Can they be a Triple Goddess?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
skytwinkle

Can they be a Triple Goddess?

Post by skytwinkle »

Hello everyone! :mrgreen:
Not sure if this belongs here or on the Gods and Goddesses board, but I keep feeling Wicca is calling me. However, I’m perplexed at how to view the deities I follow (close to follow, rather) as a Horned God, Lord and Lady, Triple Goddess etc. I’ve seen others put certain ethnic deities that fit nicely into these names. However, the knowledge of the Basque deities & the pantheon as a whole was largely destroyed centuries ago, making it hard or even impossible to research the mythology in depth beyond a few legends. What I’m interested in is hearing your opinions on if the goddesses I follow can be considered as a Triple Goddess, or if I should wait for a true Triple Goddess to call or interest me:

Ama Lurra/Mari: Mother Earth, mother of the Moon and Sun and all other life
Ilargi Amandrea: The Moon goddess, first to be born and bringer of light to the souls of the dead (said to be the face of god)
Eguzki Amandrea: The Sun goddess, second to be born and banisher of spirits (said to be the eye of god)

On a side note, I’ve been attracted to 3 different deities that led me to further research their pantheon (one of which I mentioned above) and all 3 had something to do with the color red (fire, red mares, & blood) without me knowing or thinking about what their colors might be. Could it be some kind of sign? Could I worship all 3? The other two deities are Celtic & British-Roman in origin (Áine & Cocidius), and historically the Celts & the Romans had a pretty hostile relationship.
Image ”The day is for the humans who live on Earth’s surface. Come the night, and this belongs to the souls and spirits of the dead to whom the Moon alights for.” — J.M of Bariandaran
Shekinah

Re: Can they be a Triple Goddess?

Post by Shekinah »

In the CLOUD of Cosmic Consciousness (Akasha) the Ancients have always known we are ONE. Hermes : "From one Spirit of the universe are all Spirits on countless worlds severally divided". In Noetic Science and Quantum Physics we are seeing an entanglement of matter-energy-space-time elucidating Oneness (Willow-of-the-Wisps of the Higgs Field). If this be our Reality it matters little which representation of the Great Goddess we choose to commune with as our Watcher, Guide and Protector in our quest for enlightenment.
Truth and Reality are highly guarded secrets. Nothing is as it appears. "The ONENESS sleeps in the stone, breathes in the plant, dreams in the animal and awakens in man" (Indian proverb)
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I think any moon goddess is triple as maid, mother, crone in the phases of the moon.

Ama Lurra/Mari: Mother Earth, mother of the Moon and Sun and all other life
Ilargi Amandrea: The Moon goddess, first to be born and bringer of light to the souls of the dead (said to be the face of god)
Eguzki Amandrea: The Sun goddess, second to be born and banisher of spirits (said to be the eye of god)

All are facets of the one gem, metaphorically. A triple goddess is three related aspects of A goddess that work together.
skytwinkle

Post by skytwinkle »

Thank you both! I’ll think on what you said 🙂
Image ”The day is for the humans who live on Earth’s surface. Come the night, and this belongs to the souls and spirits of the dead to whom the Moon alights for.” — J.M of Bariandaran
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

I'm not familiar at all with the deities of the Basque region, but there are many pantheons with a triple aspect deity. (even some male Gods)
They do not always defer back to a maiden, mother, crone which I believe was largely the construct of Robert Graves in the White Goddess, none-the-less the idea does come back to the 3 main phases in a woman's life and the different gates one must pass through. Three was a magical number for many reasons and the ancients knew about it. The Goddess Brighde is probably one of the better known ones though she is Not a maiden mother crone, she had three distinct talents that gained her fame that earned her canonization in the church, for she was a strong Goddess long connected to the lands she was associated with.
Here is a cute old reel of a Schoolhouse Rock short,
(lol ...subliminal magical teachings)
I think one of the neatest things about the number three is no matter how you add it up your root number will always be three!
That's pretty magical in and of itself :fairy:

BB, FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”