How do you know your element?

Talk, spells, rituals, and questions about the four elements.
Silus7
Location: ~8~nel dominio della padrona acquatica della luna~8~

Re: How do you know your element?

Post by Silus7 »

Astrological natal charts can tell you or atleast explain which elements are strongest with you. When I look at my chart, for example, I have 5 fire, 7 air, 1 water, 1 earth. A lot of people do have atleast all the elements come into play in their charts, but sometimes they have aspects that are stronger than most. Its important where they lay in the chart as well. I know for me that my fire and air are more present in everything I do, but my water and earth are much more personal and instinctual for me.

~*PadronaDellaLuna**~
*MysticUrbanGypsy*

~*Silus7*~
Aria_2193

Post by Aria_2193 »

I analized my natal chart, by your advice.
Air and water were the most present, but it's like just how I felt - more water than air.

:D
dolphinpatronus

Post by dolphinpatronus »

Fey_Glory wrote::wave: Hello everyone,
  • I’m going to throw in my 2 cents because this conversation seems a bit interesting to me. I don’t mean to cause confrontation, to crush anyone’s thought process, or hurt feelings of anyone outright. That being said- I would greatly appreciate feedback and any knowledge that you all can share with me to help me understand.

Personally, I have a problem with the idea that you can “claim” an element. I’m gathering from the use of the word “your” in the title- meaning that the author is taking ownership of an object or in this case an element- that there is a belief that you can actually own, control, manipulate (spiritual_gemini, page 1) an element because it fits your personality or because a deity has somehow given you these abilities. I admit that I am a n00b in the beliefs of Wicca, but I’m not completely unread on the topic. From the little of what I understand this whole concept seems completely ridiculous.

Here I will explain MY understanding of the topic- and why I think claiming any element seems absolutely preposterous- please feel free to correct anything I am misunderstanding. (:

From what I have read there are 5 elements- as many of you have already mentioned in this thread- Air, Earth, Fire, Water, and Spirit. Each have been given different “characteristics”, directions, symbols, colors, etc. based on what others around the world feel that the element encompasses. These elements can be invoked in different rites and spells to grant greater power, protection, or just completeness depending on how formal the rite is. That’s something I recognize and have zero issue with.

I've also read that these elements are Life. They are what make up everything from the rolling waves of the oceans, the mountains that we hike on, etc. A good example of this I will pull from Ann-Marie Gallagher who uses a Tree to prove this point “composed of earth (with the soil and plant matter), water (sap and moisture), fire (through photosynthesis) and air (the creation of oxygen from carbon dioxide), all of which are believed to be united through spirit.” The same argument can be used for use humans, for example:
  • Earth: we live off the food it provides and live on the ground.
  • Fire: We live off the sun just as much as plants do- it provides us with Vitamin D and other minerals that our body needs to function properly. Not to mention the warmth it provides and the warmth FIRE itself provides to those without the sun.
  • Water: We can’t live longer than 3 days without it. Our body is 70% water. Enough said.
  • Air: How long can you go without breathing?
  • Spirit: It’s what we are, our personality, our love, empathy, abilities, and talents, everything we are. It holds us all together as a spiritual being.

The elements are what we are. We use them every day, from our breath to dinner to our rites and rituals. I think it’s absurd that someone can take claim over something like that. I think this whole discussion of “what is mine” is more about personal preferences and what YOU believe YOUR personality aligns with over anything else. There are certain little quizzes you can take that will ask you various questions about who you are and give you an answer- I've done various ones out of curiosity myself- but really it shouldn't be a question of “what is my element?”, instead it should be more “who am I?” and from there everything else should be easy.

We are a balance of all 5.
    We are the elements, we don’t claim them.

Any comments, questions, concerns, or feedback?
-Fey
I tend to agree with you Fey. I think we are a combination of all the elements tho I think some people sometimes feel a stronger relationship with one or more over the others. Personally I find myself most drawn to fire & air.
Estee :)
lyric_cerridwen

Post by lyric_cerridwen »

I think we may lean towards a specific element but on a whole we are a combination of them.
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Post by RosieMoonflower »

I'm definitely earth and water. Earth is my zodiac sign but water I have always felt a connection to.
Negoni

Post by Negoni »

My zodiac sign is fire but I'm more of a air type person.
TechNa

Post by TechNa »

Star sign, air
Wakaru

Post by Wakaru »

I don't limit myself with one element. I have great affinity for all of them. Which is probably why I am such a balanced, easy going people person, that friends & colleagues joke if the sky was falling down around us I'd just shrug my shoulders & keep going.

Fire - I am not only strong willed but a charismatic people person, a natural born leader. And well challenges, the more challenging the better. I don't hesitate in speaking out against what I feel is wrong, one reason why my books focus on things that the average person would rather sweep under the rug & forget about [genocide, racism, etc.]. Fire people are adaptable, if one path is blocked then they just "reinvent" themselves and go at it another way - "extreme change".

