Imagination or reality?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Ashrend

Imagination or reality?

Post by Ashrend »

Can't remember if IV asked this before but wanted to ask how do you define what is just your imagination and what is real? For instance practicing with working with energies, how do you know your actually doing it and not just your imagination stimulating your brain to think it's happening? I have had a few experiences which I can unequivocally say we're real , however I also have an issue with disassociation so I'm often watching things happening rather than being the one doing it. So for me the line between 'magic' and imagination isn't even visible . What other than blind belief makes you believe in your abilities without being able to tell someone that their great grandad who died in the war says hello?
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Imagination or reality?

Post by SpiritTalker »

. ... How do you know you're actually doing it and not just your imagination stimulating your brain to think you are...?.

Get physical.
I've experimented with PK to get the feel of projecting energy. It's the same thing as casting a circle & setting intent in a spell, as I see it. I've had just enough psycho-kinetic effects to recognize the feel of channeled-energy-release; ex., when the needle of the cheap pocket compass I was practicing on spun & an identical compass next to it that I was not aiming at didn't. A couple times. I was 2 feet away from them. The 1st time it happened I was so surprised i walked over & shook both compasses to see what was wrong with 'em. Doh. I've had more flops than hits but i got it.
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

if you were hoping to get a straight answer to this question, think again! Lol

The difference between imagination and reality has been a hot topic of discussion for millennia, and even when people think they’ve figured it out, someone comes along with a different perspective. For example, say you’ve figured out what’s real and what’s imagination, you’ve solved it, but also you’ve never done psychedelics. One day in your solid reality you decide to take 5 dried grams of psychedelic mushrooms. You’ll quickly realize that you never knew what reality was!

But that’s just an example. There’s some great YouTube videos covering lectures given by Terence McKenna that really get into the meat of imaginary vs real.

When it comes to spirit communication, it gets a little more complicated, because during an evocation ceremony it’s entirely possible to create an astral entity, a product of the mind rather than a true spiritual entity. But then again, if you’re creating the entity, does that not mean it’s real?

But back to the main point, how do I know what I’ve done is real? The best answer is probably because they’ve happened in a way that is different than ordinary reality, or at least the end result has felt different, like it still carries the unique signature it was given in the beginning.
Ashrend

Post by Ashrend »

Interesting thank you for your replies. Spode IL just go with it and hope for the best XD
L.J.Hex

Post by L.J.Hex »

What a timely topic as I ponder on this every time I get a vision during meditation.... How much is just my mind making things up and what comes from outside. I honestly have no clue, but I think our reality is fluid and ever changing and some times its just hard to make sense of it.

Hey Corvidus, funny coincidence you mentioned mushrooms. I have been thinking lately about trying that.
By my feet the flowers of witchery abloom.
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

Well make sure you do some research on them, and definitely review the legality of them in your area.

When I was in college one of my favorite philosophers was Avicenna (ibn Sina). In one of his books he wrote about the differences between the rational intellect and the creative intellect. His version of the rational intellect depended on gathering information from the external, natural world, while the creative intellect gathered information from the internal imagination.

I believe he went on to discuss how the imagination was linked to the Divine, but I can’t quite remember.
omouri

Post by omouri »

i'm shaking on reponses and anyone did actually recommend him this gorgeous youtuber whos actively treating that kind of topics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEK-yuJUgrg

+ and we does actually daily think about if magic is real of we are exagerating reality, i do, ie believe there are quite quantity of realities +
barker

Post by barker »

Reality is entirely imagined, Einstein surmised. Personally I choose to believe that something can be forgotten as "reality" instead when it has been loved until happy. ie, to manifest a house. Then you're not just imagining everything it is and goes on in it.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”