The Intent Argument

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Falcon_Heart27

The Intent Argument

Post by Falcon_Heart27 »

Hi all!

So I know I've been gone forever again... life has been crazy. I hope you're all doing well! Anyway, I'm at a point where I'm starting to work on my spellcasting again after a long period of just... letting my craft kinda stagnate. Now at this point, I've been doing more research and reading again, and I've come across conflicting arguments. I don't really have an opinion formed on them, but I would love to hear the thoughts of some more experienced practitioners! I hope I can spark some enlightened discussion...looking forward to learning!

1. I recently read a post online about how "annoying" it is to see the uptick in interest for simple spells, little jar spells, quick n easy stuff. Saying that ~of course~ it's not powerful, it's like a very trained and experienced musician watching a college freshman playing "Wonderwall" for the millionth time (loosely quoted). This seemed to be coming from the "traditional" and "ceremonial" witch circles. Thoughts on this? Have you observed any severe difference between simpler charms and intense rituals, or does it rely on variables?

2. This same circle of posters was also talking about materials, which really piqued my interest. When I started learning, a lot of the stuff I read was along the lines of "use what you can get your hands on, it's the INTENT that counts". Then I found a lot of arguments that disagree. Apparently for some people, the materials and spell ingredients can potentially make or break the success of a spell. What are your experiences with this?

3. Overall....what's your stance on Intent vs. Tradition? What is "enough"? Wouldn't different correspondences vary by region and/or path anyway? Were these people being stuffy, or are they on to something?

4. Aaaaand finally... that being said, what in your experience makes for the most potent spellwork? Do you have something "traditional" that really works for you, or have you found a personal special something?

I often struggle with making my magic "ceremonial", as I have to work around lots of things (busy life, keeping it secret, and not being able to FOCUS, among other things...), so I'm really trying to tap back into my potency! When I first started on this path, I actually had a lot of success. But now... everything is falling flat, and I'd REALLY like to rebuild my power sooner than later. I've got some big magic plans to spring into action.

Anyway, I hope this sparks some interesting discussion! I had a lot of questions pop up during my reading, and couldn't think of a better place to bring them.

Looking forward to talking and learning!

~ F[SPARKLES]
Last edited by Firebird on Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Please remove your tapatalk signature
SnowCat
Banned Member

The Intent Argument

Post by SnowCat »

Well, I'm non-traditional and eclectic, and I rarely use tools. I prefer to rely on intent. I rarely do any ritual work. I do have a close relationship with my deities, and I talk to them throughout the day.
Daughter of Sekhmet
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

The Intent Argument

Post by SpiritTalker »

Interesting & thought provoking topic. Sure hope many will kibbutz. Just FYI, I'm a secular-eclectic & do folk magic with a minimum of fuss; I've used the same home made set of tools for 20+ years. Yet it's never boring.

1. Have you observed any severe difference between simpler charms and intense rituals, or does it rely on variables? I've got the attention span of a gnat so by default i succeed best with simple & routine practices to minimize distraction. These can thus be sufficiently intense experiences because I'm then able to focus.

2. ... materials and spell ingredients can potentially make or break the success of a spell. What are your experiences with this? It applies if you believe in it &' someone would probably believe it if they worked predominantly with the spirit of the plant. i use very few ingredients but I do know from experience that certain plants with which I've created a relationship (they are thus local & readily at hand) will give reliable & predictable results. I know they will work with me. They have an effect on me & that impacts my ability to focus on the goal.

I'd had real difficulty relating to plants so I focused on lily of the valley, mint & rose all from my back yard. I used their strongly different scents to educate me as to their uses & didn't consult a table of corresp. Each has a signature energy distinctly different from any other. Each triggered subtle associations in my thoughts & perceptions. By working with just 3 living plants I found plenty of magical applications for each. They're also willing to work together, whereas lilac was determined to stand alone, ie it's scent doesn't mix well with others. The sensory experience of smell is very primal so relays archetypal imagery & associations. I can work with those. If I don't connect with the plant then there's no point in me using it.

3. Wouldn't different correspondences vary by region and/or path anyway? Were these people ... on to something? Correspondences can appear to vary by region & even individual perception. Energies transmit frequencies within a range. If we're in the range we resonate at that frequency. I think ranges account for the appearance of correspondence variables. Usually the range rings true. Human mind's tend to work along similar pathways no matter how far apart the cultures are in geographic space or chronological time.

