Spells for an *ahem* Atheist?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
corvidus

Re: Spells for an *ahem* Atheist?

Post by corvidus »

Everyone has their own theories, but I do like thinking about it.
Dr_Sir wrote: With the theory of abiogenesis in mind, life came from a "soup" of bits and bobs that where most definitely not alive. I very much subscribe to this idea. because if life needs to come from life....where did the first life come from? there is a huge hole in the argument for the law of bio-genesis .
I hate to say it, but the theories of modern science are much further behind than traditional alchemical knowledge. It would be worth looking into, as it is a very good occult science ;)
Dr_Sir

Post by Dr_Sir »

Wikipedia wrote:The Ancient Greeks believed that living things could spontaneously come into being from nonliving matter
oh ryly? XD
missionaries dismiss me for my single epiphany
The diff between him and me is a simple sip of British Tea!
So when times are hard and life is rough,
You can stick the kettle on and find me a cup
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

Dr_Sir wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:The Ancient Greeks believed that living things could spontaneously come into being from nonliving matter
oh ryly? XD
Yeah, hence primordial chaos, the void, nothingness, etc.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

Ancient Greece is certainly not the traditional alchemical knowledge I was referring to.
Dr_Sir

Post by Dr_Sir »

corvidus wrote:Ancient Greece is certainly not the traditional alchemical knowledge I was referring to.

then please provide me with the knowledge you where referring to!
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

Here are some of the pieces to that greater puzzle, which no one person or modern theory has been able to encapsulate:

Golden Chain of Homer
The New Chemical Light, Sendivogius
The True and Natural Path of Hermes Trismagestus
Chemical Moonshine

Enjoy!
Dr_Sir

Post by Dr_Sir »

corvidus wrote:Here are some of the pieces to that greater puzzle, which no one person or modern theory has been able to encapsulate:

Golden Chain of Homer
The New Chemical Light, Sendivogius
The True and Natural Path of Hermes Trismagestus
Chemical Moonshine

Enjoy!
I shall commence reading immediately!
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

Kool. I think you'll like them.

Also, Centrum Naturae Concentratum. But that one might be hard to find.
Shekinah

Post by Shekinah »

Be cautious with spells. We become liable for interfering with the affairs of others and we are not wise enough to see into the far distant future to determine what long term effects our spell casting will cause.
Truth and Reality are highly guarded secrets. Nothing is as it appears. "The ONENESS sleeps in the stone, breathes in the plant, dreams in the animal and awakens in man" (Indian proverb)
Dr_Sir

Post by Dr_Sir »

Shekinah wrote:Be cautious with spells. We become liable for interfering with the affairs of others and we are not wise enough to see into the far distant future to determine what long term effects our spell casting will cause.
I'll bear that in mind. I won't be practicing for a while because I don't feel confident in spell craft for the very reason you mentioned.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

You can start with something very simple. Maybe visualize finding a particular item on the ground.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
WiccanWitch

Post by WiccanWitch »

The origins of life is interest and what is life exactly? Science has an answer for it but then if you consider the traits something must have to be considered alive a fire would certainly qualify but it is not in the eyes of science considered living.

And a virus does not necessarily meet the requirements of life yet a virus can be "live or dead". This is just from a scientific stand point.

There are theories about how this primordial soup gave way to amino acids that became proteins that become something more. At what point does life begin?

A thought on proteins Madcow disease is caused by a protein called a prion with "contagious" capabilities but it is not considered alive.

Either way something or someone had to tip the first domino to start this magical cascade of events from chaos or not that gave birth to life as we know it.
HopefulChild

Post by HopefulChild »

Hi Dr_Sir.
I'm tempted to call you Mr_Sir until your Doctoral accreditation can be verified, but since it's a moniker I'll control myself. :-)

You might want to read up on Sigil Magic. There are several threads on this forum where it is discussed. The newest incarnation of sigil magic is essentially a one shot manifest will motor. It removes any requirement to deity by using a linear process consolidation and release model.

Here are a few threads you may be interested in for these forums as well.
http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 22242.html

http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 26933.html

http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... ilit=sigil

http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... il#p237774
Dr_Sir

Post by Dr_Sir »

WiccanWitch wrote: Either way something or someone had to tip the first domino to start this magical cascade of events from chaos or not that gave birth to life as we know it.
Then were did that someone or something come from? this is the argument that ends in stale mate of every single thread involving the creation of life.

there is and (in my opinion) never will be an answer. but (excuse my bluntness here) i'm far more willing to say I don't know, rather than claim a magical invisible being snapped its fingers and POW! the universe just existed all of a sudden, can order come from chaos? something from nothing?

I am not qualified to answer those questions, nor will I ever be because i'm no philosopher.

but if we are going to claim someone or something created the universe, I want some evidence...and the bible or koran is NOT evidence, any holy book or human recording of divinity is bias, eye witness testimony is undisputedly inaccurate and therefore cannot be used as evidence.

lets not forget that science provides evidence and can admit that it does not know everything, that's why science exists, to discover, to gain knowledge. not to say "because god" I'm much more of a fan of having evidence to back up my understanding than making stuff up.

anyway, rant over, sorry if I caused offence. my beliefs are not based on the creation of the universe because i accept no one knows, or ever will for sure, so I'm more focused on life and how it is sustained rather than how it was created in the first place

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”