Question: Calling the four quarters

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
[Human]

Question: Calling the four quarters

Post by [Human] »

I've read a little of calling the four corners but i was wondering could it be done alone? if so, do i just perform the ritual on my own.

I understand a little that in christian theology the four corners = the four horsemen. I dont know if this is true or not but this isn't relevant to my question, sorry im rambling on.

Invocation:

Hail, Guardian of the WatchTower of the North; Powers of Mother and Earth. I greet you now in perfect love and perfect trust. Changeless power of unending change, in steadfastness and strength, I bless the elements of Earth, and call upon you to gather here with me.

Hail, Guardian of the WatchTower of the East. Powers of Air and Intuition, I greet you now in perfect love and perfect trust. As you carry the seeds of the plants across the land; as you bring the moisture of the storms to the shore; join me in all your gentle and powerful ways. I bless the elements of air and call upon you to gather here with me.

Hail, Guardian of the WatchTower of the South. Powers of Fire and Feeling, I greet you now, in perfect love and perfect trust. Flaming One; Apollo, Bright Warrior, Wild courage, Lion-strength, I bless the elements of Fire, and call upon you to gather here with me.

Hail, Guardian of the WatchTower of the West. Powers of Water and Intervention, I greet you now, in perfect love and perfect trust. Water - soft and yielding, formless and flowing, You are the blood coursing through my veins. I bless the elements of Water and call upon you to gather here with me.

ok is there anything missing from this ritual?

Also as i've asked above and which id like to put emphasis on, could this ritual be done alone? If so how.

thankyou for your time,

Human
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

I don't use that particular version of the ritual, but yes you can do it alone.
[Human]

Post by [Human] »

oh ok,

what version of the ritual do you use then?

if you could put it on this topic id be greatful.

I only know that version so it would be interesting to feast my eyes upon another way.

thankyou for your time again,

human
LaFiamma
Banned Member

Re: Question: Calling the four corners?

Post by LaFiamma »

Human wrote:Ive read alittle of calling the four corners but i was wondering could it be done alone? if so, do i just perform the ritual on my own.

I understand alittlle that in christian theology the four corners = the four horsemen. I dont know if this is true or not but this isnt relevant to my question, sorry im rambling on.

Invocation:

Hail, Guardian of the WatchTower of the North; Powers of Mother and Earth. I greet you now in perfect love and perfect trust. Changeless power of unending change, in steadfastness and strength, I bless the elements of Earth, and call upon you to gather here with me.

Hail, Guardian of the WatchTower of the East. Powers of Air and Intuition, I greet you now in perfect love and perfect trust. As you carry the seeds of the plants across the land; as you bring the moisture of the storms to the shore; join me in all your gentle and powerful ways. I bless the elements of air and call upon you to gather here with me.

Hail, Guardian of the WatchTower of the South. Powers of Fire and Feeling, I greet you now, in perfect love and perfect trust. Flaming One; Apollo, Bright Warrior, Wild courage, Lion-strength, I bless the elements of Fire, and call upon you to gather here with me.

Hail, Guardian of the WatchTower of the West. Powers of Water and Intervention, I greet you now, in perfect love and perfect trust. Water - soft and yielding, formless and flowing, You are the blood coursing through my veins. I bless the elements of Water and call upon you to gather here with me.

ok is there anything missing from this ritual?

Also as ive asked above and which id like to put emphasis on, could this ritual be done alone? If so how.

thankyou for your time,

Human

I find it rather baffling that Apollo is just dropped randomly into the south quarter.

Oh, and for the record, unless you want to have a lot of folks snickering at you, it's calling the quarters, not corners.

I'm also curious...why would you do a ritual that only consists of quarter-calling? the quarters serve a particular function within the ritual, but I don't see how they would function as a ritual in and of themselves.
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

I wrote the calls I use. I call honor to the elements themselves, not watchtower spirits.

Air, the breath of Life
From the first breath of a new born child
To the soft breeze brushing your skin in the early morning light
The thoughts and ideas that run through our minds
This is the domain of the East
Land of Logic and Planning
This is the beginning of who we are.
All Hail the East!

