Physical side effects of magick

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
WiccanWitch

Physical side effects of magick

Post by WiccanWitch »

So I partook in my first work of magick the other night. It was done with 3 experienced witches, myself and my daughter who are students. We charged a crystal with requests for healing, then raised a "cone of power" and directed it into the crystal. We were sitting on the floor when we did this, holding our hands with right up to receive energy and left down to give it, etc. I can't get too detailed but I can say I felt some anxiety prior.to the spell but felt ok when we got started.

Anyway after that we took about an hour to drive home. My arms were weak, shaky, kinda sore. Felt like I had just done curls until my biceps gave out. That feeling persisted until morning and my legs also felt fatigued and I was extremely tired most of the day. I felt OK by the afternoon.

They had warned me not to try to hold onto the energy for myself. I don't think I did. Certainly not consciously. But symptoms they described were nothing like this.

I told this to my teacher and she was concerned and surprised. Said she had never heard of that happening before. I did some reading and people talk about feeling drained and fatigued and the suggestions were over exertion.

Any thoughts?
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Physical side effects of magick

Post by SpiritTalker »

Were you tense-nervous so that your muscles were clenched? Or when you sent the energy, were you clenching? I experienced the tremble-fatigue a couple of times. After a night's sleep I was fine. It's sort of residual high-anticipation and anxiety. Did the group eat after wards? If not, bring some fruit next visit. Try some stretches afterwards, too.

Did they explain why right-hand was to receive, and left to send? Just curious 'cuz I learned the opposite.
WiccanWitch

Post by WiccanWitch »

I didn't feel that I was. Usually if I'm tense I hold that in my neck and shoulders
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

Energy flows through us along similar, if not the same, channels as the nervous system. So to 'feel' fatigued even though you were just sitting there is natural. I bet there's a possibility that you're also detoxifying a bit as well.

When our etheric/astral/mental energy starts moving again after being sluggish, this causes our physical energy to start moving again as well. When our physical energy starts moving, we get fresh blood, oxygen and nutrients in exchange for toxins to be eliminated from the system.

Same goes for our energy bodies. Fresh energy in, dirty and toxic energy out. Which can be fatiguing ;)
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

The hands thing is subjective, generally speaking left hand recieves and right hand projects but that is if you are right handed. Some say if you are left handed its the other way around, but that would mean your brain hemispheres are switched also and I'm not sure that is the case. I would do a little experimenting with sensing which is your projection hand. The fatigue you experienced sounds like an energy drain which may be in part because the flow was wrong for you. Additionally it sounds like you really gave it your all, including your personal energy reserve. When channeling energy we are merly the conduit for that energy to run. The energy is universal and flows all around us every day, only a small dab of our own energy should or even needs to go into work like this, and there is really nothing wrong with saving a bit to put back into yourself.
I wonder also, did you guys do a grounding afterwards? By getting onto the earth we can release any built up energy This helps too close off the channel and let us get back in touch with our bodies.This is extreemly important to avoid feeling disheveled afterwards. Food as Spirit Talker mentioned is another way to ground. Especially with foods that are root-like such as potatoes and carrots.
Hope you are feeling better.
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Sounds like you weren't taught to ground after workings. If not, learn to do it on your own for self care.

Good points about the right hand/brain left hand/brain firebirdflys makes.

Peace.

WiccanWitch

Post by WiccanWitch »

Ok thank you all. Some things to consider.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

I agree -- I would say this means you need to work on grounding after a ritual. The other members of my coven and I have found that often after raising energy, we'll feel jittery, shaky, excited, etc. Many of us have trouble falling asleep later that night. When you're working with a lot of energy, it's common to feel really energized and then very tired afterwards. Grounding is really important for helping level yourself out after a ritual and get to a more stable energy level. You can do something like cakes and ale, or touch the ground and release the excess energy back to the earth.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
WiccanWitch

Post by WiccanWitch »

Yes they said if I didn't let the energy go that's how I'd feel. I have often felt I give energy at my own expense as a healer and empath. So I may need to take extra care learning how to protect myself in making sure I am helping conduct energy not siphoning from myself.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

You can realign yourself too, with any variation of centering your spirit into your body. Stand facing north and imagine a line of rosy light running north-south right through you, then another east-west. Complete it with a third from above your head down past your feet. Say something like" this completes me". It stabilizes you in the 3-D and present time.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”