What do you put in your Witches' Protection Bottle?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
freyja13

What do you put in your Witches' Protection Bottle?

Post by freyja13 »

Hi Everyone!

I hope our nearing to the festival of Lugh has been exciting as much for you as it has been for me! :flyingwitch:

I usually make a witches' bottle around this time of year; I try to have all my materials ready by Lughnasa, asking for Lugh's blessing and empowerment for my bottle, then I allow it to 'marinate', and, finally, wax it shut, and bury it somewhere close-ish to my residence sometime between Lughnasa and Samhain; however, not so far that negativity misses the bounding power of the witches' bottle.

I choose to start earlier than Samhain when the witches' bottles are traditionally buried (as it is the start of a new year), to give me some time to spend gathering supplies and connecting with my bottle; like I said 'marinating' it=enchanting it over days with the strong power of Lugh to fill it with protection.

For those of you who don't know what a witches' bottle is, it's: a glass container, usually a mason jar (or just a glass jar) that includes items corresponded to ward off evil that would harm you or your family. Herbs, objects and usually something of the owner to represent their protection are included.

These bottles have been in use for centuries. Especially in the late-middle ages, the jar was a way to protect yourself from evil attacks and negative energy that would do you wrong. I wonder if this practice was started by early Witches and then the information spread to its' use by Christianized people who in turn used it during the witch panic in 17th century Britain?

For me: it is a sort of back-up tool, I use to protect my family throughout the year; burying my bottle before Samhain, usually Samhain's Eve.

I am interested: what do YOU ALL include in your witches' bottles?

What strange items have you heard being included?

Has anyone heard of these, medieval, interesting methods?

I have also heard of metal nails being used, (usually iron or tin-these metals in particular; for some reason) being included? As well, as, juniper, frankincense and other herbs, resins, and powders of protection and banishment being added.

[/u]Ask a different Witch or Wiccan, and they will all tell you different answers as what to put in a witches' bottle.

My hope is to make this a thread where people recommend what they would use in their bottle, what they've read of and personal recipes.

So, when another member (say a new member to the site) wants to make a witches' bottle they have a plethora of ideas and commentary to their disposal.

Blessed be to all in Love and Light,

:ashrune: reyja13
Shireside

Re: What do you put in your Witches' Protection Bottle?

Post by Shireside »

Love the thread! I haven't buried bottles since I moved into this apartment situation three years ago, but at my previous home, one with adequate space to call my own, I did bottles every Litha.

...the things that go into them were never pleasant. I fueled mine to be as repulsive as I felt I could make them. I'd collect rusty nails and broken glass from the garbage area, lead gun pellets, and if opportunity presented, a few coins pinched from the offertory plate at the local church.

*Edit: Bodily fluids of certain types are traditional components of this type of magic, and makes for powerful protections for your home. However, as the topic is one of censure here, I'll leave those ingredients out except per request.
The map is not the territory, the facet is not the jewel.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Hello friends, this is a great topic, but please be mindful of forum rules that prohibit discussion of certain topics (e.g. use of bodily fluids in spells). Thanks!
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I have never done a witch's bottle. I may put one together this year. Having something of iron in the bottle would be for protection from the Unseelie, as iron is toxic to the Fae. Ideas for something of one's self, could be hair or nail clippings, or even just exhaling into the bottle, to catch the vapor of breath.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I use the small baby food jars. The size is perfect and the wide mouth easy to fill. A mandatory part of the spell after the jar is filled, is a red thread, with 13 charmed knots to bind, wound around the outside of the cap, and sealed with wax drippings. I do not use salt inside the jar because salt neutralizes psychic energy, & I will be psychically charging the finished jar. Inside the jar I might use an odd number of any of the following:

broken mirror shards, or tin foil to deflect & confuse
bent pins, to poke and prod
tangled threads, to confuse
cat toe nails, shed not cut, as these have the curved claw shape (I have cats who donate)
dirt or dust bunnies, of my property
thorns from a dead rose branch
garlic, against ghosts
black pepper, repels
nightshade or poke weed berries, they grow wild in the alley & both are toxic
iron bits, or filings to repel harmful Fae
screws, to confuse with the spiraling threads
vinegar to top off, to mark my territory
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

I've made a variant on a witch bottle once, to absorb the bad energy from one particularly manipulative individual who had it out for me. I used a lot of pins, vinegar, and cayenne pepper, sealed with black wax. It's doubling as a freezer spell as well (the bottle lives in the very back of my freezer to help freeze out her negative intentions).
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
planewalker
Banned Member
Location: In my head with all the other inmates. We think one of us is schizophrenic.

Post by planewalker »

A small bell, I like to get a cat collar with a bell and let my cat wear it for a few days to set a ward. I ask her to charge the bell to sound to let me know the protection has been activated and a small piece of paper and pencil stub to let me know who wished me harm. Always nice to set a ward on your protection. I like to use a rusty nail and some black salt to put in the ground between the bottle and house to add an extra layer of protection. You can use a small plastic bag to hold the salt in contact with the nail and make sure the salt doesn't melt away from the nail.
freyja13

Post by freyja13 »

Turncoat wrote:Love the thread! I haven't buried bottles since I moved into this apartment situation three years ago, but at my previous home, one with adequate space to call my own, I did bottles every Litha.

...the things that go into them were never pleasant. I fueled mine to be as repulsive as I felt I could make them. I'd collect rusty nails and broken glass from the garbage area, lead gun pellets, and if opportunity presented, a few coins pinched from the offertory plate at the local church.

*Edit: Bodily fluids of certain types are traditional components of this type of magic, and makes for powerful protections for your home. However, as the topic is one of censure here, I'll leave those ingredients out except per request.
Thank you so much!

I hope this thread gets everyone's attention as I believe its' something all of us Wiccans, regardless of traditions: Gardnerian, Eclectic, Hedge witches, Nordic, Greek, Alexandrian-- and all other traditions (I can't recall at the moment)-- use because most traditions have some form of the Wiccan's (protection) bottle in their lore.

Please share your experiences guys n gals!
Pallando

Post by Pallando »

I will participate in nearly any other topic, and answer nearly any other question.....

But there is not now, nor will there ever be, ANY mortal who knows what is contained in that particular container.
KhaixRoze

Post by KhaixRoze »

Usually, an emanator of the magical places their interest within an jar.
So for instance, its akin to storing an intention within thine self to reflect it within our reality.
Filling a chalise with liquid, writing a notebook full of ideas, picking up a hand full of sand.
It teaches, and helps us cultivate the practice of comprehending the ability of our minds to open the mind, fill it with abundant thoughts of relevant interest, close the mind, and allow it to cultivate its own jargon based on how and what we filled the space within.
Of course, after some time, we open the jar again, to see how the ideas have grown and shown forth within our reality as a reflection of our own appropriation.

Peace, Love, Unity, Serenity
Khai, Sir Roze

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”