Practice makes perfect/Abuse of Power

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
FoxwidoW

Practice makes perfect/Abuse of Power

Post by FoxwidoW »

Merry meet, all!

So I've been doing a great deal of studying, and I keep coming across a common discrepancy: on one hand, many sources say to be mindful of how we practice Magick. Not to use it for any old thing, but to wait until we are clear on our intentions. And on the other hand, I have sources that say to use it as often as you can, to practice, to bathe in the light that we can bring with our practice.
I'm not entirely sure though, where the line is drawn. I never want to take advantage of the gods, but at which point can I say "yes, this matter could use a little magick" instead of "don't be ridiculous. You cant bother the gods for this.."

It almost seems a silly question now that I put it out there, but I'm only just getting my bearings as far as practice, and I want to practice as often as I can - without being unfair to either myself or those we call on.

How did you start? Did you dive right in with just any old thing? Something simple?

Any insight would be graciously accepted :)
Becks

Re: Practice makes perfect/Abuse of Power

Post by Becks »

Well here's the thing.....I think we need it first define the kind of magic we are practicing. I practice magic daily in really mundane ways and so I would say I lead a magical life. It's pretty integrated. My regular practice would be:

-Cleaning my house with intention as I literally scrub/wash etc. Then I do a smudge to spiritually cleanse (at least weekly)
-Laundry is done with intent....add soap...maybe a bit of salt to energetically clean clothing.
-cooking is mindful and thankfully done with love. I think about herbal correspondences and put good intention in my meals. I serve them with love.
-tea is made sacred by using herbal correspondences...drinking in intent.
-showering.....done to rid myself of negativity and ground....not just get clean.
-I light a candle every night and thank the creator for blessings and send good vibes to people who I know need them.
-gathering/foraging for medicine is done in the wooded park behind my place. I talk to the plants and animals. Thanks given...divination on the animals and plants I see.
-I send people blessings.

This is all so easy and happens in a moment-many times daily. There is joy in being present and it's great. I'm not always perfectly on it, but I try to be mindful.

I define this as magical practice at its simplest level....

For me, another part of my practice is the "Big Work". That is heavier spells, divination, ceremony for calming, cleaning spaces of energies, appealing to the creator for guidance....self defence, healing, cleansing and dedication in nature...or whatever you can picture doing "big work" for....that would go here.

So, I practice everyday....I literally do magic everyday, and I think that's great for me. It helps me tune in to my peers, those around me, and it allows me to see the world in a beautiful different way. It also helps develop my senses and abilities.

Circle casting, sympathetic magic and all that other stuff isn't done all the time in my life, I don't need it....unless I am hoping to do something specific....but right now my desire is to get to December and have that second degree in my hand. It's an unbelievable amount of work. When I am teaching and have that sorted, then I will delve deeper into my practice and probably work on a few of my more "unusual" skills. Right now I'm literally just coasting and making sure I eat, do my homework, and get pants on!! I don't even want to think about my teaching practicum! Haha... :lol:

Does that help?
Myrth

Post by Myrth »

That is an excellent description, Becks. I use magic daily in small ways also. Bigger workings are carefully planned. But the little daily things are simply one's magical life.
Myrth
FoxwidoW

Post by FoxwidoW »

Thank you so much! I suppose I should clarify that I also do my best to make every part of my day magickal. In particular, I'm fond of channeling blessings into treats I can give away, and I do enjoy making a ceremony out of the mundane. Becks, you've done more than answer my questions; you've provided a nice affirmation to other things that have been on my mind.

I did mean 'big works' specifically; I often feel the need to release energy (my hands will absolutely tingle with good vibes sometimes, and I'd love to find new ways to release it!) and I suppose ritual working feels like a good avenue to take. So I'm all ears (or eyes) for suggestions on that, too!!
SilverWort

Post by SilverWort »

Becks wrote:Well here's the thing.....I think we need it first define the kind of magic we are practicing. I practice magic daily in really mundane ways and so I would say I lead a magical life.
Or your definition or magic. For me, magic is a mix of two things, energy and will. If you put energy and will, you're doing magic. I practice magic almost all day, but most times don't think about, it becomes natural and unconscious to me, not for big things, but daily things.