4. what in your experience makes for the most potent spellwork? Do you have something "traditional" that really works for you..? Being in the zone, in the head-space that the desired outcome is real. All the razz-i-matazz is stage setting to get into that zone.
Siona

The Intent Argument

Post by Siona »

I believe intent is important, but that it's not the only component to magic. Successful magic involves raising and focusing energy towards a goal. It's like setting out to bake bread. You can buy the ingredients, intend to do it... but it's not gonna get done without some work and some know-how. You toss all those ingredients into a pan, but don't proof, bake, etc, well, that's not gonna be good bread, even if that was your intent. That said, how that work manifests in a magical working, that can happen in a multitude of different ways. Some things may be best approached through a heavily ceremonial manner for some people, for other things, and other people, not so much.

For me, ingredients and symbolism in spell work is all about focusing that energy into the goal. This can be a personal thing. You are correct - the fact is that different numbers, colors, animals, actions, sounds, plants, rocks, foods, etc, can have vastly different correspondences from culture to culture. A simple pomegranate can represent anything from prosperity, death, marriage, fertility, mysticism, and more. It's all about context. So yeah, there are times when you should adjust existing spells to fit your specific context. If your marriage spell calls for a pomegranate, but the thing only makes you think of the dead... maybe pick another fruit. If the wedding spell calls for a white bridal veil, but because of your culture all you see is a white burial shroud... maybe go with another cloth. It is still more than intent in a way, because the items should help you focus. If the items mean nothing to you, they will not fuel your energy as well.

That said, I do believe there are rituals that should not be altered much - usually those belonging to a specific tradition or culture, or those invoking outside deities or spirits. Those tend to work within their own framework, and changing things around can cause issues. Again, all goes back to context.

There are plenty of traditions out there that work in less ceremonial contexts, such as kitchen witchcraft, various kinds of folk magic, the magic of the 'common' people, and so on... but you still have to practice it, do it, and put your energy and effort into it in some way to get results.
Lord_of_Nightmares

The Intent Argument

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

Intent isn't the end all be all of spellwork. My life has dramatically changed based on my "good" intent and it's never been the same since. I did everything right and it still ended up negatively. As they say "the road to hell is paved with good intent".

Spells are recipes, so substitutes won't work in every spell. No, you can use natural (it is the opposite of ceremonial) magick as opposed to ceremonial and it still works. I love to personalize my work. When it's super traditional it's usually for special occasions such as Yule which I do mostly for the gods.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
Shekinah

The Intent Argument

Post by Shekinah »

Intense and elaborate ritual may impress humans but not the Gods/Goddesses we work with. Emotional content is an important factor for success. I think KIS (keep it simple stupid) is the most direct path to energy manipulation.

Materials are to facilitate our visualization prowess and is of little consequence for the skilled Wizard who may have no need for such chicanery.

Tradition is mute without Intent. Any layman can go through the motions of tradition and nothing happens. A well formulated intent with emotional content influences probabilities irrespective of Tradition.

For serious magick I orchestrate it from a solitary Circle in the presence of my patron Goddess.
Truth and Reality are highly guarded secrets. Nothing is as it appears. "The ONENESS sleeps in the stone, breathes in the plant, dreams in the animal and awakens in man" (Indian proverb)
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Intent Argument

Post by Firebird »

Siona wrote: It's like setting out to bake bread. You can buy the ingredients, intend to do it... but it's not gonna get done without some work
Yep, Sonia is absolutely right. Foot work is an essential part of spells. It's like you can do all these things to make bread, you can even alter the ingredients slightly, but if you do not turn on the oven ....you can wish all day for bread, yet, you will not have bread.
:fairy:
Ps...good to see you again! Welcome back!
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Falcon_Heart27

Re: The Intent Argument

Post by Falcon_Heart27 »

These are all such wonderful and thought-provoking answers! I wish I had the energy to go through and respond to each one, but alas.... thank you all for the responses, I'll definitely be re-reading these for a bit. If anyone else wants to jump on the conversation, please do!

Hopefully I'll be able to post my own thoughts once I ruminate on it a bit. :)

~F

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”