The pentagram

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Dr_Sir

The pentagram

Post by Dr_Sir »

So I'm developing my knowledge of Pagan symbols. I have finished the wheel of the year (sabbats esbats and the general focus) and I'm moving onto the pentagram, I know it represents the 5 elements, but is there more to it than that?

also any other symbols I should look into? (the triquetra, Zodiac etc)?

Blessings :D
missionaries dismiss me for my single epiphany
The diff between him and me is a simple sip of British Tea!
So when times are hard and life is rough,
You can stick the kettle on and find me a cup
Lord_of_Nightmares

Re: The pentagram

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

It means many things in many culture and to different people. Some Christians used it as the five wounds of Christ, Math nerds like it's mathematical implications, it's associations with Pythagoras, I read it was once a symbol of Ishtar but have not seen academic evidence for it, (She was more about the eight pointed star.) Satanists use it as the goat whose horns attack heaven, the Chinese use it for their own elemental system, some occultist use it to symbolize mankind, the Sumerians I think used it for the winds, and so forth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentagram
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
Dr_Sir

Post by Dr_Sir »

Ah, I forgot about wikipedia

Thank-you!
Fae

Post by Fae »

Lady_Lilith wrote:It means many things in many culture and to different people. Some Christians used it as the five wounds of Christ, Math nerds like it's mathematical implications, it's associations with Pythagoras, I read it was once a symbol of Ishtar but have not seen academic evidence for it, (She was more about the eight pointed star.) Satanists use it as the goat whose horns attack heaven, the Chinese use it for their own elemental system, some occultist use it to symbolize mankind, the Sumerians I think used it for the winds, and so forth.

Saw this post and I just wanted to chime in here that you are incredibly knowledgeable, and have seriously given out some of the best info I've come across. Thanks for that, even though it wasn't my question.
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

Fae wrote:
Lady_Lilith wrote:It means many things in many culture and to different people. Some Christians used it as the five wounds of Christ, Math nerds like it's mathematical implications, it's associations with Pythagoras, I read it was once a symbol of Ishtar but have not seen academic evidence for it, (She was more about the eight pointed star.) Satanists use it as the goat whose horns attack heaven, the Chinese use it for their own elemental system, some occultist use it to symbolize mankind, the Sumerians I think used it for the winds, and so forth.

Saw this post and I just wanted to chime in here that you are incredibly knowledgeable, and have seriously given out some of the best info I've come across. Thanks for that, even though it wasn't my question.
Thanks. :oops: it is just stuff I pieced together over the years.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
Lux

Post by Lux »

I actually did a paper in college about the christian meaning of the pentagram. Apparently Constantine was going to put it on his shield, but then decided on the cross. I've also heard of it representing feminine beauty due to it's connection with mathematical calculations, but I can't remember where I read that form.
Dr_Sir

Post by Dr_Sir »

I'll take a look :)
Raevyn

Post by Raevyn »

Dr_Sir wrote: I know it represents the 5 elements, but is there more to it than that?
Actually, I've been learning about the Pentagram myself and one of the confusing things about it is the order in which the elements occur. Obviously the top of the star is a representation of 'spirit' but the 'arms' of the star (so to say), whether the left is water and right air, or left air and right water (I've seen it done both ways!) And same as the bottom left and right of the star. It's confusing because it seems no one can agree, but what I noticed in general is that the left and right arms will always be either air or water, and the bottom 'legs' of the star are always earth and fire. But it does seem they are inter-changable somewhat.
Ethereal Moon Rose

Post by Ethereal Moon Rose »

^From what I've learnt, the elements are in order of density. And the circle represents unity of the elements.
Raevyn

Post by Raevyn »

Ethereal Moon Rose wrote:^From what I've learnt, the elements are in order of density. And the circle represents unity of the elements.
Can you elaborate on that a little more? For example I usually see it (in a clockwise direction) Spirit>Water>Fire>Earth>Air
Can you elaborate and explain the positioning if it were to be in order of density? I haven't seen it done like that before, but I'm always looking for new things to learn :)
Ethereal Moon Rose

Post by Ethereal Moon Rose »

Sure [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

There are 5 elements in total and 4 are made up of matter. Spirit being the 'most' important.

When drawing a pentagram you start at spirit (least dense), and then go to fire, air, water then earth (most dense), ending back at spirit.

Fire and Earth are fixed whereas water and air flow.
Raevyn

Post by Raevyn »

That's an interesting concept, thanks for sharing Ethereal :)
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Post by Seraphin »

In addition to what Ethereal said, the five points of the upright pentagram symbolize the power of Spirit (the topmost point) is superior over the four Elements of Earth, Air, Fire and Water (the material world). In this symbolism, it represents the belief of many Right Hand traditions in Spirit transcending the flesh - transcending material desires and the Self. People following this path are thus believe that oneness with the spiritual plane have to attained to fully experience ascencion and perfection.

In the inverted pentagram, we will get an opposite meaning. The five points of the inverted pentagram symbolize the power of the four Elements (the material world) in dominion over the power of Spirit (now the bottommost point). In this configuration, it represents the belief of those who follow the Left Hand Paths in the material world being a place of importance and idulgence to achieve balance and true happiness which can be had in this plane.
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Mathematically a pentagram represents Nature’s template called Golden Ration - the same pi ratio of the 5-point Star in a circle is observed in the orbits of the inner planets in the solar system, in the 5-lobed, 8-year path of Venus as seen from Earth in their nearest and furthest approaches to each other, distribution of seeds in sunflowers 🌻 & others, placement of branches on coniferous trees, seashells etc.
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

Lots of complex ideas have been projected onto the pentagram. I don't discount any of them. The study of symbolism is however almost study within simplification. The Pentacle however deserves proper consideration.

I would hazard, It's a two dimensional representation of a very familiar three dimensional model.

The circle (the sacred enclosure), the square (containing the four physical - structural - traditional Greek elements) and the 'cone of power'; Aristotles aether or quintessence. The upward cone is projected outward into the universe, the downward cone is projected inward to the individual.

It's a magic circle.

-------

To know, to will, to dare, to keep silent; to go.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”