Solitaries: why do you practice on your own?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
valerian moon

Solitaries: why do you practice on your own?

Post by valerian moon »

I'm curious as to why others practice solitary. I do it because nobody around me is Wiccan, my family is full of (open minded) Christians who let me have my religion, while they have theirs.
You may call me Valerian Moon, or simply Val.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Solitaries: why do you practice on your own?

Post by Firebird »

You're very fortunate to have an understanding family especially Christian ones. That must be nice.
I know when I was practicing alone it was because I didn't know any other pagans. Then I started hanging out at a metaphysical book store, where I evenually meet the woman who ran the group I am now running. She had passed 2001. Solitary is still great for personal worship or working spells, but to be able to raise energy with other like minded folks is a different experience altogether.
I couldn't imagine what it must be like for folks in the bible belt or who are so far removed distance wise from other people it makes it hard to find like mindeds.
Are you very remote where you live moonraver?

Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I'm solitary because I never learned to play well with others. In close quarters when the energy is raised, so are my hackles. The few local, open groups I've participated with were hostile if you didn't do "their" religion so I've never looked for a local coven. I'm not one thing or another.
Ethereal Moon Rose

Post by Ethereal Moon Rose »

I live in a remote Christian-oriented town, I don't know of any Pagans or Witches here.
smogie_michele

Post by smogie_michele »

I'm in the bible belt... Solitary is just easier.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

SpiritTalker wrote:I'm solitary because I never learned to play well with others. In close quarters when the energy is raised, so are my hackles. The few local, open groups I've participated with were hostile if you didn't "do" their religion so I've never looked for a local coven.
What she said.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Siona

Post by Siona »

I've worked with others and alone, and I just prefer working alone. It means I can work on what I want, when I want, follow the particular tradition I want, etc, all at the pace that works best for me. I also find comfort in being alone, and I am able to let go much, much more when I am alone, and get better results from my rituals. I might someday work in a group setting again, but for now it's just not what I'm looking for.
Katrinkah

Post by Katrinkah »

Like you I really don't know any Wiccans. But I have recently started going to a metaphysical/pagan shop. This weekend I actually got to go to a get together they had for Samhain, and actually met other pagans. Not really looking to join a coven just yet but I definitely want to socialize with others, especially for sabbaths. It's very resfreshing!
Charming

Post by Charming »

I'm just not a social person.
Now, to clarify, I'm not socially awkward, I'm just more of an introvert. Especially now that I'm older with kids, husband and a job... it's just easier to get things done on my own time.
Sinopa Oak

Post by Sinopa Oak »

I practice as a solitary firstly because I'm in the broom closet and I don't know any other witches/pagans, partly because I live in a rural area and go to a strict enough catholic convent school.(of recently, religion class has been subtly on why you wouldn't like to be a part of any religion except Christianity)
There also isn't a lot of understanding of these kinds of paths around here. I'm very hesitant to tell anyone because I think they would misunderstand, since the knowledge of these spiritual ideas and of course, of witchcraft, just isn't widespread.

Even the possibility of coven work will have to wait a few years, until I move to the capital for university. It would be something I'd like to try. It would be a good kind of different to meet with like-minded people in person.
Also, I think I just like working as a solitary. I decide when and how I do things, and my rituals can be as planned or as impromptu as I like. For me at this point in my life, being a solitary is fulfilling and what works best for me. :D
Deerstep

Post by Deerstep »

Largely because I live in a rather conservative, low population, Xtian-heavy area that would look at me like I'm a psycho if they knew how I really felt about life. :flyingwitch:

Not many people of the magickal persuasion here. :( That, and I've always found my finest personal moments with the Divine when I was totally alone.
"You're mad, bonkers, completely off your head. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are." ~Lewis Carroll
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

I live in a country where nobody openly admits they are witches - if you do, people would either fear you, or think you are insane.
So when I started my path, I had to rely on internet sources mainly. I also had no idea what path I should follow and it wasn't until few years later that I did. At that time, I had been solitary for quite a while, so I didn't really feel like I could join a coven anymore and I wouldn't feel right doing so.

Today I would probably try and join a coven of eclectic witches who follow different paths if I could find one. I have worked with others on occasion and it feels great to share energy with people you trust.
TwilightDancer

Post by TwilightDancer »

When I first started out I had two friends that I would cast with. It didn't last long. It became too much of a hassle to do anything together since we were all in the broom closet at the time. We all went solitary and I've enjoyed being able to do things on my terms.

I doubt I'd ever officially join another coven. :evilwitch:
Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows
Mr Crowley
Banned Member

Post by Mr Crowley »

Doesn't play well with others seems to be a common thread!

Even so, long ago, I looked into groups because I was curious. All groups were email contact only, of course. Resumes seemed tacky, so I sent neutral, generic requests; none ever replied. I speculated that, possibly, my requests were viewed as jokes.

Regardless, I cannot envision “group practice,” and I have strong vision, but that's just me. Now I have the opportunity to ask a lifelong, unanswered question: What do non-religious groups do? I know that they work, but what is their by-product?
Newbiewitch94
Banned Member

Post by Newbiewitch94 »

I'm solitary due to not knowing any other wiccans or pagans and to be honest I have anxiety issues and if I was in a group I'd feel like I'm constantly being judged. Plus with having ADHD my mind gets so scattered that at times I have to wait 2 or 3 weeks until my mind is calm enough to even be able to meditate and ground myself.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”