Should I be worried?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
susieluna

Should I be worried?

Post by susieluna »

I was doing a spell today to rid myself of anxiety (which had immediate results that I'm delighted about) and something spooky happened.

I lit all my candles as usual after casting my circle. I use blessed water to cast a circle so I think I may have gotten some of my candles a little wet. But they burned fine for the first part of the spell and they only got a dribble of water on them at the most.

Anyways, during the spell I raised my athame to the sky and said 'as above' and then lowered it to the earth and said 'so below' RIGHT as I said 'so below' my green candle (which represents Earth) started making this loud zapping noise and was flickering like crazy then went out.

I've used this candle before but it's still pretty new. I trimmed the wick on it when I bought it and my other candles, of the same kind, had no issues.

When it went out I got goosebumps all over my body. I'm new to magick so I was a bit taken aback.

I keep telling myself it must have gotten a bit wet and that's all but it was burning for a good 10 minutes after I used the blessed water just fine. I removed the candle and used a different Earth candle instead and am worried that wasn't the right decision.

I proceeded with the spell and didn't allow myself to get scared. I realized that if it was just the water then it would all be okay and if something else caused the candle to act this way, that I was in a circle of protection and could not be harmed.

My question is, does this mean anything or is it just my over active imagination taking over?

Also if anyone wants the Anxiety spell let me know, I am so happy with how it turned out.

Blessed be Brothers and Sisters :flyingwitch:
The Earth plays music for those who listen.
planewalker
Banned Member
Location: In my head with all the other inmates. We think one of us is schizophrenic.

Re: Should I be worried?

Post by planewalker »

You had an incantation to drain the negative energy of anxiety. It worked quickly. The energy causing the problem had to go somewhere. It was grounded. It was going somewhere - to earth. The candle went out just like the energy went out of you. Or, the candle got wetter than you thought. Take your pick. Which feels right to you? Your intent was to remove negative energy and you were emotionally invested in that outcome. Strong emotional energy can fuel intent and help you focus, even if that is accomplished sub-consciously. If you can consciously detect the difference in the "feel" of the casting you can cultivate that feeling to use, with practice, it to improve your casting technique. Using a new candle was, in my opinion, optional. That's a judgement call depending on your estimation of the situation. The candle going out was, after all, a part of your working.
Shireside

Post by Shireside »

I wouldn't be too worried about it. You got the results you were looking for out of your working, so it's a success, right? Chances are good that the candle fizzled out because of the water! Molecules move in mysterious ways~
The map is not the territory, the facet is not the jewel.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

I would also interpret it as a positive sign that the Earth has accepted your excess negative energy. You'd be surprised at the little synchronicities that happen in ritual ... Yes, you had blessed water and that's probably what caused it, but the timing is telling.

I once had an experience when my coven was doing our Ostara ritual. We had a set of elements/quarter candles that we'd been using for a while. A coven member had consecrated them by wrapping twine around each one and hanging a charm from the twine to designate the elements. A few minutes prior to this Ostara ritual, another coven member (let's call her M) had been criticizing herself for not being smart enough. When it came time for M to receive the blessings of each element during the ritual, I noticed that the Air candle seemed extra bright ... because the candle had melted enough to set the twine around it completely on fire! It was shooting flames like a foot into the air. I actually screamed, "HOLY CRAP!" (not my most dignified moment as a priestess) and someone else managed to grab the candle and douse it in our blessed water before we set off the fire alarm.

Now, we'd been using these quarter candles for months, with no problems. None of the other candles caught the twine on fire this way. It was, to us, a clear sign that the element of Air (associated with wisdom and intellect) was trying to get M's attention and remind her that she actually is VERY smart and not to disparage herself. I mean, I know exactly why it caught on fire (we will not be wrapping twine around our pillar candles in the near future), but the timing was extremely synchronous. Sometimes magic is subtle ... and sometimes the signs are very obvious and in-your-face!
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I've also experienced synchronicity and candle response within a working. In my early days I'd cast circle & later raised power for practice and released it without telling it what i wanted it to do. I foolishly thought a practice wasn't real. The energy IS real. Always. My north/earth candle exploded at the exact moment I'd released the energy, thus grounding the reckless power. I dove for cover. It had been a new, and good quality, votive-type candle. When my hands stopped shaking, I thanked the Powers for overseeing my efforts & closed.

I'd accept the outed candle as that wonderful gift of sychronicity within magical work. Relighting the second candle and continuing with your rite was exactly the correct thing to do to tie up any loose energy threads & complete the rite. You kept your wits.