Fire, Passion, Strife
From the warm, noon-day sun
To the passion of a long awaited kiss
The flaming two edged sword of creation and destruction
These are the things that drive us to carry out our plans
For this is what builds who we are.
All Hail the South!

Water, the womb of life
From the gentle drops of the morning rain
To the long, undemanding embrace of one you love
This is what gives our actions meaning,
Tempers our fire and nourishes us when we are in need,
For this is what gives us purpose.
All Hail the West!

Earth, the rock
From the cool earth beneath our feet
To the warmth of home on a cold, winter day
This is what we are rooted in
And which will support us as we reach for the stars,
For this is what grounds us and supports us
As we plan for tomorrow.
All Hail the North!

I don't really mind if you use them, but you might find that the wording doesn't suit you so feel free to muck with it.
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

I think the calling you have Human,is formal - of the type Ceremonial magicians use.That is fine,especially if you are 'summoning' etc.as a precursor to your rituals. Sercee's is elemental,as she said,less formal, no watchers specifically -more suitable for witchcraft and sympathetic magick. I think it best if you want watchers to name four,one at each gate. You have Apollo but no others named. Keeping to one group or pantheon is easiest at the beginning.So four Greek watchers for this one,or all from another group.I 'll fish out one I have that I like - it is Sumerian/Chaotic. It's been a long time since I worked this way, but it is a good one. I used it with my Chaote friend on his workings a few times. You are learning fast. It makes sense to be cautious if you are going to be doing powerful evocations.Back later.
[Human]

Post by [Human] »

well thankyou Eretik,

Im just learning as the days go on. Im relativley new to this but im putting everything ive got into learning.

Eretik

Post by Eretik »

This is simple but effective.The gates may seem a little different to the orthodox. There is a seperate invocation to the Watcher/Guardian spirit,[your personal one] that can be used alongside,but I have to go get that seperately.I really do need to tidy up my work.

The North Gate

Respectfully, I invoke,thee, [Silver Hunter of UR]
Loose thy arrow at the hordes of mine enemies
which beset the beloved of Arras
Be watchful over Darkness, Lord of the North Ways

The East Gate

Respectfully,I invoke thee, [Mistress of the Rising Star]
The Queen of Magick,Lifter of Veils
Lady given of many names
Be watchful of the Balefire,Queen of the Dawn

The South Gate

Respectfully,I invoke thee,[Lord of the South Wind]
Guardian over death,Knower of the Unseen
Be eyes behind me,Sword before me
Be watchful of my Spirit, Lord of Life and Death

The West Gate

Respectfully,I invoke thee, [Spirit of Mermartu]
Lady of Wisdom, Keeper of Keys
from baneful shades protect me
be watchful over my soul,Lady of Joy and Sorrow

Always remember to thank and release at the end too. This is used for types of summoning and ritual where protection is wise. My friend did the walking and drawing parts, I don't use ritual athame or sword [ I don't cast circles in my own practices] but he did so. I assume you already know of this, the methods of casting? I don't keep much info. on that part.
You can add personal names instead of the parts in brackets, remember it's easiest if they are all from the same pantheon - but it really depends on what you are doing in your working.
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

Forgot - this calling is one we used for necromantic working,successfully. Don't panic [some folk are fearful of that word,it just means communicating with the dead,] - this is a protective callling for those who wish to contact 'entities beyond the veil ' directly, when used with the watcher incant [I'll get that too,later] I was acting as 'assistant',it was my friends ritual. I am assuming that you will use appropriate means/correspondances/methods for doing workings like this. I don't want to have to go over basics of ceremony, I don't use it now, it's been a long time.lol.
[Human]

Post by [Human] »

well thankyou so much, Ill put it in my BOS for use of a later date. thankyou very much eretik.
Mozelle Ellis

Post by Mozelle Ellis »

Would Sercee Elemental one be good for a Christian? Calling on names if Entities or Deities I do not know make me very uncomfortable. Because I don't know anything about the watchtower but it always comes up. In addition is this something that can also be used before doing any type of work? Yes Sercee I'll be mucking it up, just the All Hail the East.....
But other then that I thought it was lovely.
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

well as a christian could you adapt the calls to, instead of calling on different beings in relation to elements and such. could you call on the different virtues of your god?

