Theban practice

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
kalicokitty

Theban practice

Post by kalicokitty »

Hey all! I am wanting to get more fluent in reading/writing theban. I feel like im pretty solid in writing it, but its hard to gauge my reading abilities because i kmow what ive written so im not actually reading it. I was wondeeing if anyone on here would be interested in being my pen pal and exchanging letters written in theban with me?
"There is nothing more melodic, than the purring of a cat."
L.J.Hex

Re: Theban practice

Post by L.J.Hex »

kalicokitty wrote:Hey all! I am wanting to get more fluent in reading/writing theban. I feel like im pretty solid in writing it, but its hard to gauge my reading abilities because i kmow what ive written so im not actually reading it. I was wondeeing if anyone on here would be interested in being my pen pal and exchanging letters written in theban with me?
This sound like fun. :D I was just writing my diary earlier and I switched completely writing in Theban alphabet not long ago. I had a longish break from it, but I'm catching up pretty nicely.

Which variation you're using? I've found several online and opted for the most usual one I think and then made some changes to make I and J stand out of each other and as I mostly write in Finnish, I made up letters for Ä and Ö also. I'm having the same problem, I'm really slow reading it, writing is easy enough. I had a look of something I wrote some time ago and it takes a bit of time to get into the flow.

Do you write the old school way, no spaces between words and so on? I have tried both with and without and the continuous stream of letters makes it look better, but harder to read.

I could think of trying this out if you're not in a crazy hurry with replies. :flyingwitch:

EDIT:
I also make U and V stand out from each other by having the "wing" of the letter face the other way, oh and for W, I make two of them really close to each other.
By my feet the flowers of witchery abloom.
kalicokitty

Post by kalicokitty »

Hey! No, im not in a crazy hurry at all :) the point is to learn, not to rush. I also use the most common for i found on google images. I didnt realize it was originally written with no spaces between words, so i have been using spaces. I havent changed the I/j or the u/v characters, i just rely on the context of the word when translating, but thats not a bad idea! Also, i do the same when writing a w, i generally put the symbols so close they touch. I have to apologize in advance as i do not know any Finnish, but if thats not a problem for you, pm me your mailing address and ill send you mine and we can start exchanging letters! :)
"There is nothing more melodic, than the purring of a cat."
L.J.Hex

Post by L.J.Hex »

kalicokitty wrote:Hey! No, im not in a crazy hurry at all :) the point is to learn, not to rush. I also use the most common for i found on google images. I didnt realize it was originally written with no spaces between words, so i have been using spaces. I havent changed the I/j or the u/v characters, i just rely on the context of the word when translating, but thats not a bad idea! Also, i do the same when writing a w, i generally put the symbols so close they touch. I have to apologize in advance as i do not know any Finnish, but if thats not a problem for you, pm me your mailing address and ill send you mine and we can start exchanging letters! :)
Hmm, perhaps I will write down and show you the tiny difference I made for those letters. Its not totally necessary, but it makes reading bit easier. Ofc also there's more things to remember while writing and I make mistakes all the time.

Wow, real world snail mail letters? You really want to do this the old school way, that's so nice. I'll pm you!
By my feet the flowers of witchery abloom.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”