Atheist witch?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Tutmosis

Atheist witch?

Post by Tutmosis »

Is it possible to be an atheist and a witch at the same time?
T'a Nuk

Re: Atheist witch?

Post by T'a Nuk »

An atheist will deny the existence of anything beyond science of the physical plane. A witch is the polar opposite and strives to dwell beyond the physical.

An atheist will say there are no gods, goddesses, or supreme cosmic intelligence. A witch depends on these things being so.

Anyone claiming both is a conflicted individual for certain.
RyukaAscendant

Post by RyukaAscendant »

I could see it if the individual believes magic is essentially psychic ability rooted in deeper levels of science we do not understand yet. But denies it as a spiritual power.
Child of Gaia; student of Athena, Odin, and Djehuty; and follower of the middle path.

Moderation in all things, including moderation.
Siona

Post by Siona »

An atheist simply does not believe in a deity or deities. If you believe magic to work through the harnessing and focusing of naturally existing energies and skills, no deity necessary, then yes, you can be an atheist witch.
Pallando

Post by Pallando »

RyukaAscendant wrote:I could see it if the individual believes magic is essentially psychic ability rooted in deeper levels of science we do not understand yet. But denies it as a spiritual power.

This

Siona wrote:An atheist simply does not believe in a deity or deities. If you believe magic to work through the harnessing and focusing of naturally existing energies and skills, no deity necessary, then yes, you can be an atheist witch.
And also this.

Of course it is possible to be an atheist and a witch... its just not possible to be an atheist and a Wiccan.
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

Yes they can. Many see gods as nothing more than archetypes or fiction that works. Atheists simply don't believe in the literal existence of a god.

I found this blog on atheist witchcraft:
https://humanisticpaganism.com/2014/05/ ... eistwitch/
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
Tutmosis

Post by Tutmosis »

Wow these are all some great answers. I was really asking out if curiosity more than anything
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

I actually don't believe in the supernatural - something beyond nature, I believe nature encapsulates everything including that which might be labeled "supernatural"; on the border of the realm of our understanding, beyond our current ability to understand or classify.

So beyond scientific understanding? Yes. Beyond the laws of nature? No.

I could bore you with the list of reasons for this attitude ... but to deny something? That requires certainty and even I'm not that ignorant of my ignorance ...

Certainty murders possibility; you can't learn and evolve from a standpoint of certainty.
RyukaAscendant

Post by RyukaAscendant »

Corbin wrote:I actually don't believe in the supernatural - something beyond nature, I believe nature encapsulates everything including that which might be labeled "supernatural"; on the border of the realm of our understanding, beyond our current ability to understand or classify.

So beyond scientific understanding? Yes. Beyond the laws of nature? No.

I could bore you with the list of reasons for this attitude ... but to deny something? That requires certainty and even I'm not that ignorant of my ignorance ...

Certainty murders possibility; you can't learn and evolve from a standpoint of certainty.
Beautifully worded.
Child of Gaia; student of Athena, Odin, and Djehuty; and follower of the middle path.

Moderation in all things, including moderation.
uaya

Post by uaya »

I started in this same boat and found a witch named Chaweon to be a great resource as she talks a lot about her journey from atheist to a witch. Her YouTube: Witches and Wine, Instagram: hichaweon
also recommend this interview she did on her youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZlld4-QoAY

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”