...just a thought.
Lark

Post by Lark »

Mozelle Ellis wrote:Would Sercee Elemental one be good for a Christian? Calling on names if Entities or Deities I do not know make me very uncomfortable. Because I don't know anything about the watchtower but it always comes up. In addition is this something that can also be used before doing any type of work? Yes Sercee I'll be mucking it up, just the All Hail the East.....
But other then that I thought it was lovely.
A traditional way for calling the Quarters in ceremonial magic that would work well for a Christian is to invoke the Archangels.

The four archangels, or watchtowers, are asked to protect the participants in the magic circle. Start in the north, call upon the element of Earth and the archangel Auriel. In the east call upon the element of Air and the archangel Raphael. Then to the south, call upon the element of Fire and the archangel Michael. His flaming sword protects Eden. Lastly move to the west, calling upon the element of Water and the archangel Gabriel.

-Lark-
[cherokeewind]

Post by [cherokeewind] »

I would prefer a less formal version myself, like Sercee's starting with the East. There has always been some who begin at the North, but like colors not all do the same way. Guardians, Gate-Keepers, Watch-Towers, is all the same. I call them Spirit-Keepers in my native work. In a pipe ceremony we load a pinch of tobacco as calling each quarter. Something is said at each direction. The pipe stem is pointed in that direction, just as some wiccans do using a wand. Then load a pinch for Mother Earth (center and down), Father Sky (up), Great Spirit (straight up). I think one you would write yourself, might work best. A color associated with each element should be visualized also. Calling the quarters is just part of casting your circle. It is not really a ritual in itself.

If you want a sample of what a Native American might say, this is more complicated than I use for myself.

"Red is the East. Red is the color of the Morning Star and the rising Sun. The East is where we find Peace through Knowledge. The Spotted Eagle, being all these things, it's feathers bring us insight and visions. The Red East is a place where peace, light and new life rise up each day."

"Yellow is the South. Yellow is the color of Spring and for the Yellow Hoop. We feel the warm South Wind, a time for planting seed. The South is where a sacred tree "The Great Mystery" had planted. As the pipe is loaded, so we give thanks for our strength, growth, and healing."

"Black is the West. Black is the color of Water and the Spirit World. The West is where we seek Wisdom from our Spirit Guides. A time to give thanks for balanced emotions sought through the braiding of the Sweet Grass. Here the Sun sets and the place rain originates. Of deeds done in the dark, the West is the end or finality of all things and will become final ."

"White is the North. White is the color of the Great Snow Blanket that covers Mother Earth. The North is where we learn Endurance and Prayer. White Buffalo Calf Woman, Ptecincala Ska Wakan Winan, came to us from the North. The North gives us cleansing, purifying and strengthening power. Those who have a vision of the White Eagle become healers."

Then for the center:

"Green is the Earth Mother (Pipe stem to the ground). We are all of Mother Earth. All plants, trees, rocks, minerals, flying creatures, water beings, Earth crawlers, Earth walkers (4-leggeds), and 2-leggeds."

"Blue is the Sky Father (Pipe stem pointed toward Grandfather Sun or Grandmother Moon). I am standing here in union of Father Sky with Mother Earth."

"I offer this pinch of tobacco to Wakan Tanka (Both arms fully extended above the head, holding pipe level. Hang on to the stem and drop a pinch of tobacco into the bowl using your left hand). Oh Great Spirit, you are creator of all!"

The Spirit-Keepers are animals, or you could call them helpers.
Cherokeewind
Wolf*

Post by Wolf* »

Eretik wrote:Forgot - this calling is one we used for necromantic working,successfully. Don't panic [some folk are fearful of that word,it just means communicating with the dead,] - this is a protective callling for those who wish to contact 'entities beyond the veil ' directly, when used with the watcher incant [I'll get that too,later] I was acting as 'assistant',it was my friends ritual. I am assuming that you will use appropriate means/correspondances/methods for doing workings like this. I don't want to have to go over basics of ceremony, I don't use it now, it's been a long time.lol.
Are you talking about the same watcher that I'm thinking of? Because calling him can be very dangerous in itself if there is some sort of screw up, as I know you know.
---Wolf---

"And a godlike man--a man who is pure force--inaccessible to any compromise--is called a hero."

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”