Out of the broom closet at work.

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
HopefulChild

Out of the broom closet at work.

Post by HopefulChild »

The new job I have gives me ample time during the day between calls.
I could do many things. And we aren't restricted much. Like using these forums, or facebook, and private email.

The other option would be for me to bring my tarot cards and do some spreads.
3 concerns.
How likely is it that I'll create an uncomfortable situation in the workplace for devouts who see tarot as evil?

How likely is it that I'll put myself in a situation to be ostracised by my coworkers because my faith is witchy?

How likely is it that people will start badgering me for free tarot readings and then be unhappy when I say no, or worse, unhappy with a reading I'm willing to do?

I already filled my dry erase boards with symbols and glyphs that make me comfortable.
No one has seemed too interested in those. So I feel like it's a good sign.
Kassandra

Re: Out of the broom closet at work.

Post by Kassandra »

Most likely, all three will happen, as none is mutually exclusive of the others. It seems you've answered your own questions, lol. Don't act surprised when these things, and more, do happen...you already knew they would, going in.

Me? I believe in keeping my private life private.

But, to each his own.

The best.

Katrinkah

Post by Katrinkah »

Hmmm, that all depends on the types of people your working with. Are you in a stuffy corporate setting? Or a more creative open minded setting? Are the religious views of your co-workers super obvious? Any really preachy Christians? I live in Texas and their are a lot of conservative Christians so I am in the broom closet unfortunately. But I am pretty open about reading tarot. I mean I don't advertise it but if it comes up I would mention it. Depending on who I am talking to I guess. Most the people around me know I'm kinda weird anyway though. Lol.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

If you bring snacks to share with the office, you make friends.

Only you can discern the environment. If you see any religious jewelry being worn, sound out the wearer. My friend wore her cross all the time and still gave readings at her office at IBM corporate HQ, while my sister worked in a travel agency where they tried to convert her. Go figure.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

When I worked at a Seventh Day Adventist hospital, I used to bring in food for the Sabats and Esbats. I think working night shift made that easier, but food is usually a good icebreaker. I never made any secret about my spirituality. I was fortunate enough to have coworkers who were interested in learning.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

I think I've mentioned this before, when my boss figured out I was a witch, he badgerd me unrelentlessly day in and day out, even outing me to cutomers in the shop (I'm a florist) it was very uncomfortable, and I know we lost custmers over it, though I'm not sure if it's because be was telling random people stuff they didn't need to know or if it was because of his incredibly abusive overall demeanor. I had already worked there for 12 years before he bought the place. He also used to play the 10 Commandments on the computer (that was also our p.o.s. system) at least once a week if not more, among other biblical documentary which was at least historically interesting, but dang...after 3 years of that kind of stuff, plus he was always yelling, had to quit.

It's really your call. There will be some who don't care, some who will show interest, and those that will want to save you, and those that will run away. Every now and then there will be gem who will understand because they are on the same path :D

Are you doing these readings at the bar? I'm not sure what your new job was.
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

A pretty good assortment:

1. some who don't care
2. some who will show interest
3. those that will want to save you
4. those that will run away
5. the gems who understand because they are on the same path

...I take it you've encountered all of the above, firebirdflys, as that sounded like a very "knowing" response. :wink:

Oakheart

Post by Oakheart »

My coworkers found out about my spiritual inclinations, for lack of a better phrase, quite awhile ago. I don't openly flaunt my beliefs, as we all know that's annoying; however, I also make no great strides to hide such a major part of my identity, because I'm not ashamed of who/what I am. In my personal experience, there hasn't been a negative backlash. And a few people have asked me to do a Tarot spread for them, which has not been problematic in the least. My suggestion is simply not to flaunt it, but also not to hide who/what you are.
Student of Rosicrucianism, Neoplatonism & Hermetic Kabbalah.
HopefulChild

Post by HopefulChild »

My wife keeps giving me bags of snacks to take to work. So I do.
She's awesome like that.

I'll hold off on the tarot for awhile. I work in a resoundingly non-religious group. Mostly 20 something guys who play video games non stop when they aren't at work. They are at best apathetic atheists.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Ha ha...well if they are apathetic it should probably be ok then! But yeah maybe after you have been there a bit longer.
I think symbols on your desk and what not should be ok though. Lots of other people do such a thing yet don't really speak of their religious beliefs at work. Still you could have power symbols or small statuary of totem animal and whatnot. Sort of a mini altar. Perphas some day one of the guys will be curious and ask for reading.

Yep miss Kass I have seen every kind if response. The one that pissed me off the most was the woman who tried to save me after I had just been screamed at by my boss, I just needed a minute alone, her timing was terrible, when I declined to be prayed over she wouldn't hear of it...she squatted down in front of me (I was sitting on the curb) and called on Jesus....ACK why don't people listen? The most common is people don't care or at least their not talking about it if they do. That's been my approach when dealing with religion I don't care for, ...if I don't have anything nice to say I don't say anything. I don't mind the curious ones...That's how one learns!
Best of luck in your workplace Hopeful!
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Atalanta

Post by Atalanta »

I was outed from the Broom Closet by a co-worker of mine. We had had conversations about it when we commuted to work together, he's an atheist. It was in October and he was trying to be respectful so he blurted out in front of everyone that I was a witch so it would be rude to put up Halloween decorations with witches in them. I don't think anyone particularly cares, everyone knows I read Tarot and are used to seeing them on my desk. Hopefully your workplace is as mellow as mine.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”