Earth - I am not someone with my head in the clouds, very grounded / logical. Very well adjusted. I am also very dependable. Perfectionist. Ah you don't want to know how thoroughly I go through things sometimes.

Air - intellectual & also the ability to be quick on your feet / quick witted. Talkative, I love public speaking. From an emotional standpoint air people are sometimes called fickle but more it is due to the fact that they view the world impartially [as in what Joe does, literally doesn't bother me beyond the five seconds needed to compute it]. Air people are a bit different, independent, and conforming to tradition isn't in the wind for them and well I've been accused of stirring the pot for the heck of it on more than one occasion.

Water - very artistic, and though my air aspect balances out getting overly emotional about most things, I am the person that most friends & colleagues come to vent their woes to because I am an excellent listener. Even when I was doing contract work last month my new colleague was lamenting about her newly built house to me by day 2. I am also a born humanitarian.

Aether / Spirit - I view the world a bit differently. I have always been more spiritual than religious, seeing as religion never held any merit to my family.

An employer once put on my reference letter I have the uniquest personality she had ever encountered and she, as a general area manager of an international lab, had travelled quite a bit. My totem animal, which hasn't changed since it first manifested itself over a decade ago, is tied with the supernatural / paranormal / spiritual intimately. I once had a very religious Polish woman, who I had never met before, stop me & mum as we were walking to the library ... because she just needed to stare at me & insist I was an "angel child" even when mum joked I was anything but. Aside from having second sight, I've also had psychics comment that my crown charka is the most active.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I'm am sooo-o earth. I love rocks...not just crystals and pretty shiny one's, but striped rocks, plain brown rocks, holey rocks, etc. I have a brown thumb but garden anyhow. I lust for caves, and even mine shafts will do. I'm down to earth and a stick in the mud.

I'm Virgo to a T.
Ethereal Moon Rose

Post by Ethereal Moon Rose »

I'm a Capricorn and I am definitely Earth with a pinch of Air thrown in. Although sometimes I feel like I'm connected to all of the elements (which I guess in a way we all are).
Raven At Heart
Banned Member

Post by Raven At Heart »

I am confused. Are you trying tom ask what element you are connected too, or which one you have an affinity with? Everyone is connected to them all. The elements make up much of our spirit and body. As far as affinity with, that is a question only you can answer. Zodiac elements are more how the elements effected you at birth, not which element you have the most natural talent using. not to mention zodiac element birth dates are far from inafllible. Example, I have an affinity to the wind, lightning, life, death, water, light, and gravity. Also the old style of elements, trying to limit it down to 4 always seems kind of lacking to me. There are many more then 4 types of elements and 4 types of elemental spirits.
I'm a spiteful, hateful, venomous creature, a pupil with no scruples who's no better then my teacher. Also not actually a raven.
Hearth Witch

Post by Hearth Witch »

As others have said, I also feel we are connected to all of the elements in some way or another.
I was born under the sign of Air but have a strong affection for Water. It is what pulled me from my hometown in the Midwest to leave all I knew behind to live near the sea. I just can't get enough of it. But of course I do have great respect for all elements and work well with them.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Back on page 1 someone asked how to get to know the elements ... talk to mud and sing to air? it was said as a joke but it was on track. To know the elements we have to spend time with each of them individually and feel them within our bodies and spirits. Reading only goes so far. We use this info to intuitively design spells.
Spring Moon

Post by Spring Moon »

I agree that we are all a combination of the elements, if you missed any one of them out you would quickly become unbalanced - we need all of them for physical and spiritual life.

As for finding your element, as others have said astrology is a good starting point and thinking about the kind of person you are - which of the four descriptions most resonates with you? The sort of environments you feel comfortable in can give you a clue as well as the sort of animals you tend to feel closest to.

The truth is though there's no hard and fast formula. For instance your zodiac may tell you that you're water but if that doesn't resonate then don't go with it. Or another example my elements are Air and Fire with air dominant. I'm terrified of actual physical fire but the emotional/spiritual qualities of the element really resonate so I went with that. Take your time, the answers will come when you're ready :)
~Spring Moon.

Life is like the ocean. It can be calm or turbulent but in the end it is always beautiful.
VesperLuna

Post by VesperLuna »

SpiritTalker wrote:Back on page 1 someone asked how to get to know the elements ... talk to mud and sing to air? it was said as a joke but it was on track. To know the elements we have to spend time with each of them individually and feel them within our bodies and spirits. Reading only goes so far. We use this info to intuitively design spells.
The more and more I find my place within Wicca, I find that I am laying in the grass more, trying to grow plants and herbs etc. I am a Libra, but only by a few hours. I was almost a Virgo (Earth), so I am starting to believe that it's okay for me to be so in-tune with the Earth.

*Side Note - I believe that I am in-tune with each of the elements, depending on what I am doing in life at that moment.

Return to “The Elements - Earth, Fire, Air, and Water”