Black Mirrors, any significance?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
kuotetsu

Black Mirrors, any significance?

Post by kuotetsu »

I found one in an old box at the attic. I found it very creepy, As if there's a monster inside. :roll: big_grin
amunptah777

Post by amunptah777 »

Wow, creepy and fascinating...:)

I'd throw some cards around the damn thing, see if there's anything going on...anything else...I'd say it's a great prop for next halloween party at work. :)
kuotetsu

Post by kuotetsu »

oops.. i Posted in a wrong place.. sorry, i'm outta my mind

Please move

kuotetsu

Post by kuotetsu »

amunptah777 wrote:Wow, creepy and fascinating...:)

I'd throw some cards around the damn thing, see if there's anything going on...anything else...I'd say it's a great prop for next halloween party at work. :)
yeah i think so to, but there could be any significance why's it black?
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

Yes.Black mirrors are used for scrying,a type of divination.
kuotetsu

Post by kuotetsu »

Every time I stare at the mirror, I feel dizzy.. How can we use it for scrying, I'm not really familiar. Thanks
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

Scrying With Mirrors
Mirror scrying is closely related to scrying with a crystal ball. Both are forms of crystallomancy, a term which refers to scrying using any reflective surface.
Mirror scrying was probably the earliest form of crystallomancy to be practiced, with the "mirror" in question being the surface of a lake or other calm body of water. Such water scrying was a common feature of shamanistic cultures and often took place at night by the light of the moon.

Once technology evolved to allow the production of mirrors, these provided a more convenient alternative to water scrying. Many modern pagans still prefer the natural connection of a moonlit pool.

Choosing a Scrying Mirror
As with all scrying, the choice of tool is intensely personal. One thing that is important is that the scrying mirror be used for that purpose and no other. When not in use it should be covered and out of sight.
Many people have said that old mirrors work better than new ones, possibly because of the psychic imprints of the years. However others prefer a brand new mirror that has no such previous imprinting and has been used for no other purpose. My personal feeling is that a beginner should consider buying a new, clean mirror then as their skill increases move to the more powerful older ones.

Many people find that round or oval mirrors work better than the square ones, possibly because there are no off-putting corners to break one's concentration.

Black Scrying Mirrors
Perhaps the most effective form of mirror for scrying is a black mirror. Black scrying mirrors have been used for centuries (John Dee apparently used one) and are sometimes made of obsidian. Unfortunately black or obsidian mirrors are not easy to get hold of and can be expensive

----------------------------------------------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrying

I don't use a mirror, but have used this technique in the past.Kuotetsu, it seems you may need to cleanse the mirror, before using it.I 'm not sure how this is done.If you feel ok about using it or it draws you,then it may be wise to do this first,just as a precaution.Do you know if anyone in your family may have used it before?I'll look for more info.Maybe salt sitting on the surface for a while then wiping gently,I wouldn't use salty water in case it damages the surface?

There are a couple of topics in divination, but no one says about cleansing.Typical! lol.Being- Singular -Plural and Sobek both know about scrying mirrors,so probably best to see if either of them,or another knowledgable member [we have lots,I'm not naming them all.lol] can advise.I'll go look around though.See what I can dig up for you.
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

Cleansing Sacred Objects

Pagans love ritual items, which are the tactile representations of their communion with the spiritual realm. These items can include the seemingly very simple tools such as prayer beads, rocks, shells, and feathers to more elaborate items such statuary, altars, large cauldrons, and much more. Just what makes these objects sacred varies from each practitioner. A rock on the beach may seem mundane to some but feel like the perfect devotional tool in the hands of someone else.

A common belief among pagans is that these objects can be charged with the energy that they are to be used for, i.e. healing, divination, devotion, etc. Before this can happen though it is necessary to cleanse the objects of previously imbued energy in the object whether it be negative or otherwise. Below are some simple cleansing rituals that can be utilized for this purpose.

