Adder stone or seer stone

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Observantcat

Adder stone or seer stone

Post by Observantcat »

Anyone have any experience with natural adder stones/seer stones?

Are they scrying? Or something different?

I would love to know how to get ahold of a natural one.

What are your experiences?
barker

Re: Adder stone or seer stone

Post by barker »

Adder stone takes bad luck off the universe, seer stone adds good luck to your spirit community. Not scrying, introspection... Subjective is objective, in the state of grace.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I haven't had any particularly interesting experiences with holed stones. This doesn't keep me from blathering ...

I needed to look up a definition of adder stone. Wikipedia notes It as a "type of stone, usually glassy, with a naturally occurring hole through it. Such stones have been discovered by archaeologists in both Britain and Egypt. Commonly, they are found in Northern Germany at the coasts of the North and Baltic Seas. In Britain they are also called hag stones, witch stones, serpent's eggs, snake's eggs, or Glain Neidr in Wales, milpreve in Cornwall, adderstanes in the south of Scotland and Gloine nan Druidh in the north. In Germany they are called Hühnergötter. In Egypt they are called aggry or aggri. Adder stones were believed to have magical powers such as protection against eye diseases or evil charms, preventing nightmares, curing whooping cough, the ability to see through fairy or witch disguises and traps if looked at through the middle of the stone, and recovery from snakebite. According to popular conception, a true adder stone will float in water."

Well that's interesting. A floating stone! What I usually think of as Hag stones are a type of flint with a hole. They're found on stoney beaches. Over many Summer's of beach combing the Great Lakes I've only found 1 at Petosky on Lk Michigan but got a pocketful of Petosky Stone fossils. They're "seer" stones too because they have "eyes" all over them. I've seen both of these at standard tourist pricing any where tourism flourishes & on line. I've never seen the glassy type holed stones except in photos. I’ve seen the flint type holed stones for sale on line.
Observantcat

Post by Observantcat »

*spirittalker*

Thank you for your response. I'm just curious if they work/are real. Belief is everything.

*Barker*

Thank you
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

It’s the hole in the stone that gives the good-luck symbolism. At the 13,000 year old, multiple stone circle ⭕️ site at Gobekli Tepi, Turkey the altar stone was a three foot tall stone with a hole through the center. The altar stone aligned 13,000 years ago with Cygnus the Swan at the rift in the spiral arm of the starry Milky Way that resembles a crotch so may have represented creation, or the birth of all things. It’s the earliest sacred use of a holed stone. So the “hag stone” represents the sacred birth canal of the Primordial Mother Goddess. As a a symbol of life it signifies good luck indeed.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Another reference I’ve recently come across is from the “Warlocks Handbook” pdf by Matthew Ikonen 2008 Edition, pg 52

A practice for working with Hatun Amaru - Peruvian Anaconda deity/spirit (my note) - is creating the Serpent Stone. Of all the totem stones, this one is probably the most intense, and possibly the most dangerous. Put on your Hatun Amaru necklace and set up her altar and call her as usual. Lie down and think of a particularly rough experience from your past, such as a rape, abuse, etc. Bring it fully in your mind and feel in your body where the experience is lodged, it should feel like a tightness or a ball of threads stuck somewhere beneath your skin. Place the stone on top of the tightness and begin to relive the experience as vividly as you can in your mind. As you do so begin to breathe faster and faster, like lamas breathing. Push the energy out and into the stone with a huge exhale and don't stop until its all out. You can cry, yell, scream, whatever you need to do to get it all out. When you feel cleansed of the experience take the stone outside and bury it. In a few days go back out and retrieve the stone. You can use it now to perform healings on your self or others.
Observantcat

Post by Observantcat »

Wow, thAnk you so much for getting back to me on that! I Know certain things are dangerous, and I prefer to be warned. ;)

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”