Feeling Overwhelmed - Any Book Recommendations?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
OrangeOpal

Feeling Overwhelmed - Any Book Recommendations?

Post by OrangeOpal »

Hi everyone! I'm excited to be a member of this forum.
I'm very new to witchcraft, I only just really started getting into it about a month ago when I bought my first Tarot deck. Since then I've been looking into witchcraft online, and have built a little altar and collected a few magical items (crystal ball, which I hope to use for scrying when I feel ready), and I have tried to preform one spell but I just feel so overwhelmed and scrambled - I feel like I don't really know what I'm doing.

I bought some supplies to make a little spell bag and the only thing I need to do now it collect the ingredients to go inside, but I just feel like I'm not ready yet. I feel like I just don't fully understand what I'm doing and how everything actually works. I want to learn, but there is so much information out there and i'm finding myself overwhelmed and confused.

I know that I'm not Wiccan, but I do really like certain aspects of Wicca and would like to incorporate some into my practice. I just don't really find myself interested in the God/Goddess side of it as I don't really believe in that sort of thing (absolutely no disrespect to anyone who does!). So I think I maybe lean more towards the traditional side of witchcraft. Can anyone recommend any ways to get myself properly educated on witchcraft and how to really feel confident and structured in what I'm doing?

I was thinking maybe reading a few books might be a good step if anyone has any recommendations. I have heard that the Encyclopedia of Witchcraft by Judika Illes is supposed to be good. I'd love to hear everyone's opinions and advice!
Thank you smileylove
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Feeling Overwhelmed - Any Book Recommendations?

Post by Firebird »

Hi! And welcome. :fairy:
I think many feel overwhelmed in the beginning. There is alot of info to take in. One reason for a year and a day of study. One wouldn't expect to gratuate high school coming from 1st grade, so be easy on yourself and explore, read, practice. Try on what fits, and place less regard on that which does not. You are on a journey, enjoy the ride!
Blessings, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Welcome.

I had a long piece all typed out & the iPad blinked. Rather than redo I'll summarize:
Janet & Stewart Farrar's out of print "Spells and How They Work" if you can find a used copy, &' Anne Moura's "Green Magic" are good how-to instructional books and not spell cook-books so you know why something's in a spell & how to customize for a goal.

Organize your interests. Assess your weaknesses & plug the holes. Find random ways to connect what you are reading back to what you can feel in Nature. Getting in touch with this usually takes a while to trust but it's where all the stuff we've read starts making sense. The Craft uses energy connections like tag locks & corresponding frequencies that relate to the goal. The elements each support different types of goals. Build spells using common frequencies.
OrangeOpal

Post by OrangeOpal »

firebirdflys wrote:Hi! And welcome. :fairy:
I think many feel overwhelmed in the beginning. There is alot of info to take in. One reason for a year and a day of study. One wouldn't expect to gratuate high school coming from 1st grade, so be easy on yourself and explore, read, practice. Try on what fits, and place less regard on that which does not. You are on a journey, enjoy the ride!
Blessings, Firebird
Hi! Thank you so much. That's true!! I think I just need to slow down a bit and understand that I can't learn everything all at once. I'm going to focus on just a few things individually from now on, and really try to connect with them. Thank you :fairy:
OrangeOpal

Post by OrangeOpal »

Thank you! Spirit Talker. Oh no, it's awful when that happens.
Thank you so much for those recommendations! I'm having a look at them right now.
That advice is great. I really feel like I've been relying too much on collecting lots of supplies and rushing to learn everything at once rather than stepping back, and focusing and connecting with things individually. That's where I've been going wrong, I think! :oops:
Thank you, I'm going to take your advice, focus on just a few herbs/crystals whilst having a read of some books. Thank you again! :flyingwitch:

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”