Are attraction spells manipulative?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Binglian

Are attraction spells manipulative?

Post by Binglian »

Hello everyone. I recently did a spell that is similar to a honey jar spell, which is to make the people around you nicer to you. I don't have any targets, and I'm not focusing on any specific person, I only wanted to make people around me sweeter to me, more accepting of me for who I am. I have no evil attention and does not want to harm anyone. I am really nice to ANYONE, and I tried to help people as much as I could, so it is not just a one sided thing.

However, as the spell is working as it should, I started to get worried. I am not sure whether this is considered manipulative or not. And I do know that all magick is a form of manipulation, but I am not talking about that kind of manipulation, I am talking about the evil kind of manipulation that goes against people's wills. I feel like they are not being nice to me because they like me, but rather, because I had casted a spell on them and forces them to be nice to me. This makes me feel extremely guilty and unsettling. I don't know if I should continue the spell or not.

Could anyone clarify my problem please?

Thank you
corvidus

Re: Attraction spell are manipulative?

Post by corvidus »

Hi :)

I think you answered your own question in your first post.
Not that you're being manipulative, but that it's actually pretty easy to be friendly and make friends.
smogie_michele

Re: Attraction spell are manipulative?

Post by smogie_michele »

From my point of view, when you cast a spell like this you aren't manipulating someone else to be nice to you, you are manipulating YOURSELF so that you are open to receive the kindness. :)

My best advice would be to follow your gut- what do you really think is going on here?
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
Kassandra

Re: Are attraction spells manipulative?

Post by Kassandra »

Binglian wrote: all magick is a form of manipulation
Indeed. A peaceful relations-type spell as you've done is, to me, a gentle form of a genre of spells some call command spells or command work (other genres might include cursings, petitionings, etc.). Command spells basically say, "I want this to be like that," or otherwise willing something to happen in no uncertain terms. I guess you could say healing spells, another genre, are a subset of command spells. We could split hairs on this all day, lol.

No matter how you slice it, any spell work is in essence manifesting one's will in one's outer world. Both "manipulation" and "manifestation" have the same root: "man-," as in manual labor ...all of which imply doing, working, because man- is a Latin root word, meaning “hand.” So we have manicures, and we write manuscripts (which used to be written by hand long ago), and so on.

And it's no coincidence a spell is also called a working. It is a kind of manual labor, where one is working the energy of one's surroundings via various tools (if only the tool of intention, still a tool) according to the dictates of one's will, one's ideations. One brings one's ideations from within the mind, the realm of ideas, outwardly to a realm of a denser sort, where thoughts become things, where the holographic becomes tangible to others, affects others, brings about change however great or small.

If you'd placed a bouquet of beautiful, scented flowers in the middle of a room at work, and others stopped to admire them throughout the day, and commented on how much they enjoyed the fragrance, and it brought a pleasant sensation to their awareness if only for a moment, have you manipulated everyone, or were you one of the causal factors which brought other sentient beings pleasure and upliftment? Could it be both?

Was the spell you did a causal factor in creating harmony and peaceable relations between people (and one of those people happened to be you)? And what if you augmented that spell to include everyone on a planetary level, and what if all readers of this post joined in on that spell? Would we be manipulators of circumstances ...and would we actually be causal factors of world peace?

So if magicians are causal factors of change, would it be the intention behind their energy manipulation that truly matters?

Binglian

Post by Binglian »

Kassandra wrote:
So if magicians are causal factors of change, would it be the intention behind their energy manipulation that truly matters?

Wow, thanks everyone for your kind answers! It actually opened up my eyes as I never thought of spell that way! It is indeed very cool. I guess since all magick is a form of manipulation, it really depends on what kind of magick we used because not all "manipulation" are the same just as not all magick are the same. :D

I do agree that maybe whatever we do, it is all considered as a form of manipulation. All of our actions are connected to others whether we intended or not. Not just the magicians are causal factors of change, but maybe human themselves are causal factors of change to eachother? I guess that maybe our intention behind the works are what truly matters, as even ill intentions behind good deeds are going to eventually corrupt the actions. I guess since I have no ill intentions toward anyone, including myself, I'm not doing any harm, but rather just being a causal factors of changes.
Newbiewitch94
Banned Member

Post by Newbiewitch94 »

It depends on why you're doing the attraction spell. A lot of stuff in witchcraft can appear shady until you realise that your intention shapes the spell.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Newbiewitch94 wrote:A lot of stuff in witchcraft can appear shady until you realise that your intention shapes the spell.
Perhaps the opposite is true, as well...that a lot of stuff in witchcraft can appear benevolent, can be gift wrapped in spiritual doublespeak, expressed as though all about "love" and light, until the true, darker, usually quite selfish motives are sussed out.

I appreciate that Binglian is always self-examining with magical intention. Many witches aren't.

Newbiewitch94
Banned Member

Post by Newbiewitch94 »

Kassandra wrote:
Newbiewitch94 wrote:A lot of stuff in witchcraft can appear shady until you realise that your intention shapes the spell.
Perhaps the opposite is true, as well...that a lot of stuff in witchcraft can appear benevolent, can be gift wrapped in spiritual doublespeak, expressed as though all about "love" and light, until the true, darker, usually quite selfish motives are sussed out.

I appreciate that Binglian is always self-examining with magical intention. Many witches aren't.
Very true
I guess what i mean is as long as the spell doesn't cause harm or violate free will then there is nothing wrong with a selfish spell as being the kind of person to put others first is all well and good however it can also be good to be selfish.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Indeed.

Binglian

Post by Binglian »

I can say that all my intentions are pure and I never try to force anyone or cause any harms. And I guess if that's true, there is no harm in doing any spells since all spells are a manipulation, and we wouldn't be doing any spells if any form of manipulation are consider evil when in fact, no evil intentions are used.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”