If you don't want to keep second guessing your experience, take another exactly similar candle, flick some water at it, light it and watch how it behaves, without a circle or anything.
susieluna

Post by susieluna »

planewalker wrote:You had an incantation to drain the negative energy of anxiety. It worked quickly. The energy causing the problem had to go somewhere. It was grounded. It was going somewhere - to earth. The candle went out just like the energy went out of you. Or, the candle got wetter than you thought. Take your pick. Which feels right to you? Your intent was to remove negative energy and you were emotionally invested in that outcome. Strong emotional energy can fuel intent and help you focus, even if that is accomplished sub-consciously. If you can consciously detect the difference in the "feel" of the casting you can cultivate that feeling to use, with practice, it to improve your casting technique. Using a new candle was, in my opinion, optional. That's a judgement call depending on your estimation of the situation. The candle going out was, after all, a part of your working.
Thank you for your reply. I'm pretty practical and would usually call an occurrence like this a coincidence but it felt different. Like I mentioned, I got goosebumps all over my body. Perhaps it was the anxiety leaving my body that put it out. That seems (oddly enough) the most logical explanation. I'm not so worried about it anymore so thank you :fairy:
susieluna

Post by susieluna »

Shireside wrote:I wouldn't be too worried about it. You got the results you were looking for out of your working, so it's a success, right? Chances are good that the candle fizzled out because of the water! Molecules move in mysterious ways~
It's ironic I was doing a spell to rid me of anxiety and the actual partaking in the spell made me anxious lol Thanks for the reply, my mind is at ease over it. Either way, I'm happy with the result and was well protected.
susieluna

Post by susieluna »

Xiao Rong wrote:I would also interpret it as a positive sign that the Earth has accepted your excess negative energy. You'd be surprised at the little synchronicities that happen in ritual ... Yes, you had blessed water and that's probably what caused it, but the timing is telling.

I once had an experience when my coven was doing our Ostara ritual. We had a set of elements/quarter candles that we'd been using for a while. A coven member had consecrated them by wrapping twine around each one and hanging a charm from the twine to designate the elements. A few minutes prior to this Ostara ritual, another coven member (let's call her M) had been criticizing herself for not being smart enough. When it came time for M to receive the blessings of each element during the ritual, I noticed that the Air candle seemed extra bright ... because the candle had melted enough to set the twine around it completely on fire! It was shooting flames like a foot into the air. I actually screamed, "HOLY CRAP!" (not my most dignified moment as a priestess) and someone else managed to grab the candle and douse it in our blessed water before we set off the fire alarm.

Now, we'd been using these quarter candles for months, with no problems. None of the other candles caught the twine on fire this way. It was, to us, a clear sign that the element of Air (associated with wisdom and intellect) was trying to get M's attention and remind her that she actually is VERY smart and not to disparage herself. I mean, I know exactly why it caught on fire (we will not be wrapping twine around our pillar candles in the near future), but the timing was extremely synchronous. Sometimes magic is subtle ... and sometimes the signs are very obvious and in-your-face!
I guess we'll never now the true meaning behind each of our occurrences is, we can only interpret it ourselves. I choose to believe that it was something bigger than the water making my candle go out, or the twine causing your candle to catch fire. I'll be looking for more signs of synchronicity in my work from now on. Thank you so much for your response.

P.S I think 'Holy Crap' is a very reasonable reaction to something like that happening, I'm sure my words would have been a tad more crass.
susieluna

Post by susieluna »

SpiritTalker wrote:I've also experienced synchronicity and candle response within a working. In my early days I'd cast circle & later raised power for practice and released it without telling it what i wanted it to do. I foolishly thought a practice wasn't real. The energy IS real. Always. My north/earth candle exploded at the exact moment I'd released the energy, thus grounding the reckless power. I dove for cover. It had been a new, and good quality, votive-type candle. When my hands stopped shaking, I thanked the Powers for overseeing my efforts & closed.

I'd accept the outed candle as that wonderful gift of sychronicity within magical work. Relighting the second candle and continuing with your rite was exactly the correct thing to do to tie up any loose energy threads & complete the rite. You kept your wits.

If you don't want to keep second guessing your experience, take another exactly similar candle, flick some water at it, light it and watch how it behaves, without a circle or anything.
Wow, that's insane. Just like you, I was shaking after my occurrence. I'm choosing to accept it as a positive thing, a gift like you mentioned. Whether or not that's what it truly was, I interpreted it as a sign. I felt bad energy leave me just at the candle went out, I have to believe that means something. I got quite emotional afterwards, I won't lie.

Anyway, I'm glad it happened either way. Thanks for your response, it's opened my eyes about the true potential power of energy. Blessed Be!

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”