Witches and hair color?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Kayla

Witches and hair color?

Post by Kayla »

Alright, this question might seem odd. First, I need to get you about what happened at work today. I work at a local market, and get many regular customers. One of them is "interested". He's know mostly for his conspiracy theories and the fact that he believes he is an alien.

Today when he came in for his cigars he asked me why I dyed my hair a "witch color"? I was very confused, and asked him what he ment. He went on this rant about how witches, in other countries dye their hair as a right of passage. I've never heard of this practice before, so I was just standing there; feeling confused and called out. I'm not out of the broom closet in my community yet, so I just avoided the question by asking questions. Can anyone enlighten me on the subject? Are there hair colors I should avoid if I want to stay in the broom closet for awhile?

Thank you, for listening to me babble!
"I went on a journey to fill the empty spaces inside me, I found the bits of my soul in my friends and enemies."
Lord_of_Nightmares

Re: Witches and hair color?

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

I am unsure of what they mean. But red hair and black hair are primarily considered witch hair colors. Especially, red.

I dye my hair a lot so....
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

Lady_Lilith wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 1:43 pm I am unsure of what they mean. But red hair and black hair are primarily considered witch hair colors. Especially, red.

I dye my hair a lot so....
Thank you! I'm honestly not sure either, my hair is aquamarine right now. I've been dyeing my hair for years, and Ive never been asked this question before.
"I went on a journey to fill the empty spaces inside me, I found the bits of my soul in my friends and enemies."
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

I never heard of such a thing,
although I know of many witches who use various colorful dyes because it's another way to be your own person.
BB, FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

In fantasy novel genres and film it seems witches are often portrayed with red hair. Disney seems to favor split black/white hair for the bad gals which is an underworld coloring 💀 thing. A fairytale like Snow White gives the heroine the white-red-black triple goddess colors. Santa Clause wears red. Its a color of life. As far as I know hair coloring isn’t a witch-thing as much as it’s a social expression thing and the higher the drama the better has been popular quite a while in counter culture.
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

Black. Black cats, black hats, black clothing, black acts, black arts, midnight. Red hair is both lucky or unlucky dependant on source and culture. Anything lucky or unlucky historically could be attributed to witchcraft, especially when people want to explain (or find a source to blame) an unexplainable.

It can be hard to distance witchcraft from 'pop' witchcraft or indeed how pop culture presents modern witches. Being a witch makes you special; everything else is window dressing that either empowers or restricts you. Recognise that and make seemingly simple acts, willful acts.

Be quietly confident. Exposure is a choice - if you are not dripping in pagan jewelry and are fashionably conscious of how pop culture associates certain things with witches its easy to do.

Or say 'no I'm not a witch'. Lie. Witches have no requirement to be honest to anyone except themselves and those they swear an oath to. Especially when the truth - in that situation - could lead to harm.

None of the window dressing is a requirement unless it becomes a 'statement of intent' or empowerment.

------

Occult. late 15th century (as a verb): from Latin occultare ‘secrete’, frequentative of occulere ‘conceal’, based on celare ‘to hide’; the adjective and noun from occult- ‘covered over’, from the verb occulere.

------

Pagans met the other day,

a motley; seemed riven, seemed fae,

some veiled discreet, sober stained from the street,

some bonny, gaudy ribbons and gay.
SapphireRoad

Post by SapphireRoad »

Hare colour was never really specified, yet I think the notoriety had it that hare was usually white?

Perhaps one tunes colours in accordance with his life like seasons, perpetual struggle to see what fits you the most
Alannah Myles had nice white front hare https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... =emb_title
ᚩ ᚷ ᛒ (God and Goddess runes in union)
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

I always thought a woman with a full head of long gray hair looked fabulous and super witchy. :fairy:
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Hazel Moon

Post by Hazel Moon »

I've never heard of this either. Though I suppose people with brightly colored hair, or people with their hair dyed black, could be accused of many things, not just witchcraft. It's sort of like the idea that people with black hair who dress a certain way could be considered a witch, a punk or a goth, depending on the personal views of the person who sees them.

For me, personally, I streak my hair red. Bright flaming red. But it doesn't have anything to do with me being a witch. Although now that I think about it, my element is fire. So perhaps red is the best color for me.
We share our physical lives with those in spirit. For life, like love, never dies.
Love knows no limits, not even death.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”