Is Magic a License to Get Even?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Is Magic a License to Get Even?

Post by SpiritTalker »

I was visiting other forums in addition to EUTM, and well ... It just seemed to me that dabblers aren't using their magical skills to improve themselves. A fair few seemed to revel in gimme this or make 'em love me and if it goes sour smack 'em to get even. Tit for tat magic only feeds the drama. What a joke! I want to shout "Get out of the 'pram!" (just watch Congress at work for visual examples).

One of the things that impresses me about paganism is taking responsibility for our own actions & the consequences that result from our actions. There's no "devil made me do it" to blame. There's an awareness that the "other guy" won't change so we change ourselves to change the outer circumstances. Simple mirror spells work... Looking into a mirror at ourself.

And it's not ever easy to change ingrained habits of thinking, of feeling, of reacting & of habitually playing the starring role in our own drama. Ive noticed that esoteric thinking reminds us that we play all the parts astrally until we step outside the drama & see it at work & watch it proven over & over.

Stepping outside our own personal drama is the way to see how the roles are played & how they each feed one another as well as feed-off one another. We recognize when our actions either contributed to or detracted from the Whole Performance. Then we can stop the cycle & redirect our own role.

As I see it, we can decide to step back into The Play or step aside at any time. It's when I've temporarily stepped aside that I have actual power to change, as I've experienced it time & again. And using our magical know-how at these times to set intent makes the changes "stick" because we've changed what attracted us to keep doing the same-old-same-old things, even if we aren't fully aware of what they were. Like any actor we've responded to "what's my motivation" & as in magic we sympathetically act out the goal; therefore the role we play moving forward changes for the better.

But tit-for-tat magic just adds fuel to the fire of a failing performance. I'm thinking of the starry-eyed ones who do cook-book spells cold, without even wanting the understanding that comes from just thinking things through for cause & effect. If they stick with it they're quite likely to catch on, bless 'em. The same methods & systems work for anyone who works at it.

I've jawed on long enough :roll:

Just wondering how anyone else here sees these things working out in life-experiences.
Astro Logical 1

Re: Is Magic a License to Get Even?

Post by Astro Logical 1 »

Free will is a licence to get even.
Getting even is a conduit for continued strife.
At some point someone has to just end it.
Love and Blessings
beemerphill

Post by beemerphill »

"Just wondering how anyone else here sees these things working out in life-experiences."
Ask and Ye shall receive! It is obvious that you were ranting, but what you posted is actually quite insightful and worthy of some serious thought. I come to this board because I enjoy reading what is happening, and also to perhaps learn something. From what I have read the BEST spell is one that makes the caster look inward and make changes to themselves and their perception of matters. These actions will provide the most benefit. There will be external influences that we have no control over, but we have much more say in what happens to us and our reality than most people realize. Looking inward is one of the best first steps to finding a solution to whatever problems we may be having. After understanding ourselves the path to take will be clear.
Thank You for the post Spirit Talker.
barker

Post by barker »

SpiritTalker wrote:Stepping outside our own personal drama is the way to see how the roles are played & how they each feed one another as well as feed-off one another. We recognize when our actions either contributed to or detracted from the Whole Performance. Then we can stop the cycle & redirect our own role.
Good point. If people don't really see what they're doing, they don't really do what they're seeing. Life is not meant to be a such a farce.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Well spoke Spirit.
Unfortunately I think many consider this path the quick fix their troubles rather than being a worker of the will...One's own will that is! When ones seeks to bend the will of another, the seeker fails themself. It's really unfortunate those who are not grasping the deeper mysteries found in shadow work and other such enlightening difficult processes. One of the things I was asked when being reborn a witch was if I was willing to suffer to learn. That question spaned far beyond the pain of a blood oath. No, that is temporary, the question is about looking at one self from outside the self, absolutely.
:fairy:
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
barker

Post by barker »

firebirdflys wrote:One of the things I was asked when being reborn a witch was if I was willing to suffer to learn.
Can I ask how - what intent - this entails?
Anka

