Spell/ritual interrupted, and your beliefs on it

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Fae

Spell/ritual interrupted, and your beliefs on it

Post by Fae »

Hi everyone, so a bit of background for my own situation here...

I have never been interrupted before during any sort of spell or ritual, and it has always been my personal belief that if you are interrupted, that whatever you were doing wasn't meant to be, and it was the universe's way of telling you.

With that being said, I'll try and make this as uncomplicated as possible. I've never really thought about classifying this as either a spell or ritual, but I guess it could sort of be both. After every break up of a meaningful relationship, I've done this, sort of as a way to help myself say goodbye and get some closure. I write a letter, communicate with my deity, and then burn it. I've always viewed this as an offering of sorts, and a way to move on. It's always worked for me, and I decided it was time to try it again.

Seven months ago a man that used to be one of my best friends and I reconnected and decided to give a romantic relationship a shot. Things were great at first, but over time I felt there was something holding him back. He recently admitted he still had feelings for his ex, and he brought up some mental/emotional issues. We talked for a bit and parted ways, with no contact at least for a while. I gave myself a few weeks to process, and decided the winter full moon a few days ago would be the perfect time for my new beginning and to heal from what I feel is a huge betrayal and hurt. It's obviously more complex than just that, but i won't bore you guys with all the sad details.

Typically I write a letter to said person, saying goodbye, talking about the good and bad times, wishing them happiness in the future, etc. I went outside and lit my candle and started communicating with my deity. I was drawn to a different area of the property than usual, but went with it. Just as I was about to burn the letter I heard something behind me. I have no idea why, but I dropped the letter (which thankfully wasn't on fire), grabbed my candle, and hid(lol, I'm an adult, right?).

As it turns out, it was the object of my letter, interrupting the very ritual that I finally chose to invoke to move on from our failed attempt. I nearly dropped my candle at that point too. He was driving by, and most definitely saw me. We haven't spoken since we parted ways. He stopped in the middle of the road for a minute, and then kept driving. I don't live in a super busy road, and he does work at night, but he's usually parked somewhere and not driving around. I was pretty shaken but still I tried to pick up where I left off. I had no focus and couldn't do it. I ended up going back inside with the letter, which has partially singed corners, and felt completely confused. I resolved to finish the following night, but I just didn't feel like I had the emotional energy.

I'm almost feeling like I shouldn't do it at all at this point. I've decided to wait until the next full moon, and give myself some time to meditate and ask for more guidance. A part of me thinks that since the only actual intent involved is letting go and moving on, there's no reason why i shouldn't do it. I'm definitely not the type to wait around for a guy to choose whether I'd rate second or first in his life, and I don't plan to start now. Maybe it's all just a coincidence. I'm still trying to sort that out.

But I'm curious, has anyone else ever been in a similar situation, and what are your thoughts on being interrupted during a spell or ritual? What made you decide to stop or continue?
Myrth

Re: Spell/ritual interrupted, and your beliefs on it

Post by Myrth »

Follow your intuition. It may not be the right time.
Myrth
Fae

Post by Fae »

Myrth wrote:Follow your intuition. It may not be the right time.
Thanks Myrth, that's definitely why I decided to give myself some more time to sort through everything. It crossed my mind that maybe I'm supposed to continue on this path. Thanks for your input.

Anyone else had anything similar happen, or stories they'd like to share?
blue_moon

Post by blue_moon »

I am - sadly - constantly interrupted with whatever I do! Spellwork, meditation, read, cook, use the bathroom - even just right now (twice since I started writing here).

As a teen I had the same opinion "being interrupted could mean it's not right just now" - if I'd still live that I'd have to stay in bed all day *lol*

But in your case I absolutely understand what holds you back! You weren't only "interrupted" by somebody - but you felt the presence of this specific person what distracted you.

