Your spell preparation "routine"

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Bstnactrs

Your spell preparation "routine"

Post by Bstnactrs »

Hi all,

Just wondering what kinds of things everyone does to prepare for their spellcasting - when they do spells.

Do you take a ritual bath, meditate, banish, listen to music, call the quarters?

Are there certain things you feel should be done / are necessary?

Just curious as to what others are doing.

I, myself, just cast my circle & then center myself for a while before beginning although, I am considering possibly listening to one of my meditation cd's beforehand in the future.

Stasia
AnuChild

Post by AnuChild »

I usually bathe and meditate before doing any kind of ritual, spellcraft or otherwise (like celebrating Imbolc). That way I cleanse my body and my mind. It is my belief that in spell casting I enter a sacred space - even without the invocation of the gods, it is sacred. Also, it rids me of outside influences so I can have more focus.

However, I'm not Wiccan as such, so my belief system may not match yours.
Come, heart, where hill is heaped upon hill:
For there the mystical brotherhood
Of sun and moon and hollow and wood
And river and stream work out their will.

W. B. Yeats, Into the Twilight
Moon_Stone

Post by Moon_Stone »

Hi Stasia- good question!

I don't do the bathing thing (mainly because it actually annoys me more to think of the cleaning and such that always needs to be done in my bathroom (nine year old daughter)...) so I usually just get my incense out and meditate in the center of my floor. (If the meditating doesn't work, and sometimes it doesn't for me, I cleanse my aura instead- really anything that helps me focus).

Once I'm centered enough, I call the quarters, cast my circle and get started. I have tried music, but I actually find that it can be distracting sometimes when trying to focus- on the other hand if you need to "wind down", it does wonders. Thanks for asking! :28:

~BB~
Skylights

Post by Skylights »

I usually like to take a bath or shower before any rituals or spells, but if it's not possible, I find a little salt water on the Third Eye works fairly well.

One thing I always do before I get started: DOUBLE-CHECK!!! I'm so forgetful, I have to make extra-sure all my supplies and whatnot are in my circle area. Nothing is more annoying than having to stop and pop out of my circle to grab something I forgot.
[color=blue]*Skylights*[/color]

[color=green][i]"So if you don't rate,
just over-compensate...
The world loves wannabes,
so, hey hey, do that brand new thing."[/i][/color]
Bstnactrs

Post by Bstnactrs »

LOl Skylights,

That is why I write out everything beforehand - and I mean everything!!!! I make a list of what I need & then I write out what I am going to do in what order & then the ritual itself. I find this helps me not only to remember but sometimes I go over it a few times & come up with better spells or different supplies / tools to use during. It probably seems a little too organized but like you, I would forget something and I do not want to have to be distracted & break my focus during a spell.

Stasia
Skylights

Post by Skylights »

That sounds exactly like me! I have to write out supplies, method, what I'm going to use for cakes and ale... I also try to keep a lighter in my pokcet while I'm setting up. That way, if I forget, I'm still set.
[color=blue]*Skylights*[/color]

[color=green][i]"So if you don't rate,
just over-compensate...
The world loves wannabes,
so, hey hey, do that brand new thing."[/i][/color]
ecb

Post by ecb »

Depending on how ... ... hard, deep, involved the Magic work is, I take a shower, or just straighten up my room, or spend the day being healthy and clean. If I shower Immediatly before, I wash my body with clean water, no heavy perfumes etc. I even go so far as to eat healthy foods all day, and before I work at my Alter (such as it is) I cleanse my Hands.

salt in oil is good for your skin and protects you from any potential inter-action with the herbs, chrystals, etc.

its a "trick" I learned in High School, and learned to work with after I saw someone get a rash from a Stone they were working with
JMHO

ecb
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Your spell preparation "routine"

Post by SpiritTalker »

Old post
Bstnactrs wrote: Thu May 11, 2006 7:27 am Hi all,

Just wondering what kinds of things everyone does to prepare for their spellcasting - when they do spells. Do you take a ritual bath, meditate, banish, listen to music, call the quarters?
Are there certain things you feel should be done / are necessary?
Just curious as to what others are doing.

I, myself, just cast my circle & then center myself for a while before beginning although, I am considering possibly listening to one of my meditation cd's beforehand in the future.

Stasia
I bird-bath at the sink to get refreshed and change my grubby shirt if it’s in such a state. When my shirt’s clean I feel presentable. I’m barefoot 24/7 indoors.

I don’t usually cast a full circle for spells any more, although I did so for 15 years. Still, If I want the benefits of the fully cast circle and wish to be in communion with the Divine Pattern, I’ll use the full ritual structure - Consecrating, circle casting, quarter calling, divine invoking, thanking & dismissing - to put me in the zone, but I use a no fuss circle ritual anyways.

Grounding, centering & raising power (at the appropriate time) are must-do’s. I can envision that I‘ve stepped into sacred space between like stepping thru the TV Star Gate portal pool. I’m fairly convinced such things actually exist but are square and surrounded by polished, black basalt 18” thick because it always appears that way in my head on its own so I just go along. For spells now-a-days I see-in-mind a spiral of energy encircling me. I think it, feel it, say it, and let it go. As I was told in a dream years ago, a circle is a state of mind but we go thru the motions until we can hold the thought. Some days my head is full of peanut butter and going thru the motions is absolutely necessary.

My altar’s on a corner shelf. I usually stand right there facing north, or can pull up a chair that’s near by. Everything I need is stored right there on a small book shelf.

At full moons I take a lawn chair outside & do my communing there, weather permitting.

I seldom willingly listen to music because most of it grates on my last nerve.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”