Humane skeletons

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Ashrend

Humane skeletons

Post by Ashrend »

No that's not a typo , I want to get some animal skulls but I want then to be humanely sourced as in died of natural causes and found in the woods wherever in the world and wanted to know if any of you had any ideas how I could accomplish this. I know I can ask sellers on eBay ect how they obtained then but they could very easily lie just to get a sale and I don't live in an area where if I checked regularly enough I could find animal skulls around. I'm aware I can buy antlers which fall off deer naturally but I specifically want skulls both for paganistic use and I have an affinity for them for many years. So any ideas?
T'a Nuk

Re: Humane skeletons

Post by T'a Nuk »

Roadkill. I gather alot of it. Squirrel, various birds, deer, even a coyote from time to time. It is easy to boil them for use, but you sort of just have to take what you can get. Up here we actually have bone and leather stores that sell such things but as a result of hunting and trapping. They are expensive and do not share my philosophies. What are you looking for?
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I know that in the back-to-roots forms of the craft animal bones are used ritually for piercing the underworld to touch death as part of the natural cycle of life/death/rebirth. Some use found small animal skulls as spirit houses. (When I'd asked my spirit-guide if he wanted a house he asked "what-for?" well, I was thinking of making him a terrarium or bird-house. It was a while before he'd stopped laughing...Oh-kaay, not a house then. Works for me.)

I thought about how to fulfill the intent behind the use of bones & ran into the same random-kill issues. I am what i am, so In my modern urban life-style thinking, i figured that the link ought to work with teeth; so I bought a "certified authentic" dinosaur tooth from amazon (science dept) to serve the ritual link function (ew, it obviously didn't floss). IMO the dinosaurs are guaranteed to have died naturally. Dino's were dominant masters of the planet a very long time. It provided a very tooth-&-claw tag-lock link (no pun intended) & led into the life/death/rebirth cycle smoothly.

Skulls represent the first initiate & the ancestors and many use crystal skulls or resin replicas for symbolic use...amazon carries a fair selection as Day of the Dea d celebration items. I have 2 replicas I've named "Skully & Mulder" for my far-out future ancestor altar. One has colorful flowers and the other has a Ouija Board layout imprinted on it. The symbolism suits my bizaar necromantic links to a tee. Replicas may not appeal to others but I'm darned if I see any honor to be shown if I scrounged up a previously owned one.
Ashrend

Post by Ashrend »

T'a Nuk wrote:Roadkill. I gather alot of it. Squirrel, various birds, deer, even a coyote from time to time. It is easy to boil them for use, but you sort of just have to take what you can get. Up here we actually have bone and leather stores that sell such things but as a result of hunting and trapping. They are expensive and do not share my philosophies. What are you looking for?
Mainly skulls that have been humanely gathered. IV been told forest around my area are good for it but I don't drive so can't access them. I'm vegetarian so the idea of chopping up a dead animal, skinning it and boiling it turns my stomach but I love the skeleton and bones. May be a little hypocritical but it's why I want to find humanely found skulls rather than hunted animals
Ashrend

Post by Ashrend »

SpiritTalker wrote:I know that in the back-to-roots forms of the craft animal bones are used ritually for piercing the underworld to touch death as part of the natural cycle of life/death/rebirth. Some use found small animal skulls as spirit houses. (When I'd asked my spirit-guide if he wanted a house he asked "what-for?" well, I was thinking of making him a terrarium or bird-house. It was a while before he'd stopped laughing...Oh-kaay, not a house then. Works for me.)

I thought about how to fulfill the intent behind the use of bones & ran into the same random-kill issues. I am what i am, so In my modern urban life-style thinking, i figured that the link ought to work with teeth; so I bought a "certified authentic" dinosaur tooth from amazon (science dept) to serve the ritual link function (ew, it obviously didn't floss). IMO the dinosaurs are guaranteed to have died naturally. Dino's were dominant masters of the planet a very long time. It provided a very tooth-&-claw tag-lock link (no pun intended) & led into the life/death/rebirth cycle smoothly.

Skulls represent the first initiate & the ancestors and many use crystal skulls or resin replicas for symbolic use...amazon carries a fair selection as Day of the Dea d celebration items. I have 2 replicas I've named "Skully & Mulder" for my far-out future ancestor altar. One has colorful flowers and the other has a Ouija Board layout imprinted on it. The symbolism suits my bizaar necromantic links to a tee. Replicas may not appeal to others but I'm darned if I see any honor to be shown if I scrounged up a previously owned one.
You've got a fair point, il look into Amazon and see what they have to offer but I would prefer the genuine article and not a dinosaur fossil
Lenaleanna

Post by Lenaleanna »

I'm not sure where you live but often if you get out to a forested area and have the time, look around for even small animal skulls. We live on a farm so we have an advantage, but we've been collecting animal skulls and bones even before I found my path. We have a variety between bird skulls, racoon, a mouse, and other various skulls. We find things randomly all over especially in the Spring after the snow has melted.
I hope you find what you are looking for!
Bright Blessings,
Lenaleanna
When the ground gives way and your world collapses, maybe you just need to have faith. And trust that you can survive this. Maybe you just need to hold on tight. And no matter what, don't let go.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

The Dino tooth I have is a real tooth; a very-old-tooth of an amazing, once living, but low profile creature something like a finned crocodile but the size of a bus. A fossil is an imprint of something that had been filled in over eons by mineral deposits like trilobites. Dino bones and teeth are the original parts, not fossilized deposits, depending on where they were found of course. I totally get it that a tooth doesn't have the eye appeal of the whole skeletal system, but I'm squeamish too and can't even boil chicken off the carcass for soup. The bile rises.
Ethereal Moon Rose

Post by Ethereal Moon Rose »

Go walking through a forest/swamp/remote area. You will find something surely. The amount of times my family and I have gone for a bush walk and came across skeletal remains (over here though it's usually only sheep remains).

I'm with you in not trusting anyone on ebay to tell the truth about that sort of thing.
Ashrend

Post by Ashrend »

Hhhmmm IL defo try and see if I can get to a forested area then and have a look about. I may look into dinosaur bones as well see what's about. Thanks peeps
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

I've always seen clean animal skulls at the pow-wows I've gone to...
and this is the season for them.
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”