Question regarding spell circles

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
androsan

Question regarding spell circles

Post by androsan »

To Whom It May Concern:

This is James, but some of you may know me as androsan here on the forums. I am coming to you today regarding the question in my subject line. Are there any spells that do not require spell circles, or, if possible, only require one to cast a circle? If so, I would like to know what those spells are. Thank you.

A Pagan Christian,

Androsan (aka James)
jge

P.S. I would like to know how to cast a circle. Thank you.
Comus

Post by Comus »

Of course. I hardly ever cast circles in my magical workings...but then I tend to invent most of my spells intuitively or base them loosley on pre-existing rituals, so you won't find them in books or the like.

Are you after a particular kind of spell? I can't be bothered to put up a list of my spells, so here's a few links to the spells I've provided to others on this forum in the past...none of which require the casting of circles.

http://www.everythingunderthemoon.net/f ... php?t=4127

oh and here's one I couldn't get the link to work for, so I'll just post the spell.

Spell to Ease Depression:
1: Create an altar if you don't already have one. The main feature is it must have a pentagram/pentacle on it. Wood is best. For mine I simply use a wooden box) Place it facing east (where the sun rises from for easy reference)
2: Place an incense cone inside the star. Place a white candle to the right of the pentagram and a quartz crystal to the left. Place a ring with any kind of natural stone set in it, (or if you don't have one a necklace will do as long as it has a natural stone) above the pentagram.
3: Kneel behind the altar (facing East) and light the incense and the candle.
4: Go to the bathroom and smear yourself with anything you like. Traditionally a raw egg is used and you wash it off in the river. But you can use anything (i used moisturiser ) This represents how you have been feeling in the past. Then turn on the taps of the bath or shower and recite before you step in (you can say it in Romani or in my English translation) :"Feri ando payi sisholpe te nauyas" (It was in the water that one learned to swim) and step into the shower, symbolically washing off the past (don't expect a miraculous change-it is really very gradual in reality, but things will change).
5: After you have washed yourself, return to the altar (dressed or undressed, it doesn't matter). Kneel before it once again, reciting:
"Feri ando payi sisholpe te nauyas.
May angle sar te merel kadi yag,
Ankana mukavv tut le Develsa.
Ando gav bi zhuklesko jal o pavor i destesk.
Chailo sim"

(It was in the water that one learned to swim,
before this fire burns out,
may you rest with all the Gods (though you might prefer to say Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, rather than a literal translation)
In the village without dogs,
The farmers walked without sticks,
I am fulfilled.)
Then write on a piece of brown paper your wishes, simplified. e.g: I am strong. I am filled with the joy of the universe. I am in control of my life. (write as though it has already happened -this is important!!.
Burn the paper in the candle flame and take these ashes as well as the ash from the incense. You can do what you like with them. I put them inside a copper elephant. You might like to bury them uner your favourite tree or throw them into a stream. Then put on the ring or hang it on a chain or put on the necklace. Whenever you look at the ring ot\r necklace, remember the spell.
Idz qaala
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

Some people swear that you should always use a circle. Others never do. The point is to practice your rite in whatever way makes sense to you and feels comfortable and safe to you.
androsan

In Reply to Sercee's Post

Post by androsan »

Sercee wrote:Some people swear that you should always use a circle. Others never do. The point is to practice your rite in whatever way makes sense to you and feels comfortable and safe to you.
Well, I'm actually already outside my comfort zone here. As you can conclude from my signature, I am a Pagan-Christian. But I would be comfortable with casting a circle, as long as it is fairly easy, and does not require fire (i.e. Candles). I am currently taking a 'Native American' approach to this. [This is the point where my brain dies on me. lol.]
Baratoz

Re: In Reply to Sercee's Post

Post by Baratoz »

androsan wrote:
Sercee wrote:Some people swear that you should always use a circle. Others never do. The point is to practice your rite in whatever way makes sense to you and feels comfortable and safe to you.
Well, I'm actually already outside my comfort zone here. As you can conclude from my signature, I am a Pagan-Christian. But I would be comfortable with casting a circle, as long as it is fairly easy, and does not require fire (i.e. Candles). I am currently taking a 'Native American' approach to this. [This is the point where my brain dies on me. lol.]
I know how we can put it back into your comfort zone. I picked up the ritual of singing my circle into existence rather thank speaking it. Which is easier to remember and can sound very nice... if you can sing. My cat covers her ears. LOL

We could adapt that for you. So rather than casting a circle you could think of it as marking holy ground through song in which to cast your spells and speak to your god(s).

I could adapt the one I use for you and you could alter it anyway you want to fit you better. However, I am not familiar with Pagan Christian, so other than the Big Three are there other deities and do you consider the elements, do you have an alter and/or tools.
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

I used to be a christian. But that isn't the point. I'm not sure how to word this, but basically I think one can be of a religion (such as christianity, islam or whatever) but still be comfortable looking at other religions for ideas or truths. I assumed you weren't out of (or at least far from) your comfort zone since you call yourself Pagan-Christian. Anyway, if you're comfortable and sincere in your own beliefs you shouldn't be uncomfortable looking at other beliefs. If you are too uncomfortable then perhaps you're in the wrong spot. But there isn't much here to be uncomfortable about (no blood sacrifices of innocent puppies and babies ;) )so, hopefully you can find what you're looking for and it'll help enlighten you.

