Creative Ways to Connect to the Sea?

Talk, spells, rituals, and questions about the four elements.
GregoryLionborn

Creative Ways to Connect to the Sea?

Post by GregoryLionborn »

So, since it's been so long, I don't know if I've mentioned, or if anyone would even remember! But, I'm a scuba diver. I've always had an intensely strong connection to water, and the ocean specifically. In the last three years, I've become scuba certified, and am continuing to expand that training.

Now, what I love, is that as has been explained by many who have connections to the elements (especially a strong connection to one particular one for them), any connection to it fills me with peace, energy, and otherwise makes me better. Even after my most eventful and taxing dives, regardless of conditions and depth, I always come out feeling more happy, stronger, and full of life than when I went in. It goes without saying, but it's in part due to the fact that water and I are so strongly connected. I usually spend my dives just existing as part of the ocean, and when I do, I never feel more at peace and alive. :D I usually spend my dives just existing as part of the ocean, and when I do, I never feel more at peace and alive. :D

I was curious to get some thoughts, though! I naturally am an ocean defender, and do everything from donations to active cleanup to help in some way. The most I've taken were a couple common seashells from the beach. So my medicine bag has two shells (one from here in Southern California, one from North Carolina's coast) and my alter has a couple shells as well.

Now, what I'm musing to myself, and would love some thoughts on, is this:

Is there a way to incorporate spirituality into my dives? I do know of divers who meditate in the properly calm conditions. My entire dives end up being meditation for me!
Are there any ideas on how to "take" something from the sea to keep with me, without taking anything impactful? (everyone wants to take the big shells, or chipped coral, or things like that --- maybe a little vial of sand from deep below?)

I'd love to hear some thoughts! Hope everyone here is well!
Eternity begins, and ends, with the ocean's tides.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Creative Ways to Connect to the Sea?

Post by SpiritTalker »

When you dive and the connected feeling is upon you, ask for some remberance to be given to you. Then complete your dive & sit inside the tide line and let the water spirit bring it to you. It may not be sent the first day, but will eventually. Then you know it was freely gifted and not something you scarpered off with.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

My father-in-law was a diver/instructor...owned two scuba stores here in the valley, but he's been off the planet for 30 years now. I kinda miss going out on the boats even though I get real seasick...never did more than snorkel.
I like what Spirittalker said, wait and see washes up to you. I find bones occasionally and wonder what creature they may have belonged to.
There is a great Chumash remedy for sore feet, it involves seawater and purple sage (salvia leucophylla). About a gallon of freshly drawn seawater and enough sage to fill the container the water is in. Let sit for several hours to one day then use. Then discard it cannot be saved. I could see this as a wash for pre ritual also.
Seawater goes rancid as you probably know, but maybe save a jar of seawater in the fridge for a drop of its essence into workings or use a bowl full on your altar for meditation.
Blessings, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
GregoryLionborn

That sounds wonderful! I will certainly do that. It sounds like a sensible as well as meaningful and honest and humble approach.

Interesting too, firebirdflys! It would be a curious and still solid connection. I may look into seeing what kind of small jars I could get, so it's not too much, but would be easy enough to keep a decent amount. - Fun about your father-in-law's experience (and love to him). I've known very few who dive, or used to, besides my own father himself. Unfortunate about being seasick, though.
Anne Boleyn

Post by Anne Boleyn »

I know it’s been awhile but hopefully you still come by and check this thread, but I have to share! I’m intensely connected to water, like, super intensely connected. One of the most amazing things I ever did to heighten my practice was to bring salt lamps into my home. So far I have eight and I’m already planning on getting more. I was initially so skeptical thinking they were more earth or even air aligned, but after getting two of them and putting them in my living room the energetic shift was immediate and it was full water. It’s such a profound and impactful change that it is tangible even to my skeptical husband.

Also, larimar... If you haven’t worked with larimar, it is basically like a slice of ocean. It is the best grounding aquatic stone I’ve worked with. If you’re less of a tropical ocean person due to location or general energies, give sodalite a try. It has the same feel as sodalite, but with more of an old soul vibe. I always say larimar is the Bahamas, sodalite is Maine.

I’ve also given up smudging with sage, favoring charged water that I’ve added pink sea salt (or regular sea salt) to. I put it in a glass misting bottle and use that to cleanse my air and vibes. It’s nice because I can keep some in my purse and if my energy goes all wonky (problems of being an empath), I can pull out a little pocket mister and spray myself without looking too much like a nut and it looks like I’m using perfume or cooling off. Nobody knows I’m doing a quick energy refresh and cleanse.

I’ve also picked up some excellent books along the way that have really deepened my practice as well as some water-based meditations. If you’re curious Id be happy to pass on those suggestions as well.
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

I took a piece of my hair and put it in the water while saying I was bonding my spirit to the sea. It worked.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
GregoryLionborn

Ahhh, that sounds great! Sorry it's taken a while to reply! I'm 15 minutes from the Southern California coast, and oddly enough, don't get to go out very often. I have to wonder what stone might be most in tune with that sort of feel? I love the idea of that spray, though! For me, I feel the same. The water itself is my best source of being in touch with the element (which sounds pretty intuitive, to be fair), and when I dive it's essentially a total meditation and connection.

I might have to try something along those lines, myself! It seems like quite a clever way to keep it handy, and could be taken pretty much anywhere you could go.

Also, I'd love to hear your suggestions and findings! I'm always looking for more books and such relevant things! :)
Anne Boleyn wrote:I know it’s been awhile but hopefully you still come by and check this thread, but I have to share! I’m intensely connected to water, like, super intensely connected. One of the most amazing things I ever did to heighten my practice was to bring salt lamps into my home. So far I have eight and I’m already planning on getting more. I was initially so skeptical thinking they were more earth or even air aligned, but after getting two of them and putting them in my living room the energetic shift was immediate and it was full water. It’s such a profound and impactful change that it is tangible even to my skeptical husband.

Also, larimar... If you haven’t worked with larimar, it is basically like a slice of ocean. It is the best grounding aquatic stone I’ve worked with. If you’re less of a tropical ocean person due to location or general energies, give sodalite a try. It has the same feel as sodalite, but with more of an old soul vibe. I always say larimar is the Bahamas, sodalite is Maine.

I’ve also given up smudging with sage, favoring charged water that I’ve added pink sea salt (or regular sea salt) to. I put it in a glass misting bottle and use that to cleanse my air and vibes. It’s nice because I can keep some in my purse and if my energy goes all wonky (problems of being an empath), I can pull out a little pocket mister and spray myself without looking too much like a nut and it looks like I’m using perfume or cooling off. Nobody knows I’m doing a quick energy refresh and cleanse.

I’ve also picked up some excellent books along the way that have really deepened my practice as well as some water-based meditations. If you’re curious Id be happy to pass on those suggestions as well.
GregoryLionborn

Lady_Lilith wrote:I took a piece of my hair and put it in the water while saying I was bonding my spirit to the sea. It worked.
That seems simple and easy. A thought I had (due to having very long hair, and liking to braid it), is to find an appropriate water stone (or perhaps even something like a small piece of driftwood), roughly the size of a large bead, and have it to be hung on a braid.

Return to “The Elements - Earth, Fire, Air, and Water”