel a strong, somewhat rhythmic pulse.

If you want to cleanse your stones by burial then use real Earth (potted is okay) or running water such as a river or creek, NOT Rice or anything else. Never wrap it in anything if you're going to use this method.

Flower soaking? No true reason to do it.

Sound? You don't know what frequency the stone resonates with so if you want music then be on the safe side and pick something soft, dreamy, relaxing. New Age Jazz from the 1980's might work well for this. Musical Star Streams might be a prime choice. You can find it at starstreams.com.

Hope this helped some! Blessings to you along this new path!

One Walker. :mrgreen: ::coolglasses::
We have seen what Power does.
We have seen what Power costs.

One is never equal to the other.
James

Post by James »

Thanks a lot One Walker, helped a lot. :D

What I meant by flower soaking, a lot different sites mentioned flower soaking transfers the purity and innocence of the flowers to the crystals and thus purify them.
One Walker

Post by One Walker »

Ah, okay. I hadn't heard of that before. It seems to me that, in a technical sense, the stone isn't going to absorb much of that unless it's very porous like Sandstone, etc. I'm not saying it wouldn't work or be effective, I'm just wondering HOW effective given the two very different natures of stones and plants.

I have heard of and done something similar with herbs and spices though. This would not be a cleansing/purifying thing but rather a kind of 'booster' or amplifier. For instance, you can take Cinnamon Sticks; chop them up or crush them; put them in water along with a rock of Sandstone, and let it sit and soak for several days. The stone will absorb the Cinnamon Water and retain the scent long after it is removed from the water. Kind of like a Rock Potpourri. Of course the Sandstone will absorb some of the properties of the Cinnamon but porous rocks seem to be generally receptive to that. The Cinnamon Stones (as I call them) are pretty cool! Good for De-stressing, relaxation, meditation, calming the room atmosphere, etc.

Anyway, I'm glad if you found anything helpful here. Good luck and Blessings to you!

One Walker. :mrgreen: ::coolglasses::
We have seen what Power does.
We have seen what Power costs.

One is never equal to the other.
incenseNpepRmints

Post by incenseNpepRmints »

One Walker wrote:Physical cleaning: Yep. Use soapy water. If the stone is heavy with grime go ahead and use a degrease-type dish soap like Palmolive on it. Clean your stones just like you'd clean yourself after a hard, grimy, sweaty day of work.
Rinse thoroughly.
Boil them in a pan with clean water that is distilled or tap-filtered for about 20 minutes (you can run tap water through a filtered coffee maker as an alternative.). Use real Rainwater/snowmelt if you can.
Boil them again in clean in a pan with Sea Salt or Epsom Salt in it for about 20 minutes. This is like feeding them.
I know this is an old topic (I apologize in advance for bringing it back up), but just in case anyone stumbles onto this like I did I just want to put it out there that some stones DISSOLVE in water (Selenite being one I can think of offhand since I have one) so you should really research each stone and make sure it's not sensitive to water, heat, etc. I know there have been other mentions of this on the board but I thought it would just be helpful to mention it here too :)

In any case, the tips mentioned on here are some I'll definitely try (so thank you!!) - I'm thinking of taking some soil from my current backyard, potting it and taking it with me when I move to bury and cleanse my stones in. Maybe it'll make a difference because I connect to that soil because it's my childhood home :).
Symandinome
Banned Member

Post by Symandinome »

James wrote:Just some stuff I'd like to clear up.

Physical cleansing: I mean, 'physically' cleanse it, to get rid of dirt or dust, how do you? By using soapy water, toothbrush, etc

My Response: I am not an expert on stones but I do believe you shouldnt use soap. Id say just to use blessed salt and water. The toothbrush seems ok as long as it isnt damnaging the stone * i dont know if there are stones that are so fragile a toothbrush would harm them*

On using Moonlight: I've heard that the rays can pass through clouds but I'm not sure. In my area I rarely get to see the moon--or maybe it's just because I've only started paying attention lol--so would it be at all effective to place a crystal on the roof on a cloudy night?

My Response: Just because you may not be able to see the moon doesnt mean it isnt there or its energies. When you place it outside try visualizing the moon in your mind and its energy connecting with the stones you are placing.

Lightning: Eurhg, I've never really been interested in ions and whatnot and hardly paid attention at class, but after asking a teacher, so yeah ions--for now I'll call 'em 'stuff'--stuff that's everywhere at the time of lighting striking. Instead of leaving them outside, can I just leave it on a windowsill? If so, ought it be on ground floor or upper floor? And is it ok for the window to be shut?

My Response: I would say to place them outside on the ground during the storm. I imagine you still could receive the energy from within the house but outside seems like the most logical choice. It's not like you have to stay out their and hold them.

Brown Rice: After burying the crystal in the rice for a few hours, is it required to throw it out? (The rice I mean) Can you also leave more than one crystal in the rice together?

My Response: This I have never heard of but sounds very interesting and I can see the logic behind it because rice absorbs so in essence your having the rice absorb any negative energy or what have you. I imagine this could be used for lots of things not just stones. I wouldn't throw the rice out because that is a slap in the face to the earth. I'd bury the rice in the ground or throw it into running water with a thank you being said.

Flower Soaking: Read it somewhere. Has anyone tried? Whadya say?

My Response: Not sure what your talking about but would love to hear more about it.

Sound: Does it have to be music only; what about chanting? I've read 'beautiful music' must be used, but 'beautiful music' like what? Classical or natural like whales singing or...? Do you chant positive affirmations 'to' your crystal, like "I am positive" or whatever, or is that more like 'dedicating'?

My Response: Sound is a useful tool for many things. I am sure that you could use recorded music but I'd imagine this is more talking about speaking your intent to the stone while visualizing the act taking place. I'd also like to mention that certain sounds hold a certain energy vibration. You can look into that more on your own. You can use sounds your make as a means of projecting energy and intent.

Running tap water: Er, even if it's got chlorine and everything?

My Response: If you dont have access to a purer form of water then it will just have to do. Chemicals or no its still water and has the energy of water although the potency of that energy is probably diluted because of the chemicals.

Burying in the Earth Is it ok if I wrap the crystal inside a polythene bag or at the least in a cloth? or a box? And would more than one crystal in the same bag/box/cloth be ok?

My Response: Burying in the earth is one of my favorite ways to cleanse or ground things. I wouldnt cover it up if you are just trying to cleanse it. Obviously if you were doing some sort of spell that the stone was involved in and the spell required you to bury the things I would bury it all losely as a whole or within the object that you might have been using in circle to contain the ingredients. I personally would only put it in a net like bag if I was going to attach it to something so that it was in a stream with water running all around it.

Sunlight: I've heard of only a few crystals that fade in sunlight. Would some(one) please list all you know?

My Response: I have no idea. I cant find a complete list I am sure you can find it by googling "which gemstones or which stones fade in sunlight"

I think that's it. Thanks a lot for answering. :)
hawthorn

Post by hawthorn »

don't wash selenite or get it wet, it will dissolve

Return to “Crystals and Gemstones”