Smudging: The use of incense or herbal smoke to purify the item. This became very popular due to the use of sage in Native American inspired spirituality. However, your favorite incense can be used and tailored to the use of the item such as using lavender for a healing tool or patchouli for a divination tool.

Burying: If you feel there is a great deal of negativity to the item and still wish to keep it, burying it in the earth for a short time is another way to cleanse it. Some pagans believe this energy is transformed by the earth into nutrients for plant growth such as in composting waste into nutrient rich soil.

Water: Putting the item under running water is another way to cleanse. Especially powerful is running water from a fresh stream if at all possible. This is a popular method used with divinatory tools since water has a correspondence with psychic ability.

Sea salt: Known for its healing properties, salt is one of the most widely used cleansing techniques. It is especially affective in cleansing stones and crystals used for healing or psychic work. Place the item in a jar or bowl and cover with sea salt. Leave it overnight. Remove the item then dispose of the salt. Large quartz crystals cleansed with sea salt are sometimes used to place sacred objects on for cleansing. After using this method with several objects, the large crystal will need to be periodically cleansed.

Energy work: You don't have to be a Reiki practitioner or other healer to use this technique. Simply hold the item in your hands if it is small enough or hold your hands a few inches away if it is larger. Imagine healing energy from a divine source moving into you then through your hands out over the object. This source could be a patron deity, the earth, a fresh water stream, the universe, etc. The energy can be visualized as a white or gold light, a religious symbol or whatever you feel is appropriate for the cleansing.

All of these techniques can be catered to your specific tradition. For example, if you are a devotee of a goddess associated with water such as Aphrodite, then cleansing a shell under running water to use at a devotional shrine to her would be appropriate.

While these are some of the established ways of cleansing a sacred object, you can be creative with the techniques you use. Prayer, aromatherapy, color therapy, moonlight or sunlight are some other methods used. Your intention of clearing the object of negativity and focusing your intent on that goal is what is important. The rituals above only serve to enforce in your mind the goal at hand.

-----------------------------------------------

Smoke or smudge cleansing may work well.
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

Yes, as Geri says, black mirrors are one of the more common methods used in scrying, part of a mirrors magic is that it sees, it remembers and it shows, if you are going to cleanse the mirror before use, I recommend blinding it (not a paranoia symptom :P) By covering it with a cloth or something to that affect.

Black mirrors were also used by many ceremonialists(among others ofcourse, but as far as some ceremonialism goes it was one of the arsenal, or their prefered speculum...depends) because they can help one "see" into the next/other and also achieve trance state(as can all scrying methods/tools).

If you intend on using the mirror for scrying the technique that Geri provided is sound. Though, don't expect much the first time ... it may take you a few sessions to get aquantied with your mirror ... Ah ... did I leave anything out, Geri?
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychometry

You may also want to give this a little bit of a read ... for the fun ;)
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

Thanks.Sobek.Mirror scrying is not my forte.I use fire/water.The info. above was from searching around.Perhaps we should ask your good self and other knowledgable members,when they have time,of course, to write up some articles for divination,on methods and practices/techniques?That way I can just go aha! look here.......
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

I find cleansing with incense the best way.
Frankincense and/or Myrrh are two particular favourites and if you can get them both in resin form which you burn on charcoal discs then even better.

Having said that - joss sticks will be OK too (I'm a bit pedantic when it come to incense).

There are a few topics over in Divination already - Eretik you've given me a kick up the bum to get some info topics together.

:D
kuotetsu

Post by kuotetsu »

I'll get into these posts when I have spare time.. Thanks guys :D
kuotetsu

Post by kuotetsu »

If I will cleanse the mirror then the "psychic imprints" well be washed away. Will it be okay if I don't cleanse it? Because I feel to use the energy inside since it came from a family box anyway, it will save their energies as well.. What do you think?
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

Cleansing I would say is optional. If you like the mirror as it is with all it's gained then try using it(should there be problems, cleansing may be beneficial)

If there are no problems then continue.

Not all tools and practitioners will need and/or want the clean slate.
So yes, it will most likely be ok to not cleanse. Only one way to find out afterall.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”