Post by Anka »

barker wrote:
firebirdflys wrote:One of the things I was asked when being reborn a witch was if I was willing to suffer to learn.
I'm sure firebird will have their own / different answer. From my background suffering is not considered physical or mental pain but instead the adverson to it. Your mind can twist itself into knots about how things "shouldn't be this way, but should be that way". Saying it in another way, stubbing your toe, losing a finger, losing a job, and losing a loved one. Those are physical and mental pain. The hours spent in a mental freefall about what happened to lose the finger, how you wish you toe didn't hurt, and how your going to end up homeless because you no longer have a job. That is suffering, and that is caused by your mind alone. Perhaps the question refers to living with this, to understand it and work with it.

Anka
Last edited by Firebird on Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: please remove tapatalk signature advertisment
barker

Post by barker »

I get the impression that sort of detachment comes of making a promise to others with strength. It is obviously very hard to convince the monkey mind not to fret over what seems important to it. I suppose a part of me wants to do that again - I used to live that way for years. Dunno, maybe it is wiser not to promise any sort of magic, but I know it does work.
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

I mostly stay on Witchblr, and there are few curses. Most people are looking to improve their life and/or self, and the creation of sigils show cases that.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
barker

Post by barker »

barker wrote:I get the impression that sort of detachment comes of making a promise to others with strength. It is obviously very hard to convince the monkey mind not to fret over what seems important to it. I suppose a part of me wants to do that again - I used to live that way for years. Dunno, maybe it is wiser not to promise any sort of magic, but I know it does work.
Interesting to work through these old choices. I realise I have outdone myself every time. Moving beyond the fear of suffering is "about what lives." I'm very glad that I have done that before. Life is a bitch without patient otherselves indeed.
Lenaleanna

Post by Lenaleanna »

Thank you SpiritTalker for this wonderful conversation...

I hear you, I've been seeing this shift and I believe it's leading the world to thinking and feeling negatively instead of positively...
The one thing many tend to forget, or choose not to remember, or care to follow if I'm being blunt... The Golden Rule of Life... Do unto others as you would have done unto you...
:flyingwitch:
I sincerely and firmly believe and teach the Rule of Three, and *An' ye harm none, do what ye will!* (Harming NONE- including yourself, and no harm at all- watch the ripple effect!!!) Be mindful of *cause and effect*!!! :fairy:

Well, that is just my 2 cents worth LOL... not sure it's worth even that much- hahaha...
Blessed Be-
Lenaleanna (Lena)
When the ground gives way and your world collapses, maybe you just need to have faith. And trust that you can survive this. Maybe you just need to hold on tight. And no matter what, don't let go.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

barker wrote:
can you clarify some...
what exactly are you asking?
...how is one reborn? or the intent of being reborn? or how does one suffer? or the intent of suffering? or are you asking how is the ceremony preformed and with what intent?
?? :| bb
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Lenaleanna

Post by Lenaleanna »

firebirdflys wrote:Well spoke Spirit.
Unfortunately I think many consider this path the quick fix their troubles rather than being a worker of the will...One's own will that is! When ones seeks to bend the will of another, the seeker fails themself. It's really unfortunate those who are not grasping the deeper mysteries found in shadow work and other such enlightening difficult processes. One of the things I was asked when being reborn a witch was if I was willing to suffer to learn. That question spaned far beyond the pain of a blood oath. No, that is temporary, the question is about looking at one self from outside the self, absolutely.
:fairy:
Well put Firebird!!! :fairy:
When the ground gives way and your world collapses, maybe you just need to have faith. And trust that you can survive this. Maybe you just need to hold on tight. And no matter what, don't let go.
barker

Post by barker »

firebirdflys wrote:
barker wrote:
can you clarify some...
what exactly are you asking?
...how is one reborn? or the intent of being reborn? or how does one suffer? or the intent of suffering? or are you asking how is the ceremony preformed and with what intent?
?? :| bb
The intent of suffering lessons instead of learning like a robot. Like, can one do it alone? I don't know any magicians in real life at this time.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Magic is sometimes a license to make more and bigger mistakes. It's also a license to learn from those mistakes.
Daughter of Sekhmet

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”