Self Dedication

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
LC

Self Dedication

Post by LC »

I am slightly confused on when the self dedication happens. I have read some things that after you do the self dedication you start the year and a day. And in other things they say to do it after the year and a day? When does it occur?
Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Self Dedication

Post by SpiritTalker »

When you feel you are ready. It's a personal decision, not a rule.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Hi LC. Remember that all spiritual paths have differences of activities and philosophies. Witchcraft is just another spiritual path, and then within that path are many traditions and practices. The author(s) that you're reading and whose advice you are following subscribe to self dedications before practicing witchcraft, year and a day learning, and perhaps that one must have two patron gods, as well.

These practices are common to paths such as various forms of Wicca, for instance, but they are not a necessity in all witchcraft paths. In terms of self dedication, some might say that just working on a spell is one's way of showing dedication to one's craft/path, and that that's the only self dedication that's important really, no ceremony needed.

It is my experience that if you don't do any of those things, it will not bar you from working spells and doing other witchcraft activities successfully, any more than it would bar you from painting a painting say, or cooking a recipe in the kitchen, or playing a song on a guitar. In fact, spell working is very akin to cooking ...there are ingredients to use, which get combined in some way, and an end product of some sort is obtained.

Spell working, painting, cooking, music...these are all creative processes, making you yourself a bonafide Creator Being. Do we need permission or patronizing from other beings to create what we want to create? In fact, some people find it rather insulting to be "patronized," by a god or another human being. It's all just physics really, manipulating subtle energies and dense matter on different levels. Are we not entitled to access these energies (as much as any god) because we are our own sovereign beings?

This is just another perspective I'm sharing with you, and not in any way putting down the aforementioned popular pagan practices. In the end, you will select which practices and principle are relevant to you, and which are not.

The best! :wink:

LC

Post by LC »

Thank you all! I looking through as much material as I can to find out whatever I can and seeing what feels right.
Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”