Just wait and see what you feel and trust your intuition. Waiting for the next full moon or whatever will happen in between sounds good - I'd say.
BB

Blue Moon
Heartsong

Post by Heartsong »

My husband used to have a very bad habit of wandering in on me when I was conducting a ritual to see what I was doing. A lot of it was just him being curious, but he really didn't understand the concept of creating a sacred space. Once he walked right through my circle during the middle of a pretty big spell munching on a sandwich and trying to talk to me! I still continued with the spell, after I had walked him out of the room and explained what I was doing and why it was important that I wasn't interrupted. For me, the need to complete the ritual was strong enough that I felt like I could overcome the break in concentration, and as far as I could determine, I was successful.

That being said, I agree with you waiting until the next full moon to gather your thoughts and feelings. I was lucky enough to still be collected to perform my spell, and what I was working on wasn't as emotionally draining. I think that, in your circumstances, there may have been forces at work that wanted you to pause.
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Becks

Post by Becks »

That's quite a comedic picture Hearstong, though I can imagine it was less than funny at the time.
Heartsong

Post by Heartsong »

Becks wrote:That's quite a comedic picture Hearstong, though I can imagine it was less than funny at the time.
Heh, yeah, I can laugh about it now, but I was pretty livid at that moment. I felt like he wasn't respecting my beliefs or my space when really, he was trying to understand it. Albeit, he didn't go about it the best way, but we were able to talk about it and it worked out. :)
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
blue_moon

Post by blue_moon »

Heartsong, that could have been my husband! (Your story made me laugh :p )
He is so curious. .. whenever I set things up he's right there standing in the room staring at my preparations.
BB

Blue Moon
Fae

Post by Fae »

Thank you all for providing such wonderful and thoughtful advice. Sometimes even when you know what's right, it still helps to have it reiterated I suppose.

I'm pretty lucky that I rarely get interrupted. Being single with no children and a roommate that sleeps like the dead in the middle of the night, it's usually not an issue. But I can imagine some of the hardships you must face with family around, needing help or just curious about what you're doing. But the sandwich part - all I can say is omg lol!

And thank you as well blue_moon, it was definitely more the fact of who was doing the interrupting than the actual interruption I think, and your exact words helped me to understand that a little better. I'm definitely going to think on it some more, I guess it's possible that particular hardship still has some sort of lesson to be learned or finished before I start fully letting go.

Thank you guys again for sharing your stories and thoughts!

Heartsong, that mental picture of a husband just wandering through with a sandwich literally had me in tears from laughing so hard. It's sweet that he wants to be involved, but there's a time and place man! I can only imagine trying to explain it to someone you love in a way that won't upset them or make them feel rejected.
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

While reading this thread, I had a few questions rumble
thru my head...
You said that's not a busy street, so I would gather it's
not a route he would normally take-right ?
Why drive down your street ? Was he expecting you
to come running out to the street arms wide-open ?
Was he that insecure he had to drive down your road
to make himself feel better ? Is he worth it ?
Gentle Indigo Light
MsMollimizz
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings
Fae

Post by Fae »

MsMollimizz wrote:
While reading this thread, I had a few questions rumble
thru my head...
You said that's not a busy street, so I would gather it's
not a route he would normally take-right ?
Why drive down your street ? Was he expecting you
to come running out to the street arms wide-open ?
Was he that insecure he had to drive down your road
to make himself feel better ? Is he worth it ?
Gentle Indigo Light
MsMollimizz
Hi there! Those are valid questions to ask because the situation doors seem strange. What I was doing was more for myself, a way of forgiving and moving on, of saying goodbye, even if only to one aspect of our relationship, even if it's not forever. I've done it for many relationships that ended, needed to end, or that I felt like we're ending, platonic or romantic alike. I've always felt it allows me to let go of my negative emotions and hurt, and while I've never really given it a name, I guess it could be considered a ritual.

As far as him driving by... it could go either way. It's possible he was doing it to "check up on me" so to speak, but it's also likely to be coincidence I'd guess. He's night shift and the station is less than a mile from my house. There's always the chance of him or a co-worker of his driving by, but we live in a pretty quiet town, so they're usually only seen when going on or off duty, as most of their shift is spent parked in certain areas. I've never been interrupted before, and I do quite a bit of my spell work between the 2 and 4 am mark outside, especially in the warmer months.

It's definitely an unusual situation, and I appreciate your input.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”