So many questions, so little time

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
wantingtolearn

So many questions, so little time

Post by wantingtolearn »

I am new to Wicca and Witchcraft. Before anything, I want to do some research about the subject. Call me naturally curious, I like learning, especially about things that interest me.

The first question that I have is about Candles. Well, multiple questions about them really. First, when using candles for ritual purposes, is it better to make them, or are store bought for rituals fine? If you make them, do you imprint some of your essence when you do? When you make/buy them, does it help/hurt to carve runes into the candles?

When it comes to runes, is there a respectable source that I can use to identify and define runes accurately? I found a book, and an online archive, but on some of the runes the definitions were contradictory. Runes themselves fascinate me, and all of the literature that I have read has said that it is a great and useful part of practice.

Are altars necessary for practice? Are crystals? Is an Athame necessary for practice?

For potions and spells, are there any basic and necessary ingredients that I need? Also, is there a material that is better for brewing? I.E. cast iron or pewter?

I appreciate any information that you can give me. I am not really sure of any covens near me for me to learn, so online forums are really the only place for human to human information.

Thank you for all your help and information.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Re: So many questions, so little time

Post by SnowCat »

I buy candles at the store. I have neither an altar, nor an athame. I have never carved anything into my candles. Most of what I do is internal. I tried using the altar, tools, rituals, but that wasn't a good fit for me.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
EveningWithAstaroth

Post by EveningWithAstaroth »

wantingtolearn wrote:I am new to Wicca, and Witchcraft. Before anything, I want to do some research about the subject. Call me naturally curious, I like learning, especially about things that interest me.

The first question that I have is about Candles, well, multiple questions about them really. First, when using candles for ritual purposes, is it better to make them, or is store bought for rituals fine? If you make them, do you imprint some of your essence when you do? When you make/ buy them, does it help/hurt to carve runes into the candles?

When it comes to runes, is there a respectable source that I can use to identify and define ruins accurately? I found a book, and an online archive, but on some of the ruins the definitions were contradictory. Runes themselves fascinate me, and all of the literature that I have read has said that it is a great and useful part of practice.

Are alters necessary for practice? Are crystals? Is and Athame necessary for practice?

For potions and spells, are there any, basic and necessary ingredients that I need? Also, is there a material that is better for brewing? I.E. cast iron or pewter?

I appreciate any information that you can give me. I am not really sure of any covens near me for me to learn, so Online forums are really the only place for human to human information.

Thank you for all your help and information.
Hello.

Store bought candles are just fine, and there is no hard and fast rule about making them either. It comes down to a matter of personal preferences and if one has the finances. For myself making them isn't currently in the budget although I have done it before. While making them can bring an added appreciation to your work it can also achieve the opposite depending on personality type ie for me I am a stickler. I did not enjoy the process of making candles on my budget at the time and when I had obtained the candle making equipment my current group all interested in witchcraft came on over and felt the need to invite themselves to take part. We ended up mixing every wax color I had and added wicks and ended up with darker purple candles, that simply were not dark enough for my taste, my group of girls loved them, I however did not. I prefer buy mine and I do not feel I am energetically lacking in any way, there are means of adding one's energy to something store bought as well.

Which leads me to the next question, if you make them do you imprint your energy. Of course with any creative endeavor if you make something yourself there is your own energy that goes into it and contributes to it. Not only that but if there are slight imperfections in what you make, this is what can make this item genuinely crafted by you like an energy signature, think art, a certain artists uses a technique or a theme to their work. Making things is much more personalized. Additionally as I said you can if store bought add your own energy to these items as well, with patience and time. Like in a way an old antique feels very antique or has a homey feel, it seems to have a consciousness of an era, or if you are given something by someone and while it is something you like the energy still does not feel right and you can not quite explain it. You have the item set on a dresser and you love the person that gave it to you, and may love the item itself- say you love horses, but the item bothers you. Personal belongings can have history attached to them, many times history of the item itself.

