Candles and oil

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Roan

Candles and oil

Post by Roan »

I should probibly allready know this but, I was wondering, can the oil used to annoit (sp?) candles catch fire? I'm wondering if I should use oil (olive oil i'm thinking, because of olive branches and things) on the candle that i'm going to use tonight, since I'm going to be doing it in my bedroom and I kind of don't want there to be this big woosh of flame and end up catching something on fire. I'm, um, not too used to dealing with fire and candles and things, as you probibly can tell lol.
Addalaide

Post by Addalaide »

I whould say that there is some oil that can catch on fire, but i havent ever had it do it befor. If you have the time and are worryed, annoit the candle like 30 minets to an hour beforhandso the oil can soak into the candle and it wont be oily and stuff. If your candle will do it, i have seen some that have like an extra wax xoting on it that wont let anything soak into it, but most the omes i have are kinda pours so oil will soak in.

Did you make the annoiting oil? dose it have any achohal in it? or anything of that sorts?
Merry Part
~Addalaide
LaFiamma
Banned Member

Re: Candles and oil

Post by LaFiamma »

Roan wrote:I should probibly allready know this but, I was wondering, can the oil used to annoit (sp?) candles catch fire? I'm wondering if I should use oil (olive oil i'm thinking, because of olive branches and things) on the candle that i'm going to use tonight, since I'm going to be doing it in my bedroom and I kind of don't want there to be this big woosh of flame and end up catching something on fire. I'm, um, not too used to dealing with fire and candles and things, as you probibly can tell lol.

most essential and fragrance oils are quite flammable.

also, olive oil is flammable...it was used for lamps by the Greeks.

Really, I am pretty sure that *most* oils are flammable to some extent or other.
GenevieveDawn

Post by GenevieveDawn »

Keep in mind that you don't really need that much oil on the candle. A few dabs is plenty sufficent for what you are wanting to do. I have always annointed mine and have not had a problem.
...magic consists of removing the limitations from what we think are the earthly and spiritual laws that bind or compel us. We can be anything because we are ALL. - Mary Greer
Roan

Post by Roan »

Well, it turned out I didn't have to worry about it catching fire, because the lighter wouldn't work! I ended up just envisioning the flame burning and carried on with the rest of the spell.
Witch1693

Post by Witch1693 »

what is annointing?
[ravenwing]

Post by [ravenwing] »

The majority of oils you would use have flashpoints of 175 degrees and higher. What this means basically is that they wont burn - although there's a flame at the TOP of the candle, the candle itself never reaches a temperature high enough to set the oil aflame. Think about it, if the candle indeed got aywhere CLOSE to that temperature, it would melt WAAAAY before the oil ever got a chance to light.

That being said, we arent talking about soaking a candle in oil here - we're talking about a drop or two at most to annoint it. If youre soaking your candles, youre using about 1000 times too much oil!
LaFiamma
Banned Member

Post by LaFiamma »

ravenwing wrote:The majority of oils you would use have flashpoints of 175 degrees and higher. What this means basically is that they wont burn - although there's a flame at the TOP of the candle, the candle itself never reaches a temperature high enough to set the oil aflame. Think about it, if the candle indeed got aywhere CLOSE to that temperature, it would melt WAAAAY before the oil ever got a chance to light.

That being said, we arent talking about soaking a candle in oil here - we're talking about a drop or two at most to annoint it. If youre soaking your candles, youre using about 1000 times too much oil!
true, but it is good t know that oils are flammable. you never know what ideas people might get when they think somehting won't burn.... (Also, keep in mind, I'm a bit of a fire safety nazi...)
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

what is annointing?
Annointing (in this case) is when you put a couple drops of essential oil, such as jasmine, onto a candle for purposes of ritual, meditation or simple aromatherapy. The oil and candle are chosen depending on the desired synergistic effect.

Annointing is also what is being done during a baptism or when someone puts the cross on the forehead for last rites.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”