Disabilities and spell work

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Steven

Disabilities and spell work

Post by Steven »

I was just reading through topics having to do with "rhyme." I was curious if anyone expressed their spells in some other way besides recitation. I had almost dismissed the thought when it occured to me...What if someone has a disability that prevents them from speaking. How then would they express the spell? Does anyone simply speak their spells with their mental voice, silently? I've never been under the impression that such is the standard procedure in working a spell. Please advise.
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

if i couldnt talk i'd probably use sign language.
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

If I couldn't speak for whatever reason I'd use my inner voice. The vocal component is meant to direct intent or, in the case of chanting especially, help you get into a certain mindset. If I wasn't able to do that I'd have to focus inward more to make that path more clear in my subconscious.
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

Have you heard of 'empty hand gestures'? I've had to incant in silence in the past, it's just as effective - intent needs no voice, it speaks volumes whether silent or loud. There are many methods of invocation/evocation, speech is just one.
Steven

Post by Steven »

That sounds right. I think that when the intent is private and personal there is a purpose to keeping the work initmately internal. When, however, formal ritual is being performed or multiple participants are present the work may become more outwardly expressive. What do you all think?
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

Definately hand gestures then, or sign language (same idea, I guess).
LaFiamma
Banned Member

Re: Disabilities and spell work

Post by LaFiamma »

Steven wrote:I was just reading through topics having to do with "rhyme." I was curious if anyone expressed their spells in some other way besides recitation. I had almost dismissed the thought when it occured to me...What if someone has a disability that prevents them from speaking. How then would they express the spell? Does anyone simply speak their spells with their mental voice, silently? I've never been under the impression that such is the standard procedure in working a spell. Please advise.

I don't do spellwork, but in general, rhyme messes things up for me. I don't like the sound.

I think the purpose of rhyme for some people is that the repetitive sound is another means of solidifying the ideas in their head. If you're unable to speak, certainly there are other means for you to express your work, by writing, or within your own mind, or visually.
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

With group intent one voice can speak for all or all can speak, I think both apply. It's good to think this way, have you tried isolating your senses? performing exercises where you use one sense over others etc. will broaden your range of ability.
Steven

Post by Steven »

LaFiamma mentioned writing. That would definitely be my best way of expression but I would not know how to incorporate it into spell work.
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

well alot of people dont "say" a spell they write it, it has just as much focus/ intent without the need to verbalise it, it also gives something physical that the caster may or may not wish to destroy after.
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

Runes are a form of writing often used in spellwork. There are all kinds of scripts used, some coded, have you looked at this kind of writing? These days you can download scripts and suchlike which change your keystrikes into scripted forms. You can also do this by hand, some people keep their notes in coded scripts for privacy and secrecy.
[Hearthwitch]

Post by [Hearthwitch] »

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned dance or other forms of artistic expression. I have a friend who often casts spells by painting them. Personally I've danced up a spell or two and often literally cook up spells.

It really doesn't matter how you do a spell. It is the intent that matters. You can say all the pretty words you want and use all kinds of expensive tools and still not cast a good spell. Your focus and your ability to channel magick effectively is what will make the spell effective. Which methods work the best for you depend on personal taste.

Hearthwitch.
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned dance or other forms of artistic expression. I have a friend who often casts spells by painting them. Personally I've danced up a spell or two and often literally cook up spells.
Now those are some good and creative ideas!
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

painting is actually a very good idea, but whats good about painting and various other art forms if your putting something of yourself there. but as far as dancing we shouldve all thought of that.
Steven

Post by Steven »

This is all very interesting:

Do you suppose the talents that are strongest in a person (writing, drawing, painting, dancing, rhyme, song, etc.) might be strong magickal channels as well? I wonder if there is a corrospondence between one's inner talents and one's inner magick. We're talking about symbolism straight from the heart. That's a beautiful concept.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”