As for carving runes into the candles no it does not hurt, if it is something you personally would enjoy doing and trying. Now if I were to read a book on witchcraft that tried to persuade me or otherwise tell me that I absolutely have to carve runes into my candles for a spell to work, I would classify it as hogwash and refuse. It is a personal thing, if you feel you would enjoy carving runes into them go ahead. No one can tell you you can not unless you are involved with a particular coven and it is the mass majority that this is not done this way- which is why I work solitary. I have a refusal to follow rules that don't involve the absolute law. I see no reason why if you would like to carve runes or anything else that you shouldn't. It surely will not hurt.

I can not personally answer your question on sources of runes, or about the runes, because I do not use them in my craft. I dabbled when younger with creating my own, but no longer really use runes in my practice.
I am hoping however there is someone else here who uses them frequently and whom can help you with that.

Altars necessary for practice? You kinda lost me there. Altars are usually a space set aside for spell work, meditation, feeling closer to our deities, ancestors, a space where one will divine, essentially a sacred space for magical work. For myself personally these sacred spaces are a necessity and are randomly placed about my private bedroom which would mean I have more than one, and I genuinely do not care if anyone comments or asks me about them. I post photos of them on facebook for heaven's sake. I don't care what others think. If I met a guy and he asked me what my altar is or commented what is this about I'd tell him one of two things- it is a table open your eyes- or that is my altar. Just like that. Possibly depending on how much I like him. Is it mandatory? Perhaps not. Perhaps you may like to perform you spell and or rituals in a different space each time, like your desk, or on the floor, or on your bed wherever. Whatever feels right to you within your practice should be right. You don't need to fork out a ton of cash for an expensive altar cloth, or chalice, or wand, whatever. Use what you have available to you at first, use what you want. Use the tools you'd like. Some witches use a bell, others do not, they don't like bells, some have a literal broom others do not, some like to use incense others are sensitive to scents and do not- seriously I know someone like this and as far as I know she is not a witch or wiccan, but she can not tolerate scents around her, perfume, candles, incense. etc. Focus for now on what you have currently at hand/ on hand and what feels right to you, and learning more about witchcraft. You are just starting, enjoy and take your time learning and adjusting, if you would like to.

As for crystal and athames same rules apply. Do you like crystals and have a few already, or would you have to purchase some, and can you afford to purchase a couple here and there if you indeed do like them? It is highly personal. Some people don't like or want to work with crystals. And they don't, and that is just fine, and they are still quite capable of magic. I like crystals and will at times use them for certain things, I designate to use them for. I am particular about my crystals. I use them a certain way. Some use them for spells, I will not. I use mine for something else.

Some use athames and like to use athames for casting circles and directing energy. I do not. The last circle I cast I cast physically with a pattern for spell work upon the bedroom floor- I did something I rarely do and did not use my altar as I very much wanted to physically cast a circle and have no way of getting a full physical circle around my altar against the wall. In other words do what you feel comfortable doing. If you rather use a wand then use a wand, if you would rather not use either a wand or athame in your work then don't use either. I neither use an athame or wand often in my work. No one gives me any salt about it either, and I do not imagine anyone here would at least. It is solely up to you and your personal preference and what you are comfortable with. What your craft becomes is what you make of it.

If you are solitary for the most part. Some can't really use permanent altars due to they do live with others who are unaware of their beliefs and they do feel they are not ready to go and tell them, so they make due the best they can.

Personally even if my family judged me for my beliefs, my father is Christian. My personal bedroom is my space, and I'll "decorate" however I want.

Potions and spells. With potions those making them tend to use ingredients yes but that is not set in stone. You don't have to use a certain herb someone else makes their potions with, you can substitute similar herbs. If you have interest in potion making I am sure there are some topics here that you may find helpful for a general outline. There is the kitchen magic and witch craft forum here that probably has some great information. I am not normally too much of a brewer or potion person craft wise. Spells are probably best done like most anything modeled after one's own creativity. Some like to work spells with candles, incense, others like to write up intricate rituals, some darn ritual robes/ attire, many write their own spells and use ingredients that have a certain and specific meaning to them personally. Some use stones in their spell work. With spells I find it better to write them as personal to you. Say a love spell, I may use rose flower in a small bowl and place a sigil written on paper with my intent within as a simple love spell, I may light a tea light candle after to set the intent and will that it is done in the eyes of my deity. Someone else may write a love spell and do something completely different, they may use fiery substances, herbs. They may use ginger, cinnamon, orange zest, and a musk, and recite a prayer and them burn the herbal mixture. Some use perfume in spells, some wear ritual jewelry during spell work.

