Question about Eko chant

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
freyja13

Question about Eko chant

Post by freyja13 »

I work with the Norse deities and ever since I started my craft about 5 years it's been, I have used the witches rune. I have seen this attached to the end of the witches rune which I use in my spellwork, however I usually don't use it. However I did one time replacing the last two names with my dietes with good results.
Here it is

"Eko, Eko, Azarak,
Eko, Eko, Zomelak,
Eko, Eko, Cernunnos
Eko Eko Aradia!"

I read in my books that I can replace Cernunnos and Aradia with the deities most dearest to me.
My question is what does Azarak and Zomelak mean?
Are they dieties as well? Or words of power?

Thanks guys,

Freyja
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Question about Eko chant

Post by SpiritTalker »

I read a footnote in the Farrar's book "Witch's Bible" that it was possibly a Basque chant, and because the last 2 are western deity titles or names, they speculated the 1st 2 were as well, but were Basque regional names & I think "eko" means “here is” in Basque, so is like hail!

There is an Indonesian island named Zomelak.

I'd be delighted if someone here knew the right answer. All I know is what it isn't.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

You know, I often wondered about the word Eko, why it was used and what it's orgin was.
Sometimes I wonder if it is as simple as it looks. Eko=Echo.?
So it was a call...I call to you! (Insert God/dess) Echo me back!
???
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

I think Ovid wrote about Echo in his Metamorphosis

Why don't you try evoking the other two?
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I'm off to look up Ovid. Thanks for the tip, Corvidus.

Holy cow, Firefly, you could be right! :D. It's a form of call and r.s.v.p. Source: http://www.theoi.com

[359] Once a noisy Nymph, (who never held her tongue when others spoke, who never spoke till others had begun) mocking Echo, spied him as he drove, in his delusive nets, some timid stags.—For Echo was a Nymph, in olden time,—and, more than vapid sound,—possessed a form: and she was then deprived the use of speech, except to babble and repeat the words, once spoken, over and over. Juno confused her silly tongue, because she often held that glorious goddess with her endless tales, till many a hapless Nymph, from Jove's embrace, had made escape adown a mountain. But for this, the goddess might have caught them. Thus the glorious Juno, when she knew her guile; “Your tongue, so freely wagged at my expense, shall be of little use; your endless voice, much shorter than your tongue.” At once the Nymph was stricken as the goddess had decreed;—and, ever since, she only mocks the sounds of others' voices, or, perchance, returns their final words.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Thinking on the Goddess whose voice was stuck in the canyon gave me that inspiration, but
I fell like something is lost here...also Ekho was Greek did that bleed over to Rome?
The first two names rhyme nicely tho, who the heck are they or is it like rhyming babble? Maybe a form of glossolalia? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossolalia
But then the last two seem out of place.
And perhaps you could insert the names of the God and Goddess you wish to Ekho back. :wink:

I encourage people to be creative. You could change it up...
Eko, Eko -God speak to me
Eko, Eko -Goddess of three
Eko, Eko -Cernunnos!
Eko, Eko -Cerridwin!

“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
freyja13

Post by freyja13 »

firebirdflys wrote:Thinking on the Goddess whose voice was stuck in the canyon gave me that inspiration, but
I fell like something is lost here...also Ekho was Greek did that bleed over to Rome?
The first two names rhyme nicely tho, who the heck are they or is it like rhyming babble? Maybe a form of glossolalia? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossolalia
But then the last two seem out of place.
And perhaps you could insert the names of the God and Goddess you wish to Ekho back. :wink:

I encourage people to be creative. You could change it up...
Eko, Eko -God speak to me
Eko, Eko -Goddess of three
Eko, Eko -Cernunnos!
Eko, Eko -Cerridwin!

I really like that idea. I shall let you know how it goes. I wish I knew if the first two are deities or just words or power/sacred words meant to raise energy. They are included in almost every Witches' rune chant in books and audio; you'd think there would be an explanation or translation of what it actually means. Thanks everyone for your input. If anyone finds anything please post.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”