Recommended Reading?

Discussion and questions about the magical properties and uses of crystals and stones.
Radiance

Recommended Reading?

Post by Radiance »

Lately I've been very interested in Crystals but there is so much contradictory information out there, does anyone have any favorite books about crystals or authors that they would recommend to me?

Brightest Blessings
Radiance
NightRose
Banned Member

Post by NightRose »

I highly recommend "The Crystal Bible" by Judy Hall. It is an amazingly informative resource that is not only helpful in identifying the crystals themselves, but also provides information about their magical properties and uses.
Demetri4

Post by Demetri4 »

I read that book. It gave so much detail. However I sold it. Does anyone know where I can get another copy.
Radiance

Post by Radiance »

Thank you! I've been recommended that particular book by a friend too, I'll have to check it out. I have a book by Judy Hall already. I'm also interested in the author Melody.

Brightest blessings
Radiance
One Walker

Post by One Walker »

Melody is good. Judy Halls' Crystal Bible or Encyclopedia of Crystals can often times be found at Half-Price Books or other used book dealers. You may want to give that a shot. You may also want to try Scott Cunningham's Crystal, Gem, and Metal Magic.

One Walker. :D
We have seen what Power does.
We have seen what Power costs.

One is never equal to the other.
Radiance

Post by Radiance »

Thank you One Walker. I do plan to check out a couple of second hand book stores. They are pretty wide spread up here but worth a shot.

Brightest blessings
Radiance
Witch13
Banned Member

Post by Witch13 »

i amazoned the crystal bible and its really soemthing, i am thinking of buying it, i dont know much about gems except of course from the basics :D
that could be the new chapter in my book of shadows!!!!!
reikihealer83

Post by reikihealer83 »

This is really helpful everyone thank you! I just got a coupon for Barnes so I am thinking I may get it. I have a question thought. What is the best stone/crystal to protect your house. I am looking for something I can put around my house like a grid or shield. Any ideas?
NightRose
Banned Member

Post by NightRose »

Personally, I would charge 5 quartz crystals and place them in a circular grid around the house. I choose quartz because they are easy to charge with your intentions and they hold energy well. I choose 5 because to me they represent the 5 points of the pentacle. If you don't use the pentacle in your work, pick a number or shape that works for you. The crystals should probably be shallowly buried so as to prevent them from being moved or damaged.

While you are placing the crystals (I am assuming here you are placing them outside the home, if this is not the case, let me know and I'll give you better information), you can envision a protective shield around the house. You can tie the shields to the energy in the crystals, and add personal touches of your own. The wards around my house are set to discourage those meaning harm from entering the property, to basically make them overlook the house or find something better to do. Ironically, they keep out the Jehovah's witness people. I guess I can see why.
One Walker

Post by One Walker »

A Holy Stone (A stone with a natural hole clear through it) in every room with a mirror, window, or door would be best. Unfortunately, these stones are hard to come by since a manufactured one is no good and natural ones are rather rare to find unless you have access to an ocean or old river!

Something else that you may want to try that would appeal to your Wiccan practices is some Rope Magic. I use this myself and it works real well:

Take a piece of PURE twine or yarn (no synthetics!) and a broom handle.

Wrap the twine around the handle and tie a Square Knot into the twine while visualizing the most powerful protective thing you can imagine; like a flaming shield or sword, a gun, a knife, a bat, or whatever thing represents the most protective thing to you.

Remove the broom handle, leaving the hole intact.

Go a couple of inches up the twine and repeat the process.

Do this NINE times. Then hang the twine in your rooms or carry it on your person if you want to.

Just an idea.

One Walker. :D
We have seen what Power does.
We have seen what Power costs.

One is never equal to the other.
Witch13
Banned Member

Post by Witch13 »

Hey, today i ordered the book.
i chose "the encyclopedia of crystals" by Judy Hall, which i believe is better than the crystal bible since they categorize the crystal according to their color so its easier for a beginner to identify stones :D
i love amazon with the inside look function :DD:
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

NightRose, do you think it will work if I bury the crystals in pots with plants? I live in a flat so I'm looking for alternatives,since I can't bury crystals circularly around the house,but I thought I could bury some of them in some of the pots I have in the balcony and place the others in certain places inside near the walls to form a protective "circle".
Merry meet and merry part and merry meet again.
NightRose
Banned Member

Post by NightRose »

That should be fine. For an extra boost, you could plant herbs in those planters. :)
reikihealer83

Post by reikihealer83 »

NightRose,

I am also in the boat of not being able to bury the crystals. I was planning on putting crystals at each door and window and using red jasper for the negetive energy barrier. Is this a good idea or should I use something else?
NightRose
Banned Member

Post by NightRose »

Red Jasper is an excellent choice, as it encourages reflection on the positive attributes in life, and is said to bring positive and healing energies.

With crystals lying out, you need remember that there is always the risk of them being moved. This isn't always a bad thing, but if you are tying them to a shield or ward of some type, and if someone happens to pick one up and move it to the other side of your house, well, one side of your house just had a ward go down.

May I suggest that you instead pick a central place in your house where you can place the crystals you have chosen for your home protection? When you protect your house, visualize the protective and positive energies spreading out from that point and filling the whole house. In addition to that, above the door(s) out of the house, you could hang either a crystal or a protective charm of your choice.

I am unsure of how many windows you have, but if it is many, it might be a little ridiculous to put a crystal at each window. Instead I usually take a bit of water and in the corner of each window trace a protective rune. It is enough that it can be seen, if one looks, but not so obvious that my not-Pagan guests notice or ask about it.

Hope that helped! Feel free to ask me any other questions you might have, crystals and home protection are both areas I have done a lot of work in.

Return to “Crystals and Gemstones”