It is very individualized. Most do what feels right to them, or what they have learned works best for them.

There are basic spell outlines here around the forum as well you may find helpful.

The wicca and witchcraft 101 section has some good information as well as the post a spell or ritual section.

Hope some of this helps.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Hi.

My take on store bought candles vs home made candles is that it doesn't matter to the magic which we use because we imprint our energy signature when we charge the candle. Some people enjoy creative projects & feel the continuity of personal magnetism is a plus. I've done both. Inscribing any connecting link on a candle is another focus aid.

I don't use runes or tarot decks so can't comment on them. I usually use a wooden handled, steel knife for outdoor circle casting & prefer a wand indoors around my cats. I made my wand & pentacle & woodburned symbols on the athame handle. I can see energy & a blade emits a strong ray of light while a wand emits a flexible ribbon. My fingers emit a waffling cloud. The tool obviously helps me focus.

Altars are tools used for balancing energy, focusing & directing our thoughts for devotion or magic. We can worship & do magic any place & any time so obviously it isn't needed to do the job. It's nice to have a place to set a prayer candle & to get in out of the rain. l Gear: 🥣 burning bowl, 🕯candles, 🍸potion cup,🧂salt, 💨incense, ⚱️Oil, mortar & pestle, strainer

Re - potions - chances are you already have the basic kitchen gear like sauce pan, measuring utensils; use kitchen herbs because you know they're safe. Scent is a key directly to our brains & another focusing tool. Popular herbs are lavender, chamomile, mint, sage, rosemary, thyme & basil & teas. Potions can be used to anoint spells, as a spray or wash, consumed as a tea or tincture or mixed in wine. We Can replace incense smoke with aerosol mist with similar elemental symbolism.

Re - spell components - choose what you feel is related to the goal by element, property, scent, appearance. With crystals the energy they emit can back-up a spell. Ordinary stones will hold a charge/intent & are free.The magic market attracts us with glitzy glamours so be aware before buying.

Cauldrons of iron vs pewter: If pewter cauldrons exist they'd be very expensive. Cast iron rusts & must be heat treated with veg oil & never washed with soap. Iron has magnetic properties that is thought to release vital energy. Pyrex oven proof bowls cost less. Both hold water & bake bread. 1-quart size works for me & fits on my work space.

Witchcraft is a relationship with Nature. Just tossing some sweet herbs or pretty stones into a spell pouch isn't going to do a bit of good without the gut feeling for the underlying spirit within them that connects with the Sacred Earth which empowers us & helps to focus our attention on our purpose for doing a spell.
wantingtolearn

Post by wantingtolearn »

Thank all of you for the information, its been helpful to me in more ways than one.
TwilightDancer

Post by TwilightDancer »

I know you've had quite a few responses now but I'll add my answers just to give you another's take on it.

You know, when I was just starting out I would use birthday candles. They're really cheap and burn down super fast so there's little to no cleanup. It wasn't until I was... maybe 6-7 years in that I started to get nicer candles.

I know there's a lot of opinions on Altars, Athames and Crystals but in my opinion, when you get right down to the root of it all, all you need is your intent. I myself have never had an Athame. My "Altar" is my kitchen. It's my work space. Crystals are nice to channel your intent and energy into, nut not a necessity. I started my craft when I was 14 with birthday candles and a notebook/pen. That did me well for years until I moved into adulthood.

When I'm cooking/brewing things I prefer cast iron but that's just because I love the material and again, it's not necessary. Ingredients of course, would depend on what it is you're brewing.

You'll discover as you move through your craft what works for you and what doesn't. There is no "right" way for everyone, nor is there a "wrong" way. If it works for you, it works for you. And that's what matters.

:fairy:
Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”