Paper magic?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Pirranth

Paper magic?

Post by Pirranth »

I wonder if there is a reason for why paper magic in the modern world has taken quite a back seat compared historically to other systems of magic. For example, Japanese priests wrote seals on paper, theoretically Egyptians held paper sacred and did plenty of fun stuff with it; I'm not positive about details or even if that last bit is correct. However, in modern witchcraft paper is used in two ways: one as a temporary capacitor to hold a single idea or concept then burned or likewise released, or as a major component in a book of shadows or dream journal. Chaos magic sometimes uses paper for sigils involving servitors, but as for more creative uses, finding them has been difficult. If there is no reason why its use would not be expanded, what uses could paper could play in magic, other spells or functions it could serve?
AkanaAnash

Post by AkanaAnash »

An excellent point Pir'

If you're looking online for "paper magic" perhaps you need
to expand the search criteria. I don't recall ever having
come across anything written on this topic specifically, but
when I began reading your post, my first thought was
Origami...also, in fact, a type of incantation.

I'll be another set of eyes on this subject as I'm interested
to see what we can come up with.

I know that personally, paper, specifically various kinds of paper
are important...but not quite sacred, per se.

I save more important writings and drawings for handmade or
rice papers...while daily stuff can be written or drawn into a
normal notebook.

Good hunting!

Thet
"The Prince Of Darkness is a gentleman"
W. Shakespeare
The Mystic Pilgrim

Post by The Mystic Pilgrim »

That is extremely intriguing... I look forward to reading more of your thoughts on this idea.
Pirranth

Post by Pirranth »

I had thought of origami, but applying it to a spell or ritual has been troublesome. I have seen a continuous spell for a single goal being fed by the raw intent used to create certain origami figures; to cite the fictional example would be in the anime TV series "Ghost in the shell: stand alone complex 2nd gig" when a young boy made paper cranes for the healing of a girl (Episode 37). However, it sounds more like the bargaining stage of grief than an actually applicable spell practice. As a side note, I consider the whole series a major branch of modern philosophy and is very well made.

Blending actual spell practice into an origami figure to make a servitor or to commune with a similar animal spirit would be interesting. Sadly, I do not know any origami... I'll come back to this as soon as I've done more research and testing.

Is there any other ways to use paper in magic?
AkanaAnash

Post by AkanaAnash »

Well your o.p. mentioned the writing and burning, the Kemetans also did this cool thing wherein the paper was considered the vessel for the majik...by writing the spell on it and then soaking the paper in water so that the ink moved into the water, and then drinking the water...normally protective in orientation.

Origami is pretty easy, my thoughts on the matter were to write a spell on the paper and then create the form (a crane or whatever) but with enough focus, one could simply recite a mantra (silently) while creating an origami form (I call to the Crane Spirit...Grant me understanding...I call to the Crane Spirit...Grant me understanding...something like that)

http://dev.origami.com/diagram.cfm
W. Shakespeare
Pirranth

Post by Pirranth »

Tasty spell, I could write the spell in chocolate syrup and soak it in milk.... mixing a sweet tooth and magic, not a bad combination.
AkanaAnash

Post by AkanaAnash »

nice. DJsmile
W. Shakespeare
Kolohe Redux
Banned Member

Post by Kolohe Redux »

In Asia, they still write elaborate scrolls for good luck, prosperity or whatever. Doing Chinese calligraphy or Japanese kanji can be something of an art from or spiritual pursuit in itself.

Kolohe
Pirranth

Post by Pirranth »

Any specific way that that artful practice and spiritual path can be applied to those of us who aren't adept at foreign languages?
Makbawehuh
Banned Member

Post by Makbawehuh »

You know, you could always draw on it. No need to be awesome with a foreign language there. Also, I've heard someone here say they used paper to make a poppet with once. Paint a protective talisman on the paper and frame it.

Make statuettes with papier mache'?

If you have any imagination at all, use it! What you can do with something is only limited by what you can think up. If you have any trouble, go work at a day care center- you'll have a million paper ideas before you leave.

Then you just have to throw out the ones that involve dried macaroni.

Unless you're into dried macaroni.
~St. Makupuff the Awesome~

"The human race will begin solving it's problems on the day that it ceases taking itself so seriously." – Malaclypse the Younger

The Hell Law says that Hell is reserved exclusively for them that believe in it.
Further, the lowest Rung in Hell is reserved for them that believe in it on the supposition that they'll go there if they don't.

-Holy Book of Truth; The Gospel According to Fred, 3:1 (Principia Discordia)
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

I make "spirit houses" out of paper mache. I add lots of other stuff to it, too.. but the basis is paper.

I think people think of paper as too "common" for ritual. I'd think that hand made papers would lend a nice energy... they certianly feel better than plastic!!!

Though, hand made papers are rarely smooth enough to draw on with a crow quill or a cut feather.

I like using papers in colors appropriate to my ritual, and I make lots of sigils out of paper. I also use slips of paper with names on them to put under votive candles to keep the energy of the person in question close to the source of the positive vibes. When I make them, I put the paper inside the candle while making it.

Also, if I want to, say accumulate something (say, luck, or money or something) I will make a drawing for it every day and put it in a box.
I even sometimes use sticky-notes in rituals to represent energies I don't want to loose!

I've even been known to make herb bundles out of tissue paper instead of fabric, if I have none on hand. Who says people don't use paper for ritual? :P

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”