FoxwidoW wrote:Not to use it for any old thing, but to wait until we are clear on our intentions. And on the other hand, I have sources that say to use it as often as you can, to practice, to bathe in the light that we can bring with our practice.

This two things don't contradict, you have a very clear intention if you choose to practice. Magic comes from yourself, not from gods. You can pray for help, of course, but magic is yours, is your energy and your will, and yours are the consequences.
SilverWort

Post by SilverWort »

FoxwidoW wrote: I did mean 'big works' specifically; I often feel the need to release energy (my hands will absolutely tingle with good vibes sometimes, and I'd love to find new ways to release it!) and I suppose ritual working feels like a good avenue to take. So I'm all ears (or eyes) for suggestions on that, too!!
Ground yourself and let excess of energy get back to earth. If you need more energy, ground yourself and take required energy.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

FoxwidoW wrote: I often feel the need to release energy (my hands will absolutely tingle with good vibes sometimes, and I'd love to find new ways to release it!)
Taking energy-healing classes might be a good outlet for you. Lots out there to choose from.

Myrth

Post by Myrth »

FoxwidoW wrote:I did mean 'big works' specifically; I often feel the need to release energy (my hands will absolutely tingle with good vibes sometimes, and I'd love to find new ways to release it!) and I suppose ritual working feels like a good avenue to take. So I'm all ears (or eyes) for suggestions on that, too!!
I practice Reiki every day. It is a lovely way to use energy for healing mind, body and spirit and is used to heal yourself and others. If you want to expand your energy work, I highly recommend it.
Myrth
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Becks wrote:Well here's the thing.....I think we need it first define the kind of magic we are practicing. I practice magic daily in really mundane ways and so I would say I lead a magical life. It's pretty integrated. My regular practice would be:

-Cleaning my house with intention as I literally scrub/wash etc. Then I do a smudge to spiritually cleanse (at least weekly)
-Laundry is done with intent....add soap...maybe a bit of salt to energetically clean clothing.
-cooking is mindful and thankfully done with love. I think about herbal correspondences and put good intention in my meals. I serve them with love.
-tea is made sacred by using herbal correspondences...drinking in intent.
-showering.....done to rid myself of negativity and ground....not just get clean.
-I light a candle every night and thank the creator for blessings and send good vibes to people who I know need them.
-gathering/foraging for medicine is done in the wooded park behind my place. I talk to the plants and animals. Thanks given...divination on the animals and plants I see.
-I send people blessings.

This is all so easy and happens in a moment-many times daily. There is joy in being present and it's great. I'm not always perfectly on it, but I try to be mindful.

I define this as magical practice at its simplest level....

For me, another part of my practice is the "Big Work". That is heavier spells, divination, ceremony for calming, cleaning spaces of energies, appealing to the creator for guidance....self defence, healing, cleansing and dedication in nature...or whatever you can picture doing "big work" for....that would go here.

So, I practice everyday....I literally do magic everyday, and I think that's great for me. It helps me tune in to my peers, those around me, and it allows me to see the world in a beautiful different way. It also helps develop my senses and abilities.

Circle casting, sympathetic magic and all that other stuff isn't done all the time in my life, I don't need it....unless I am hoping to do something specific....but right now my desire is to get to December and have that second degree in my hand. It's an unbelievable amount of work. When I am teaching and have that sorted, then I will delve deeper into my practice and probably work on a few of my more "unusual" skills. Right now I'm literally just coasting and making sure I eat, do my homework, and get pants on!! I don't even want to think about my teaching practicum! Haha... :lol:

Does that help?
Brilliantly put Becks! And, I have no doubt you will ace your degree too :)
WiccanWitch

Post by WiccanWitch »

What is important to one person may not be to another. That is also to say we cannot gauge what is or isn't important to the gods or whatever deity you are worshipping. Saying that I would say that any time you feel you need help, guidance, or just want to share your thoughts or feelings is a good time to look to your craft. It's not as though they need to pencil you in. God or the gods have no use for the concept of time as we know it so we couldn't possibly be wasting it.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”