Ritual to start your year and a day

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
moonlightsonata

Ritual to start your year and a day

Post by moonlightsonata »

Has anyone done a ritual to formally mark the beginning of their year and a day of study? Any ideas? I'd like to do it on or near Midsummer's Eve.
Daughter of Hecate and the Morrigan
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Ritual to start your year and a day

Post by SpiritTalker »

When I started I didn't know how to do more than lite a candle and stick of incense. I didnt know elements from elephants. I wrote a pledge/petition for guidance on the path. The framed paper still hangs on my wall. Then I just started walking the Path from where I was.

Someone who is just getting started isn't expected to know ritual, or have any tools to use. On your word of honor, make a pledge to yourself of your specific intention and goal, and the time frame to which you commit. Don't pledge more than you can comfortably handle. Then keep your word. There is no need for a formal Wiccan ritual because beginners have not learned the meaning of it yet.
Siona

Post by Siona »

Most study programs I have seen don't really have any such rituals, or if they do, they're very simple... such as just lighting a candle, doing a bit of deep breathing, and sort of stating your intent, and thinking a bit about what the study means to you.

The day one of other programs usually involves writing down the answers to some questions - like, what does (path) mean to you, why are you pursing it, what do you hope to gain from it, what do you hope to learn in the coming year, what fears do you have, etc.

It's completely personal, not something you have to show to anybody else, and something you can look back on after the year is up (or even longer down the road).
Shawn Blackwolf
Banned Member

Post by Shawn Blackwolf »

From my Tradition;

We would *inform* whatever elementals, spirit helpers, Faery, and/or gods and goddesses of our intent, stating it out loud in circle. This *sets* the process, and brings it from a thought frame into outer manifestation.

Then, we would draw this bind rune in red henna on both hands while holding thought of what process you were beginning. Redrawing it once every new moon, for thirteen new moons, would act to recharge the intent, for a year, and day, as that was our ancient year.

(one rune means year, one means day)
Attachments
rsz_1img_0688.jpg
smogie_michele

Post by smogie_michele »

I've never done such a ritual, but I kinda love the idea of starting a year and a day with deep meditation and reflection. Something super simple.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
nightshroud

Post by nightshroud »

I do a sunlight salutation by drumming every morning until I can feel the sun shine through my window
The darkness is my friend for I am Nightshroud the darklord.
moonlightsonata

SpiritTalker wrote: On your word of honor, make a pledge to yourself of your specific intention and goal, and the time frame to which you commit. Don't pledge more than you can comfortably handle. You are honor-bound to keep your word. There is no need for a formal Wiccan ritual because you have not learned the meaning of it yet.
I guess I'm in a different place then the average person who is just starting out. I practiced Wicca for a year and a half previously. So I do know things. But this path, this person who I am walking it; that's all totally different.
moonlightsonata

Siona wrote:

The day one of other programs usually involves writing down the answers to some questions - like, what does (path) mean to you, why are you pursing it, what do you hope to gain from it, what do you hope to learn in the coming year, what fears do you have, etc.
Thanks for this! I've been journaling a lot but there is no structure to it. It would be nice to have an entry or two where I could look back and see some specific thoughts.
moonlightsonata

Shawn Blackwolf wrote:From my Tradition;

We would *inform* whatever elementals, spirit helpers, Faery, and/or gods and goddesses of our intent, stating it out loud in circle. This *sets* the process, and brings it from a thought frame into outer manifestation.

Then, we would draw this bind rune in red henna on both hands while holding thought of what process you were beginning. Redrawing it once every new moon, for thirteen new moons, would act to recharge the intent, for a year, and day, as that was our ancient year.

(one rune means year, one means day)
I like this. Simple, but good. I like the rune on the hands...I like the symbolism of that.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

moonlightsonata wrote: I guess I'm in a different place then the average person who is just starting out. I practiced Wicca for a year and a half previously. So I do know things. But this path, this person who I am walking it; that's all totally different.

By all means make use of what you know. :mrgreen: The rune Blackwolf suggests is somewhat similar to the Witch' s Foot symbol that combines X and I , X being the four directions and four seasons, and I being the axis mundi.
Shawn Blackwolf
Banned Member

Post by Shawn Blackwolf »

True , Spirit Talker , what you and others know as the
"Witch's Foot" to us is the rune called Ay - Yer , with
six spokes , and means world tree , of two worlds ,
protection in two worlds , beaver , builder and many ,
many other layers of meaning.

It is contained in the bindrune but the two separate runes
making the bindrune , are my tradition's specific ones for
year and day. There are so many crossovers between systems
especially when in my tradition's each rune has 77 layers. lol.

Gets complex very quickly.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

These symbols are a hoot, with all their layers and evoking the consciousness to peel back layers upon layers to interpret them. I like the witch's foot as a GPS system. :D
moonlightsonata

Today I performed my dedication to the Goddess and God, officially beginning my year and a day of study.  I had hoped to go camping and do it, but I chose a place which I could get to on the bus and yet feels very "middle of nowhere", right by the side of a river. It was calm and peaceful and joyful, much like Wicca as a whole feels to me.  Last night I wrote out what attracted me about Wicca, what I was hoping to obtain from it, and what my fears are.  The first time I was in Wicca I didn't admit I had any and they came out in repeated dreams.  This time I'm just being honest.  I've believed in hell for all those who don't practice the Catholic faith for 15 years and you can't just shake that off.  I don't think I would be concerned if I was still Christian, but this is such a completely different path. 
I haven't chosen a magical name yet; I'll do that when my year and a day is up and I make my final dedication.  Nor have I chosen a patron Goddess and God.  I haven't had enough time to make that kind of decision.  I'm learning about various Gods and Goddesses, and I have ones that in some way I feel are calling to me, but of course to know for sure is going to take time.  I've been particularly drawn to Hecate lately, and as I closed my circle I noticed that the place I had chosen to use for my dedication was at a natural three way crossroads, just like in the picture on the side.  That was a nice surprise from the Goddess! 
There's no one I can share this with who wouldn't think it's a horrible thing or just wouldn't care, so I'm writing about it here. :flyingwitch:
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Congratulations on your journey! The spot by the river sounds like a lovely place to make your dedication.
moonlightsonata wrote: I've believed in hell for all those who don't practice the Catholic faith for 15 years and you can't just shake that off.  I don't think I would be concerned if I was still Christian,
this is my biggest beef with faiths that convince their congregations to believe in hell. They do not know. No one really knows, using fear to scare one into submission, in my opinion, is controlling and abusive.
Best of luck on your year and a day :fairy:
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Congratulations and blessings on your journey.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”