Candle colours and circle casting

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Moon Petal

Candle colours and circle casting

Post by Moon Petal »

I like the idea of having colours to represent the elements when circle casting (red, blue, green, yellow) however I was gifted two bags full of pink and green tea candles and I’d prefer to use them up before buying any new candles. Could I use them to cast a circle even though the colours don’t really correspond with the elements?
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Candle colours and circle casting

Post by SpiritTalker »

White's the only color that can substitute for another when you're working color symbolism. However you can use any colored tea candle in the right colored votive cup & still work your color scheme. We mark the directions with a light of welcome at the portal; like a porch light when we're expecting company.
Moon Petal

Post by Moon Petal »

Using proper coloured cups sounds like a great idea! Never would have thought of that. Thank you SpiritTalker.
Siona

Post by Siona »

Different traditions do use different colors for different elements. Kemetics working in a more Wiccan context often use black for earth. I know one traditional witchcraft group that uses brown, blue, red, green. Alexandrian Wicca used to have it's own color system, although I believe that's since changed. If you've seen Tibetan prayer flags, they traditionally come in five colors - blue/sky, white/air, red/fire, green/water, yellow/earth. An extra element thrown in, but same idea. Elemental colors, much like the directions they typically correspond with, tools, and so on, aren't really set in stone. It's quite worthwhile to experiment with different associations, and see which one make the most sense for you (unless you work in a specific tradition, or have been doing something for a number of years, in which case that framework is generally already set for you mind).

But, I have to agree, colored glass votive holders are pretty much the easiest solution. You can use up any candles you are gifted, or happen to have on hand, without always worrying about having the right colors at home. As a bonus, they're often sold in rainbow sets, which you can use for lots of different energetic workings.
Gossen

Post by Gossen »

Very neat idea actually. Are you sure "cheating" a bit like that doesn't throw off something in the ritual though?
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

WC is practical & allows freedom and spontaneity.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”