Creationism, opinions.

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
gwenblackbird

Creationism, opinions.

Post by gwenblackbird »

Sorry if this isn't in the right place for the thread.

Well I have to right a persuasive essay and it's due in about a day. So, I chose my topic to be: Should schools be allowed to teach Creationism alongside Evolution as part of their science curriculum?

If you do not know what Creationism is; it's the religious belief that humanity, life, the Earth, and the universe were created in their original form by a deity or deities.

So as to that I want to know all and everyone's opinion on the matter. It would help a lot, so much actually!
And that means that all of the people that read this could you please be so kind as reply to this even if you don't think that your opinion might not be that important. Well it is.

Thanks in advanced, and Bright Blessing.
:]
[SnowRaven]

Post by [SnowRaven] »

My answer would be NO - Creationism is a subject of one's faith and not a matter of scientific fact.

It would be appropriate in a non-secular educational institution, namely church sponsored schools. But state run schools fall under the 'separation of church & state'.
Witch13
Banned Member

agree

Post by Witch13 »

i agree with snowraven. also i believe that there shouldnt be any religion teaching in schools, i grew with 9 years of christian teaching in my head, i had to write exams on em, and tests, and above all that we said a pray all together each morning and had to go to church as school trips.
talk about "gods free will" when you brain wash little kids with only one religion without giving them the oportunity to know more...
::darkmood::
purplesummer

Post by purplesummer »

I agree that creationism should not be taught in school. There is no facts to support it besides faith based arguments. There is no place for that in schools. Separation of Church prevents that. Which IMO is a good thing, you cannot bias kids towards one religion. I believe that religion should never be forced on a kid, like in private schools but that is another argument entirely.

If a parent wants there kid to learn about Creationism and not evolution or both, they should home school them, send them to a private school or teach them creationism themselves.
One Walker

Post by One Walker »

I would say schools should at least have that option, or have it determined by popular local vote. Evolution and Creation are both debatable theories which an individual subscribes to based on their own beliefs.

One Walker.
We have seen what Power does.
We have seen what Power costs.

One is never equal to the other.
Release.the.bats
Banned Member

Post by Release.the.bats »

I second One Walker.
I don't think we should ONLY have evolution taught or Creationism.
There should be an option to take either class but they should count towards the same credit.
Sorta like when you can take a fine art class, but it's not specifically painting or sculpture, just art of any kind.
Then people who wanted to take creationism could and people who wanted to take evolution could.
My only problem with just having evolution is the fact that it's seen as an atheist view, despite the fact that it isn't many religious folk including myself believe in evolution. But it causes many of the creationists to make a point about having an atheist class within a public school and so on.
gwenblackbird

Post by gwenblackbird »

I agree with One Walker and R.t.B.

But understand that Creationism isn't just one religion it could be any religion that has some form of a deity(s) or higher being.

To me I think that Evolution and Creationism go hand in hand, Like good and evil or Fire and Water. They balance each other out.
Orion

Post by Orion »

gwenblackbird wrote:I agree with One Walker and R.t.B.

But understand that Creationism isn't just one religion it could be any religion that has some form of a deity(s) or higher being.

To me I think that Evolution and Creationism go hand in hand, Like good and evil or Fire and Water. They balance each other out.
Actually Creationism is one religion. It is a horrid attempt by the Christian 'Discovery Institute' at making a scientific theory but fails the test of having testable methods. The Theory of Evolution does use facts and tests that can be used to either further validate it or invalidate it. Creationism is not science, it is garbage. I wish I could be neutral but fence sitting is for those who lack the information or will to make a decision.

I live in a place that is fairly illiterate. The Bible is chosen as 'favorite book' because most people here don't read anything and that is the only title of a book they know. That is the sort of people who support Creationism's pseudo-science. It is not logical or factual. It is not a Theory. It is modern mythology.

Evolution and Creationism do not balance each other. They do not allow for the other to exist in the same world. Fire and water might oppose each other but they do not negate the entire existence of the other.
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods." -Einstein

There are always facts, the best most of us can do is try to continuously adjust our opinions to become closer to those facts. For that, there is Science and Philosophy. One to argue facts and one to argue opinions. The result: The big bang is some sort of sexual innuendo resulting from your subconscious.
Elem

Post by Elem »

I think I'm missing the point a little, here.. I mean - Creationism and Evolution? They're not really the same thing at all. Creationism deals with the creation of the entire Universe, whereas Evolution is simply a theory of 'natural selection' - how one generation of animals can pass on beneficial traits to the next generation, leading to a species becoming stronger.

As for whether they should be taught alongside each other.. Yes to Evolution, a strong no to Creationism. They're mutually exclusive topics - Evolution is a scientific theory (all scientific facts are 'theories' - nothing can ever be absolutely proven.. Not 100% :)), and would be taught in a Science class. If Creationism were to be taught alongside it.. Frankly that'd be rather silly. It's not Science. Not in the slightest.

However.. If Creationism were taught about in R.E., in context.. Fine, no problem with it :). I was taught about it when I was taught about Christianity.. But I was also taught about Judaism, Hinduism, Islam, Buddhism... As it should be. How can we honestly expect people to be religiously tolerant unless they fully understand other religions? If kids are taught about a wide range of religions, then they can make up their own mind.. Sure, they might find it boring at the time, but it's still to their benefit - They're left with a better understanding about the religions of others.. Thus, they're more likely to be tolerant, given there'll be less confusion / misunderstandings, and more general interest.

Getting off-topic here, but my main point is.. Evolution and Creationism can't be directly compared. It's like comparing a rock to a MacDonalds burger.. Yes, both have no nutritional value, but the context in which they might be used is vastly different. Creationism is a religious theory, Evolution is a scientific one. Leave Creationism to the R.E. classes and Evolution to the Science classes.. If you start teaching Creationism in Science classes, then are you going to teach about Evolution and 'The Big Bang' in R.E. classes?? It'd only make sense..

Just my two cents.. Or two pence, for us English folk out there :).

Elem

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”