What made you want to learn about Wicca and/or Witchcraft?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Bychan Wulf

What made you want to learn about Wicca and/or Witchcraft?

Post by Bychan Wulf »

I was thinking...everybody had to start somewhere,so I'm curious: when did you,guys first hear about wicca or witchcraft and what made you want to learn more about them and eventually start practicing them?
:-)
"The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack" - Rudyard Kippling ⛤
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: What made you want to learn about Wicca and/or Witchcraf

Post by SpiritTalker »

I was intrigued by the promise of developing a relationship with Nature, as a living consciousness. I saw Wicca as a means to this end. I had no difficulty continuing the religion I was in, so I was not looking for a replacement, but for more ways to experience it. The Craft portion seems to be a way of expanding the parapsychology background I'd been envolved with as well. I believe that magical practice is a natural expression of the union with Nature. It is our fundamental connection to Deity.

We can do all sorts of little spells, but the premise these little steps represent is huge. learning the Craft is a very small endeavor but a very big leap in consciousness. So it's important, in the Hundredth Monkey sort of way.

And it's fun. :surprisedwitch:

Oh, and I'd first encountered WC in 1993, in my 30's.
Siona

Post by Siona »

I grew up in a very rural, heavily forested area, so the whole connecting to nature and celebrating the cycles of the sun and moon, the seasons, it was a major drawing point for me. I had also always been very interested in mythology, and I was so interested to see that there were people who still believed in, and honored these old gods and religions that I was being told were long dead in school.
Newbiewitch94
Banned Member

Post by Newbiewitch94 »

I'll be honest I first heard of Wicca through charmed and I'll be honest I didn't even realize it was a real religion at first however I researched it while attending catholic school as I'll be honest I hated the bible and to me it was a book of hypocrisy (like the bible calling Lucifer evil yet their god arguably does more evil than him) plus being a gay man I didn't fit in there. Then last year I randomly googled Wicca on YouTube and found a vlogger on there who did a fascinating series of videos for newbies to Wicca.
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

I might have been 13 or 14 at the time and the teens magazine I used to read used to have a page or two about paranormal phenomena, fortune telling and magic. I found it fascinating and searched for similar topics on the internet. That was around year 2001-2002 and I could only read articles in my native language. So you can guess I was able to find very little information. But I discovered the name Wicca and I did a couple of spells and cleansings. This didn't last long though, because I went to a boarding high school and forgot about the whole thing for several years.

I don't consider myself a wiccan now, but I like the idea of connecting with nature and spiritual freedom. I like that Wicca and neopaganism are like a Rorchach test and everyone seems to find what they need in it. In mainstream religion, there are mantinels of what is acceptable and what isn't.
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

I've always had extremely lucid dreams. And some that have come true. Since I was a child. And then during my labour, I had this OBE and none could explain to me why it happened, because it wasn't a near death experience, nothing of the sort.
So I started researching and one day I bought this magazine with a small book of spells in. It was nothing special, most of it was actually crap, but it did make me interested, so I started reading and reading, and reading and more reading. And the more I read, the more interested I became. I found sources on the internet and found few communities I liked. I learned a lot and there is still a whole world to learn.
lylamay

Post by lylamay »

I was always into law of attraction but found it hard to do, but I find doing the spells makes it easier to do and believe. So I read up about Wicca then realised it is a form of law of attraction and got into it from there. I love it now.
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

Hello, lylamay
Please go to the top section of the forum and introduce yourself. Thank you!
lapislazuli16

Post by lapislazuli16 »

When I was growing up I was forced to go to a southern baptist Christian school. I never remember Christianity feeling "right" to me. As I got older I realized that there was a Wiccan shop near my house so one day I walked in and I asked a ton of questions. The lady working there was very patient with me and I ended up feeling like I finally had found something that resonated with me. I eventually was kicked out of Christian school and began practicing my faith openly. This was a constant battle with my other family members. During college I kind of stopped believing in anything and considered myself an atheist. Then about a year after graduating college I slowly started practicing again. I always knew that I was missing something and I'm really glad that I found it again. Though there were times that I was not practicing I will say I never stopped using my tarot cards that has stuck with me since I was 13. It was odd because even when I was adamant that nothing existed I would never get rid of them. I'm really glad I didn't.
Bychan Wulf

Post by Bychan Wulf »

In my case, I started learning after watching the "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" series ( I was in the 4th grade). I related to Willow, the witch character,as we shared many aspects of personality. I could also experience "strange things"...and many. Because of that, I felt that there is more about me than a shy,creepy kid. I started with witchcraft, which scared me a little and then wicca as a religion. I wanted to be wiccan,but understood that this would not be accepted in my country or in my family. When I reached the "maturity age", I considered I am sure of what I want to do,of the karmic aspects and can assume what I do, and returned to practicing witchcraft.
So...I guess I'm an eclectic witch/shaman right now, as my belief system and practices are based on Wicca but adapted to my lifestyle.
Good part is that I celebrate Wiccan, important Christian and some pagan holidays! :-)
"The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack" - Rudyard Kippling ⛤
Silvana

Post by Silvana »

I too 1st learn about Wicca from Charmed TV series. I watched them when I was about 8 years old. I remember dropping everything, including games with other kids and running back in the house to see my show. It was awesome for me since I am an only child and the show had sisters with magic powers.
Later in my teens I was agnostic, and showed my dislike for the Orthodox Church conservative ways.
And now in my 20s I've rediscovered Wicca and I'm eager to learn more about it.
Aesiryth

Post by Aesiryth »

My aunt used to tell me about my great grandmother who was known as the "white witch" of the family. She told me stories about her all the time and my aunt and grandmother dabbled in witchcraft as well. I eventually got curious and did tons and tons of research. I've now been practicing witchcraft for almost 2 years now :)
"At the center of your being you have the answer;
You know who you are and what you want."

-Lao Tzu
Newbiewitch94
Banned Member

Post by Newbiewitch94 »

Silvanna wrote:I too 1st learn about Wicca from Charmed TV series. I watched them when I was about 8 years old. I remember dropping everything, including games with other kids and running back in the house to see my show. It was awesome for me since I am an only child and the show had sisters with magic powers.
Later in my teens I was agnostic, and showed my dislike for the Orthodox Church conservative ways.
And now in my 20s I've rediscovered Wicca and I'm eager to learn more about it.
That's one thing which always annoyed me with Charmed it made me wish I had sisters lol
Ethereal Moon Rose

Post by Ethereal Moon Rose »

Hmmm... I can't really pinpoint one thing. I always felt different growing up. I was always fascinated with witches and magic. I didn't grow up in an overly religious household- my dad is an ex Jehovas Witness and my mum is Anglican, but we never went to church on Sundays. I remember going to mass bible study with my dad a few times, but I chose to go with him.

I was obsessed with movies like The Craft and Practical Magic as a teen. I loved Charmed and Sabrin the teenage witch haha! My bff when I was 13 had books on Wicca and she let me borrow a couple to read and I was intrigued. From then on I considered myself Wiccan and the rest is history. I even remember starting a coven with a few close friends and we would go to the library together to study Wicca and witchcraft. I also remember going on picnics near the river, it was so much fun. Oh to be 14 again!

My path is more eclectic now but witchcraft intrigues me just the same.
AmberNectophilia

Post by AmberNectophilia »

My mother speaks about religion alot and told me that i should find out what i agree with do some research and i did i ended up finding an article abput whether or not paganism was satanism or not so i did my research and BAM here i am
I'm not insane, my sense of reality is different than yours. That took an unexpected turn. So did their neck

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”