All truths are but what?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
SapphireRoad

All truths are but what?

Post by SapphireRoad »

How do you think the hermetic law ''all truths are but half-truths'' is implemented in daily life?
ᚩ ᚷ ᛒ (God and Goddess runes in union)
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: All truths are but what?

Post by SpiritTalker »

Good advice to not believe everything you think you know or have heard; & to do your own fact checking.
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

(personal musings only)

There are subjective truths and objective truths, paradoxes and alignment. Example? Objectively death is a wonderful thing (imagine a world without endings); subjectively death is (usually) a terrible thing. But what seems like a fight is actually a dance.

Look for the questions that burn within you and never assume you can't come to a realisation, it's arguably your heros path.

I go on to read the hermetic maxim as about the importance of recognising a holism. As humans we spend our formative years putting the world into neat little boxes, of definitions and extremes. If we are paying attention after maturity (or awaken) we begin to see the flaws and limitations and unpack those tidy boxes or certainties - 'our illusions' . The wiser we are the less we know?

Spiritual practices are not the pursuit of knowledge but of understanding.

Subjective truths are usually 'personal truths', like personal satori they can have incredible effects on your individual psyche when you discover them while being seemingly insignificant and meaningless to others who may have been born aware of them or are so far away from being aware of them nothing fits or they oppose challenging themselves - besides there is a huge difference between belief and faith; somethings you just know... Or have 'soul knowledge' of. You are usually totally unable to express understanding because its not strictly a language (a more holistic experience).

Objective truths can usually be applied to all curcumstances being 'universal' and seem to have a theme of paradox, first of separation and then of realignment. As I would meditate on: At the heart of the bright goddess in the dark goddess, at the heart of the dark goddess is the bright goddess.

Spiritual plateau's are significant in spiritual development but they must develop, like an old record following a groove and the needle jumping at the same place each revolution ... Knowledge is not understanding. Its why much is occulted in mystical traditions and perhaps linked to why pagans generally disapprove of guru's or spiritual teachers. To paraphrase from a particular psychological standpoint - being told or shown can never have the same transformative affect of realisation or self-discovery, for not all revealed truths are paletable and self-discovery - self revelation - owns it... sweetens the bitterness, makes it paletable.

... However...

The truth is like the questing beast: once you find it, it seems to move and change like a grail of many shapes... yet in the moment you discover a truth, you yourself have moved.
Black Cloud

Post by Black Cloud »

There are few, if any, absolute truths.
"People with a high tolerance for boredom can get a lot of thinking done." -Stephen King
“For every woman is at heart a witch.” -Charles Leland
“Men argue, nature acts.” -Voltaire
“Our life is the creation of our mind.” -Buddha
“Any person capable of angering you becomes your master.” -Epictetus
“Facts don’t cease to exist because they are ignored.” -Aldous Huxley
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

here's a tibit from the Kybalion.
to know thyself, and steer clear of Half knowing :D
Divine Paradox of the Absolute and Relative, lest they become entangled in the mire of the Half-Truth. With this in view this particular lesson has been written. Read it carefully!
https://sacred-texts.com/eso/kyb/kyb08.htm
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SapphireRoad

Post by SapphireRoad »

Thank you all.
I kind of resonate with what Corbin wrote.
Question afterwards is, acknowledging all truths be like that, how can you live with it? Like for all things you do there'd be a plenty of countering forces, & always something missing...?
ᚩ ᚷ ᛒ (God and Goddess runes in union)
barker

Post by barker »

Personally I enjoy the moment Corbin wrote and try to reflect on the difference between knowledge and understanding. Ah, but there are two or more tiers to this world. I may see the truth as possessing as many plateaus as I wish, one which has knowledge at the top (ego), or one which has self at the top (higher self). Or one that has understanding at the bottom (compassion - I mean as though to under-stand), or one that has pleasure at the bottom (primordial), and light at the top (goddess). Beauty in the middle (sex)? Or out and up (starlight), or down and in (logic)? I could use 7 tiers/plateaus and call the system the kundalini chakras! So, what is all this complexity all about? For it would not be wise to assume the truth is complex in all others! Certainly, for to access the Divine is a vastly emergent intent and must predicate by itself great works (that's if you believe the traditions - yes I do). Meanwhile, creating with understanding with newbies or children we must make the truth simple and stick to that indefinately. I have described holiness, I hope: It studies and then it strikes.
barker

Post by barker »

Also:

I personally believe "truth" is the word that is most synonymous with "reasonable" and that is a world we all did want. It can be a very good thing to share (in) it. When does it not work? Pain. When the truth is in pain, mind you, the meditative mind is set for silent meditation.

So I do think there is such a thing as time out. barker

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”