Omnipotence

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
rjmamula14

Omnipotence

Post by rjmamula14 »

I know Wiccans/pagans have varying beliefs about their dieties, but that said is their a belief that these dieties are all powerful in the same way the Judeo-Christian God is?
stephanie robinson

Re: Omnipotence

Post by stephanie robinson »

Hey, I cant speak for all but I believe there are a few different beliefs that surround the deities wiccans work with. Two of the ones I have heard are some that believe that deities are physical beings, much like the Christian God, and believe that they can interact and give thanks to these deities with offerings and praise. They can also go a step further and believe that they can speak with these deities during channeling or astral projection.

There are also Wiccans that believe that the deities they worship are physical beings and more of a premise or a theory, I believe. Sort of like they can't interact with them but they are something that should be believed in and treated with respect.

Sorry if I didn't describe this right. I am the former in these two beliefs.

As for all powerful, I wouldn't say so in more regards. I believe that most have a diety that tends to curtain things rather than over all. Like rather then the Christian god that has rein over life, death and ever aspect far and inbetween, in wiccan there are seperate deities for love and beauty( like aphrodite) , money (like plutus), health (like Hygieia) and death (like Thanatos).

That being said, there are christian witches that believe in the christian God and dont worship others along side him. Its completely dependent on how you wish to continue in your practice
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

Of most pagan 'gods'? There are half a dozen different opinions on the subject, few consider omnipotence except those who connect the smaller parts to a whole.

---

However... Depends how subjectively you view power.

Omnipotence would surely require a coorespondance to omnipresence - so rather then simply 'all powerful' but 'all powerful - essentially because is present / composed of all things' then 'The Great Goddess' is (conceptually at the very least) by those measures, indeed omnipotent as she is by our consideration omnipresent.

Neo-druids have a pretty good grasp on this (a different perspective rather then a different source; all illumination eminating from the same light) which is why they are more Christian friendly in the UK which has less fundamentalism.

The major difference is devisive: one where you cannot know anything about 'God's' nature (the very presumption) the other that by understanding the nature of things, you can (as Gnostics, Mystics and hemeticists believe). Dogma vs. Gnosis. .. Specifically 'Tremble and Awe / Fear and obey' or 'reach out to touch' . 'Be you own Priest/Priestess' originates from Gardner's/Valiente's Wicca.

However, as the Christian heretic Palagius once considered - the material world not as 'evil' (such as the Catholic Church considered it at the time) but as God made manifest.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

I typed an answer and it all bliped out :evilwitch:

Anyway, in my tradition the different Gods and Goddesses are like shades of the rainbow all having different aspects and qualities and lessons but coming from the same source, the Light. Not making any one diety all powerful, yet they are all present.

Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

I don't know if I would call it a god. I think I call it the Great Mother and many other names because it is encompassing of all reality and is also nothingness itself. I only see it as GM because that is how my tiny human brain personalizes it and conceptualizes it. But I believe its existence is far beyond me, the gods, and everything else.

Bit of a monist. I am a Wiccan and we honor it as prime mover, the One, dryghten, and universe. But we focus on working with the God and Goddess, as it wills this since it is far beyond us.

It's embodied in everyone and everything, including the gods.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”