Self dedication ritual

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Bychan Wulf

Self dedication ritual

Post by Bychan Wulf »

Hy! As I said in the preview post where I presented myself,I am ready to become a wiccan. I read many versions of the self dedication ritual,and I thought it would be best to ask you how you did it,so I can be sure I do it right. :D
"The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack" - Rudyard Kippling ⛤
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Self dedication ritual

Post by SpiritTalker »

Heh-heh. There is no one way, nobody's method is more or less correct than another. It's your personal rite, straight from the heart, dedication to what you perceive thus far on your path. But I understand the desire for that tiny bit of reassurance from others. And that being said, put your trust in that to which you will dedicate yourself for guidance.

For myself, nothing went "as planned" in my dedication. Any level headed person would have gone home and come back later. I had to let go the reins and ad lib. Before my dedication, I'd read up on the subject (this was before the Internet was around). I had scouted the local woodlands for my perfect location. I'd researched incense and made it from scratch. I'd acquired and consecrated a blade, my only tool besides a cereal bowl lined with sand on which to burn hot coals and incense. I'd written my prayers out on parchment paper, planning to read & then burn them as an offering. I made a special tunic to wear. And I'd picked my day...summer solstice, at noon. I took a vacation day from my job and headed into the woods.

I didn't plan on a major thunder and lightening storm precisely at noon. I was drenched in the rain, my tunic clung to me. My bare legs were mud splattered to the knee. My incense was useless in the downpour. The words of those handwritten prayers melted in the rain and the soggy parchment would never light a fire, if the wet matches had even sparked.

The only thing left was my athame. I stood barefoot and drenched, at the butt-end of a piece of steel in a thunder storm and made my dedication, from my soul, not from a piece of paper. At the exact moment
I called on my God, the thunder cracked and lightening snapped and sizzled. Missed me! :mrgreen: thankyouverymuch. I left my food offering. And very humbly went home to dry off. I found out later that the piece of MOLDAVITE I'd attached to the athame had fallen out in the woods, so an offering was taken even from my only tool.

So the first lesson I got was to let the Gods lead.
Bychan Wulf

Post by Bychan Wulf »

Wow! It sounds like a powerful and a little funny experience too. Thank you for sharing it with me.
I am forced to make my dedication really quiet and with few helpful items so I won'the freak out my strong christian believers parents. That's why I want to know if it can be done like that or do I have to wait untill I go to college so I can make a proper one? :-)
"The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack" - Rudyard Kippling ⛤
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

If you feel that your dedication is not proper, however you might define that, then wait until you feel you can put your heart and soul into the effort. Low key does not mean un-felt, and if your heart is ready then go for it. Just don't make a dedication because you are impatient. To my way of thinking, you are asking for human guidance because you are still unsure. That should be a clue to your heart. When you don't have to ask, but can trust, then you're ready. Time and place and gear won't matter.
Bychan Wulf

Post by Bychan Wulf »

That'sounds really inspiring. I'm my heart I feel that I'm ready to make this major step,the only thing that stays in my way is the idea of upsetting my parents by letting them find out. It's good that the next full moon is on the 14th,so I have some time to prepare for the dedication so I can make it satisfyingly for me a as well for the God I chose. blue_flee
Sinopa Oak

Post by Sinopa Oak »

Hi, I did my dedication recently, on the Summer Solstice. Mine was private and quiet too. The only tools I used were candles. Elements were represented with natural objects, I wrote out a heartfelt dedication in the morning and did the ritual at sundown, after honoring the solstice in little ways throughout the day. I think I ended up saying a lot more than I had written down, it was all very much, as SpiritTalker said, from the soul. Just let it flow.
As long as it is meaningful and you feel satisfied with it, your self-dedication will be right. :D
Good luck on your path!
Bychan Wulf

Post by Bychan Wulf »

Thank you for the advice! :-)

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”