Social Media and Spiritual Stagnation

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
missbelladonna

Social Media and Spiritual Stagnation

Post by missbelladonna »

Good morning!

I don't know if this post is going to make sense to anyone, but I'll try my best. In high school and middle school, I was the kind of teenager that would not have her hands off of her phone. I think this was because I didn't have many friends, and I filled the void of having no one to talk to that way. I think I'm in a similar situation now where my friends have moved away for school, and I'm waiting for classes to start as well. The point is, I waste a lot of time on my phone. I can't even tell you what I'm doing on there because I think I just switch between apps and either check notifications obsessively or look at memes.

I spend a lot of time doing this, and I think it's taken away my ability to focus. I can't sit down and get into a TV series anymore, and I haven't read a fiction book that I liked for a long time. I just can't focus on it, and I'll need to have my hands on my phone while I do it.

It feels so icky when I look at a screen, not only physically, but spiritually, I feel like I'm not really present in the moment? I feel like it's a generally icky spiritual feeling that overcomes me and makes me tired.

I did delete the Instagram and Twitter apps off my phone and decided that if I want to use them, I'll set time aside to do it on my computer, so it's not always with me. I think once I start school and I'm busier, I'll be less tempted, but I still will have time to fill that I don't want to fill on social media.

My questions are: what do you guys do for fun that doesn't involve looking at a screen? What makes you relax, but also makes you feel refreshed when you're done? What are some hobbies that are also spiritually fulfilling? Does anyone else know about the icky feeling I'm talking about lol?

Thanks!!!
"Keep your heels, head, and standards high." -Coco Chanel
Tylluan

Re: Social Media and Spiritual Stagnation

Post by Tylluan »

I think most people will feel the way you do :) We are all phone mad. Sometimes its a good thing. For example I have Pinterest on my phone, along with Instagram and I love looking for news ideas.

The problem is when you are a slave to it, and life is suffering you have to take action. The best thing you've done is to recognise it. Rather than going cold turkey just try and do something away from your phone.

Go for a walk and people watch. Its great for psychic work, feeling what people are going to do next etc. If you start with small bursts it won't be so bad. Perhaps get a little notebook too and everything you feel yourself reaching for your phone, grab your notebook and jot something. A feeling, a scribble picture, even a shopping list.

Good luck, I'm going to put my phone on charge in another room haha
My soul is awakened, my spirit is soaring. And carried aloft on the wings of the breeze. For above and around me the wild wind is roaring. Arousing to rapture the earth and the seas.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I think I have the gist.
I'm retired & have time & my friends are elsewhere.
I have mobility issues.

Just find your interests and follow them.

Some ideas: cook; but not in the summer heat. Garden. Star gaze on clear nights. Do simple beading. Try painting. Write a short story or poem. Color in mandalas. Write in your journal. Read some subject that you never tried before. Use free time to teach yourself a psychic skill or Tarot. Investigate ghost hunting using psychic sensitivity or EMF meters. When you can't concentrate go outdoors & seek sunlight &'putsy around. Mend something. Do a task you've been avoiding. Feed birds &'strays. If you're the active type walk, exercise, do head stands. Cast &'dissolve circles for practice, but remember the energy is real.
missbelladonna

Post by missbelladonna »

Thank you everyone!

I've been doing good with this the last two days. It does feel a lot better now that I'm mindful about my use of my technology. Obviously, I still use my computer, but I'm spending less time just holding my phone, and that's great. I'm starting school on Monday, so my time will be more filled. I'm also working on finding a creative outlet for when I have free time. I'm thinking about embroidery or maybe starting painting again. I want to start knitting and reading more again as well :)
Tylluan

Post by Tylluan »

Knitting would be great. I love to crochet. Its easy and takes my mind away from my phone :D
My soul is awakened, my spirit is soaring. And carried aloft on the wings of the breeze. For above and around me the wild wind is roaring. Arousing to rapture the earth and the seas.
missbelladonna

Post by missbelladonna »

Tylluan wrote:Knitting would be great. I love to crochet. Its easy and takes my mind away from my phone :D
I love yarn crafts so much, but I'm so bad at finishing projects!!! I started this tapestry weaving of a hummingbird with scrap yarn a while ago. I'm determined on finishing it. However, I shouldn't have made something so big lol.
LC

Post by LC »

I have a friend who started knitting as a way to de-stress and she loved it. Now she makes and sells knitted hats.
I like walking and reading fanfics. Since most aren’t long, it’s like a quick pick me up but don’t read angst- go straight to fluff
Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”