Blessed Be!
androsan

Post by androsan »

Could you adapt it for me, please? Umm...I'm not sure what you mean by the Big Three, unless you mean the Holy Trinity. But other deities I would be interested in would be primarily the Egyptian deities and a few Norse deities.
As for considering the elements, I kind of do. I am a fire element, but...well, I feel like more of a water element.
As for an altar..hmm.not really. I live in an apartment and my mom doesn't know about what I am doing.
And tools. I don't know what oyu mean by tools.
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

Tools can include:
athame (black handled knife used for ritual-is usually used for symbolism of the God or to 'cut' the boundary of the circle)
boline (white handled knife for herbs)
censer (holds burning incense)
chalice (holds water and liquids for ritual consumption, symbolic of Goddess)
pentacle (represents the 5 elements)
wand/staff (for focusing and directing energy)
broom (for cleansing an area or threshold such as a 'door' in your circle)
cauldron (mixing potions or burning a fire)

I'm running out now. You can use any, all, or none. Also, (and I mean no offense by this) to calm your Christian side, remember that in church many of these things or tools like it are there, too.
androsan

Post by androsan »

Yeah, I can see the resemblance to the Christian church. But the wand....does it have to be anything special? And a pentacle. That I can easily visualize. But the majority of the rest of them probably would not be allowed in my apartment.
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

The wand is usually a wood handle such as rowan, almond or apple with a crystal strapped to it or symbols meaningful to you etched into it. The staff is the same just taller. I don't have either yet.

The pentacle doesn't have to be huge, just something you can set your work onto. It's usually only a few inches across and flat metal or wood. I'm working on making one for myself from a circle of wood. I'm carving a tree of life into the background with the pentacle laid over it. When I'm done I'll post some pics ;)

The boline would only be useful to you if you work with herbs, and then I know some who just use garden shears that are dedicated to that specific work. The athame is often replaced with a 'bladed' hand, like a karate chop.
androsan

Post by androsan »

One question. If I have the pentagram, do I really need anythign else?
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

Only if you want to or see a need for it. The tools are symbols of the Gods or the elements, really. If it's a symbol that you find works for what you're trying to accomplish then use it. If you are uncomfortable with the nature of the tool (ie the blade on an athame) or don't have the means to acquire one then you make do.
GenevieveDawn

Post by GenevieveDawn »

Have you thought about calling on the archangels instead of the watchtowers/ elements when casting a circle? Many people do this you know. Generally you would call upon Michael (who is South), Raphael is East, and the last two are Uriel and Gabriel, but I can't remember there directions. You may be more comfortable with this because of your Christian "side".

Gen
...magic consists of removing the limitations from what we think are the earthly and spiritual laws that bind or compel us. We can be anything because we are ALL. - Mary Greer
Baratoz

Post by Baratoz »

androsan wrote:Could you adapt it for me, please? Umm...I'm not sure what you mean by the Big Three, unless you mean the Holy Trinity. But other deities I would be interested in would be primarily the Egyptian deities and a few Norse deities.
As for considering the elements, I kind of do. I am a fire element, but...well, I feel like more of a water element.
As for an altar..hmm.not really. I live in an apartment and my mom doesn't know about what I am doing.
And tools. I don't know what oyu mean by tools.
Here you go. If you don't like it feel free to change it to suit you better.

Christian Pagan Casting the Circle

A holy place of love and grace,
An alter in a sacred space.
Worthy ground for ancient power,
In this holy, blessed hour.

And so by the Godhead three,
Consecrated, this circle be.
Guardian Angels please attend,
In this holy place. Amen.

Call the watchtowers or Guardian Angels by name.
Invite Deities of your choice into circle.

Releasing the Circle

This circle into four walls fade,
In His most holy name.
Upon sacred ground I have tread,
My magic work for now must end.

Yet all things are not quite the same,
By life and love and old ones names.
I thank the Angels that stood by me,
And the holy Godhead three.
Amen

Thank and dismiss Guardians or Watchtowers
Thanks and dismiss Deities.

Wiccan one I use. I don’t remember who wrote it.

Casting Circle

A meeting place of love and joy,
A shield that none would dare destroy.
A rampart to contain the power,
In our Ladies hidden bower.

And so by the elements be,
Consecrated and by me.
In the name of the Lord and Lady,
So mote it be!

Dismissing Circle

This circle into four walls fade,
By the power of this holy blade.
Yet all things are not quite the same,
By life and love and old ones names.

For I have been the worlds between,
And magic’s mysteries I have seen.
In the name of the Lord and Lady,
So mote it be!
Only through silence can we truly hear the words of the Goddess and God.
Baratoz

Post by Baratoz »

androsan wrote:Yeah, I can see the resemblance to the Christian church. But the wand....does it have to be anything special? And a pentacle. That I can easily visualize. But the majority of the rest of them probably would not be allowed in my apartment.
You mention other deities, I was under the impression that Christian pagans believed in plural Christian Gods like the Trinity. That being three gods instead of one and Mary as the Mother Goddess. Of course, each person varies. Which do you follow?

As far as an alter goes, if you follow the Christian gods, I don’t think you would need all those tools anyway since they represent mostly pagan concepts. The pentacle would be good to have though since it represented Christ at one point. It could be as simple as a drawing placed on the altar or drawn in the air if you are afraid of being caught.

Until you can get out on your own, I think you can get away with using very little in the way of tools. Your pointer finger can be used in place of the athame or wand. Your altar could be as simple as a small table with something on it that has a spiritual connection for you. Like a religious object, drawing or a picture. I am not sure how a Christian Pagan does spell work.
Only through silence can we truly hear the words of the Goddess and God.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”