15 types or branch of witches

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
thetouch

15 types or branch of witches

Post by thetouch »

I had talked to a witch in forum here in Philippines and I was wondering if there is really 15 types of witches or 15 branches of witchcraft?

kindly share some information about this?
Last edited by Firebird on Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: capitalization
may
Athena
Blessed you

Re: 15 types or branch of witches

Post by SpiritTalker »

Throughout history most civilizations have developed their own forms of magical practices, going back to shamanic tribal customs of Siberia, the best anyone can figure. Forms of today’s non-Wiccan magical practices have names like Icelandic, Nordic, Asartu, Celtic, Druidic, Greco-Roman, etc. It’s confusing that in the English language magic can be synonymous with witchcraft. Wicca is one form of British witchcraft and since the 1950’s Wicca has evolved beyond the early Gardnerian, Alexandrian, Seax, Dianic etc., forms. Tuscan culture influenced the writings of folklorist Chs. LeLand’s book “Aradia”. Gerald Gardner sourced Wiccan Goddess concepts & The Charge of the Goddess from Aradia. Plus there’s traditional Regional British witchcraft practices which are more shamanic than ceremonial - Cornish, Welsh, Scottish, etc. I don’t know the history of the Anderson’s Feri Witchcraft, So 15 would be a conservative estimate of modern, cross-culture witchcraft forms.

What we today call ceremonial ritual magic I think stemmed from Akkadian-Sumerian & Egyptian practices and Kabbala which influenced Masonic practices. Modern Wicca, circa 1950 adapted & reworked the Masonic Initiation & 3-degree coven structure. You can read Gardner’s original BOS online as a free PDF.

https://celticearthspirit.co.uk/wp-cont ... hadows.pdf

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”